Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Rentsch

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michael

Michael Report 10 Feb 2011 10:39

Yesterday, on FriendsReunited, a question appeared at the top right hand corner of the screen - ' So what is the story behind the RENTSCH family? It told you to go to GR, but I could find nothing there. Does anyone have any info, as this was my maiden name?

Michael

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 10 Feb 2011 10:53

Could you give us some idea of forenames places and approximate dates?

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2011 11:00

It was probably just an advertising ploy to get you to use GenesReunited.

There is this record on Ancestry's Probate Callendar:-

Name: William Rentsch
Probate Date: 14 Dec 1905
Death Date: 20 Jul 1905
Death Place: Middlesex, England
Registry: London

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2011 11:02

There is this on Genes in the 1901 census (and quite a few other records):-

Name Albertine J Rentsch
Relation to Head of Family Niece
Age Last Birthday 39
Sex Female
Profession or Occupation Governess Private
Employment Status
Condition as to Marriage Single
Where Born Australia British Subject
Address 23 Columbia Rd
Civil Parish Bolton
Rural District
Town or Village or Hamlet
Ecclesiastical Parish St Luke
Parliamentary Borough or Division Bolton
County Borough, Municipal Borough or Urban District Bolton
Administrative County Bolton
Ward of Municipal Borough or Urban District West
Language

Kath. x

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 10 Feb 2011 11:03

Hi Michael, the "Trying To Find" board is where you will find other GR member's who are willing to help you research your Ancestors. As LadyKira has said, you will need to provide us with some information. Good Luck. PH

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 10 Feb 2011 11:11

there are quite a few records i have found but i guess you are not micheal or you would not have a maiden name.
is this your first marriage?

Michael

Michael Report 10 Feb 2011 11:19

Thanks everyone - I have discovered over 300 Rentsch names on GR - mainly Victoria in Oz and Germany, but there is only one who was born in Switzerland. The 'advertising ploy' only interested me as Rentsch was my maiden name, and although my married name originated in the UK it has been since 1973 an official Swiss name.

The advert asked 'what is the story?', and that is what I was looking for and not any paticular ancestor.

But, once agin, thank you all very much for the data given

Michael

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Feb 2011 11:23

I think "what is the story?" is just their way of hoping you will join and try to find the "story" of your family history.

Kath. x

Michael

Michael Report 10 Feb 2011 11:23

Thanks everyone - I have discovered over 300 Rentsch names on GR - mainly Victoria in Oz and Germany, but there is only one who was born in Switzerland. The 'advertising ploy' only interested me as Rentsch was my maiden name, and although my married name originated in the UK it has been since 1973 an official Swiss name.

The advert asked 'what is the story?', and that is what I was looking for and not any paticular ancestor.

But, once agin, thank you all very much for the data given

Michael

Michael

Michael Report 11 Feb 2011 12:14

Hi LadyKira,

Sorry to disappoint you, but I am deinitely Michael.

I was married twice in Switzerland, once to a Swiss National who I met in Jugoslavia, and then to a Jugoslav I met In Switzerland.

Over the years the law has changed, but at the times of my marriages the family name is the surname of the male then - + female's surname.
Hence R-Rentsch + R-Savic.

Now it is possible for the woman to carry on using her name, but to donate that she is married her name would be Rentsch R....... ( no hyphen). Alternatively, the husband can adopt his wife's name and the family name would be Rentsch only.

It would be interesting to know what data you have over Rentschs of Switzerland.

Thanks

Michael