Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Robinson

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alan

Alan Report 29 Oct 2004 18:09

Hi, I am trying to find out more about the Robinson family ex-Belper, who went to seek their fortune in the lace industrty in Lille, France, and then Calais early in the 19th century. Specifically, Thomas Robinson (b Belper 1808) married Mary Anne King (b Nottingham 1806) in Paris and they settled in Lille, having 10 children. One of them was Guillaume (William) my great grandfather (b Lille 1835). Another was Thomas, born in 1833, also in the lace industry, who returned with his wife and son Edward to Lenton Notts and had three more children there. Guillaume (William) later moved to Calais and had three children by Marie Louise Briot, a French woman: William b Calais 1875, George b Calais 1877 and Henri (my grandfather) b Calais 1878. The family returned to Hyson Green, Nottingham, soon afterwards and two more children were born there (James 1881 and Mary Louise 1884). Their mother (Marie Louise) died 10 days after childbirth in 1884 and their father died in Shardlow in 1888. The five children were separated. William and Henri went to the Workhouse in Shardlow and Henri later married Emma Elizabeth Seale in Nottingham and they emigrated to South Africa. I have never been able to trace William, but George was spotted in the 1901 census working as a gas fitter in Derby. Henri was in correspondence with James, married with a son Ezra William in Shardlow as late as 1910. Nobody ever knew what happened to their sister Mary Louise. Any help anybody can give me in tracing any members of the family and their descendants would be hugely appreciated. Alan Robinson New Romney Kent UK.