Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Julia Blease

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 15 Nov 2006 16:15

I hope you can help, I trying to help my Granddad look for his Grandfather Mr William Robinson, who was a merchant seaman sailing from Liverpool and Birkenhead around the years 1880 to 1906, I’ve been told he went missing around 1906, his date of birth was about 1863 (info below). We are also unable to locate his wife, Ann Jane Robinson (nee Mottram) death certificate or grave, we believe she died in childbirth after finding out William was missing. My Granddads dad and siblings were then taken into care, my granddad also tried to search for their location through Barnardos but to no avail. My granddad is no longer able to search for his relatives and has passed all information and letters to me to carry out his work, it breaks my heart to see how hard he has tried. Please see below, marriage certificates and the only birth certificates he was able to find: Marriage Cert of William and Ann/Anne Jane in1886. Marriage Solemnized at: S Pauls Church District of: Parish of S Paul Tranmere in the County of Chester No: 237 When Married: May 23rd 1886 Name and Surname: William Robinson Age: 23 Condition: Bachelor Rank: Steward Residence a.t.o.m: Tranmere Father’s Name and Surname: William Robinson Rank: Laboured Name and Surname: Anne Jane Mottram (Notice that the name is spelt Anne but later on, on the birth cert’s for her children her name is down as Ann.) Age: 23 Condition: Spinster Rank: Blank Residence a.t.o.m: Tranmere Father’s Name and Surname: Thomas Mottram Rank: Miller In the presence of David Sargent and Eliza Sargent. Re Issued: on 5th October 1990. We have then found them on a copy of the 1891 Cencus, (Poor copy) Page 40, No. 296, Living at 115 Grafton Street, Toxteth. William’s down as head of the family, age 28 as a Sea Ship Steward, born North Shields, Durham (I have been told that north shields is not part of or ever has been part of Durham, this was by North Tyneside Council, so am not sure if this is correct). Ann is down as wife and they have two children, William age 3 and Ellen age 2. Birth Cert for Daughter Janet in 1891. Reg Dis: Toxteth Park In 1891 Sub-District at Toxteth Park in the Counties of Liverpool and Lancaster. No: 295 When Born and where: 12th May 1891 at 115 Grafton Street, Liverpool usd. Name: Janet Sex: Girl Name and Surname of father: William Robinson Name and surname and maiden name of mother: Ann Jane Robinson Formerly Mottram. Occupation of father: Ship Steward Sig, Disc and residence: Ann Jane Robinson, Mother at 115 Grafton Street, Toxteth Park. When Reg: 29th June 1891 Re Issued on: 10th Feb 1993 Birth Cert for Son Benjamin in 1897. Reg Dis: Toxteth Park In 1897 Sub-District at Toxteth Park in the County of Liverpool C.B No: 232 When Born and where: 23rd Oct 1896, 33 Essex Street, Liverpool, u.d. Name: Benjamin Sex: Boy Name and Surname of father: William Robinson Name and surname and maiden name of mother: Ann Jane Robinson Formerly Mottram. Occupation of father: Ship Steward Sig, Disc and residence: W Robinson, Father, 33 Essex Street, Toxteth Park. When Reg: 18th Jan 1897 Re Issued on: 12th Sep 1990 I believe William and Ann Jane also had a son Thomas and daughter Jeanette Robinson, but their DOB’s have not been found. Thank you so much for taking the time to read this. Best wishes, Julia Blease.