Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

cooper

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Steven

Steven Report 6 Jan 2010 15:31

Hi can any help please im looking for Sarah Elizabeth cooper around 1837. mother hannah cooper markfeild leicester .hannahs parents thomas and mary cooper baptism for hannah oct 8th 1832 markfeild
many thanks
steve

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Jan 2010 15:57

You're looking for her ... in a census, marrying, dying, kids?

Can you specify, and say what and where you do have for her?

And ... she was born 1837 and her mother was baptised 1832?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Jan 2010 16:04

This appears to be Sarah, grandparents Thomas and Mary

Name: Sarah Cooper
Estimated birth year: abt 1838
Where born: Leicestershire, England

Civil parish: Markfield
Hundred: Sparkenhoe
County/Island: Leicestershire

Thomas Cooper 60
Mary Cooper 61
Joseph Cooper 6
Sarah Cooper 3

but the christening date for Hannah still makes no sense, and where did you get the name Hannah as Sarah's mother please?

Births Mar 1838 (>99%)
Cooper Sarah Market Bosworth 15 188

possibly?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Jan 2010 16:35

Hmm, yes, I did see that, but really, ?

I also did a little search an Steven has quite a large number of threads about Coopers in Markfield, I wonder whether there is anything in any of them. Was Markfield a very large place or just inhabited entirely by Coopers, lol?

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 6 Jan 2010 19:27

Yes, it seems Steven is a bit of a diligent researcher! With Coopers, one would have to be, lol. There are two Cooper threads on page one today alone!

Steven

Steven Report 7 Jan 2010 19:38

Hi Hannah cooper 8th of may 1816
thomas & mary cooper lab
thomas cooper son 0f
thomas & mary cooper
7th feb 1819
thomas cooper 1822
steve

Steven

Steven Report 7 Jan 2010 19:42

Hi Hannah cooper 8th of may 1816
thomas & mary cooper lab
thomas cooper son 0f
thomas & mary cooper
7th feb 1819
thomas cooper 1822
steve
Hannah married Charles clapham 1839 jul -aug -sep market bosworth leicestershire
vol 15
page 209
steve

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 7 Jan 2010 19:43

Steven ... how does that relate to what you said in your first post?

What are you looking for???

Steven

Steven Report 7 Jan 2010 19:55

nope not diligent just that i dont have any aunts or uncles to talk to about my mothers family they have all passed awy so have had to do this all on my own i do have the dec list that some did for me from charles and elizabeth and their side of the family and who they married into and where they all whent to live but didnt have much on this side so i asled for help i dont come very often and had to work from my local libary where they had the markfeild census .i dont come on to be called names all i wanted was little bit of help if i had uncles and aunts i would have asked them about it but i dont .
steve

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 7 Jan 2010 20:15

Steven, you might want to look up the word 'diligent'.

Let me help. It means hard-working and careful.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 7 Jan 2010 23:58

Steve, if you are satisfied that I was complimenting you and not insulting you, I hope you won't mind now. So much of what you have said just doesn't make sense.

>> just that we didnt have much on sarah .i have her mother bap 1822 oct 8th hannah dau of thomas &mary markfeild farmer wm.briggs curate

In your first post you said that Hannah was born in _1832_ not 1822.

Is that not the baptism that Freewheel put above?

HANNAH COOPER
Christening: 08 OCT 1832 Markfield, Leicester, England
parents Thomas and Mary

That Hannah cannot possibly be the mother of Sarah born around 1837.

Is there another Hannah daughter of Thomas and Mary born in 1822?

>> hannahs brother was cahrles cooper born 1801 who is my mothers relation

>> i have also the markfeild 1841 census with sarah and her parents
thomas age 60 ag lab
mary 61
joseph age 6 sarah 3

That's the census I put above.

But you told us that Sarah's mother was Hannah Cooper and she was the daughter of Thomas and Mary. Is that what you meant, Sarah and her _grand_parents Thomas and Mary?

>> hannah married into clapham family 1889 .

Hannah the person who was born in 1822 or 1832 or whenever it was?? I am afraid I might doubt that. Must be some other Hannah.

Steve, what is the question? Is it what happened to Sarah Elizabeth Cooper?

I think we still don't know why you say her mother was Hannah.

Steven

Steven Report 9 Jan 2010 18:54

Hi my mother linda cooper was born 1941 markfeild lane newtown linford leicester to ernest cooper born 1907 markfeild his father was joseph cooper her mother was constance lily deacon . thomas was the father of charles cooper 1801 markfeild his wife was elizabeth cooper born 1810 stanton under bardon markfeild .we think her parents was thomas and sarah cooper but cant say for sure as i dont have her birth cert as we cant get it its to early we know.
her and Charles died 1889 june market bosworth rd i have the family des list with all this on and they lived on stoke hays farm ratby lane markfeild 1851
all i was after was Charleses fathers daut sarah and when she was born .joseph cooper was the father of my mothers father.
charles and elizabeth also lived in markfeild in 1861 -1871 thornton Rd markfeild .1881 Ellists lane ,farm markfeild
charles and Elizabeth had a dau alice geary cooper born 1834 markfeild
john cooper son .b. 1836 markfeild .d. between 1908-1915 mrt bos rd .m. ma martha kirby march 1870 ,barrow Rd .b. 1830 belgrave .d. december 1915 ,mkt bos rd .john was a farmer and carter for Abraham geary farmer they whent to live mowmaker hill belgrave leice .then horsepool lane markfeild 1891.1901 cliffe hill markfeild
joseph cooper .b. dec 1837,markfeild
Abraham cooper.b. sep 1840 markfeild
caleb cooper .b. dec 1842 markfeild
william cooper .b. 1846 markfeild
james cooper .b. june 1848 markfeild .d.1874 mrk bos rd
alice geary cooper daugther of Charles was born 1834 in markfeild .she married john Elliott dec 1858 in mrk bos rd he was born 1826 in whitwick and died march 1907 in mrk bos rd charles ahd a son called cahrles who was bor 1850 markfeild .d. sep 1867 mrk bos rd .
wiiliam coopers wife was called nora annie gardner they married feb 20th 1926 markfeild.
Abraham cooper married twice once to a mary anne brookes in 1872 markfeild . and a elizabeth bouton in 1864 in barrow upon soar she came from gainsborough lincolnshire he was
killed at markfeild Quarry .
my mothers fathers ,father married mary ellen massey 1896 in markfeild joseph was born 1899 markfeild birth index 1898 apr-may -june market bosworth leicester 7A they had six children george
joseph
john.c. cooper
amy cooper .b. 1902 markfeild
evelyn cooper 1904 markfeild
steve

Steven

Steven Report 12 Jan 2010 18:56

Hi haanh cooper
markfeild
1839 sept 8th
Charles clapham full age .b. cordwinder markfeild
father william clapham f.w.k
Hanniah cooper full age
spinster
father thomas cooper lab
markfeild church
charles cooper made his mark
hannah made hers
marriege in the prestens of john hoult&john morris
marriage solmised in parish church of markfeild
curate
Charles dudly
steve

Steven

Steven Report 25 Jan 2010 19:59

Hi bruce
if we can find some one on the hopkinson family in markfeild leicester they could possibly help with all this and get all cleared up thats if there is anystill around the witness was a ann hopkinson markfeild with william geary .john geary was the clerk in 1830 at Charles and Elizabethes marriage in thornton leice
steve

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 29 Jan 2010 19:33

Steven I saw that you started another thread about the Hopkinsons and Gearys too, I don't know whether you have looked at the information there.

Meanwhile have you searched trees here at this website for any Hopkinson born in Markfield, someone has a William born 1823 or 1824, it could be that there is a connection.

Woolman

Woolman Report 22 Nov 2017 17:12

Hi guys
some years agao i had cliff hill quarry website for family history were you could look at who lived there and what they were doing .but cant find it any more any one know whats happend to it
thanks
steve

Woolman

Woolman Report 22 Nov 2017 17:23

markfield was a quarrying village and farming village familes married into each others familys i found some of them in libarys in books thomas and mary worked at bardon quarry .charles and elizabeth lived at stoke heys farm ratby in 1851 then moved to elliotts lane markfield .at the back of cliff hill quarry .their son john had a farm across from them which was sold at the flying horse pub in 1916 which i found in the coaltimes news paper roll at coalville libary which i cant any more because they got rid of my room were i used to research .and got rid of themachines which was down to the goverment stupid ideas on saving money shuting libarys so they knocked my room down at coalville ..
steve