Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Serjeant

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David

David Report 14 Jan 2005 10:30

HI, Trying to find relations to my father (John Farmery Serjeant) and/or my grandparents (Cornelius and Evelyn) who lived in the Accrington, Lancashire area throughout the c20th. Hope you can help. David

Alan

Alan Report 23 Jan 2021 23:27

Hello David,

A google search for "John Farmery Serjeant" found your 2005 message on Genes Reunited.

Whilst I don't know much about JFS you can view my website for Cornelius and Evelyn (FARMERY) SERJEANT:
https://farmery.one-name.net/getperson.php?personID=I446&tree=Kirklington

Would be good to hear back from you

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 23 Jan 2021 23:37

Unfortunately, David is no longer a member of GR, so there is no way to contact him.

He wouldn't be expecting replies here after 16 years, in any case!

Alan

Alan Report 24 Jan 2021 09:17

Thanks, I was hopeful he might still be a member - but couldn't see any way of verifying that?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jan 2021 09:33

Click on his name at the top of his post, as if you were going to send a private message.

If he was still a member his name would be in the "To" box.
But it isn't, so he's not.

Looking at your tree, I see that Vera was adopted by the Serjeants.
I don't see any Serjeant/Farmery births, so I assume John was too?

Without knowing his birth name, I'm afraid we have no chance of finding anything about his birth family, which I suppose was David's hope, and may also be yours.

Alan

Alan Report 24 Jan 2021 19:08

Thanks for the tip on knowing whether or not someone was still a member.

Just found David has a tree on Ancestry (he has been a member since 2014 - but hasn't signed in for over a year so that too may have lapsed). His father isn't named so presumably still alive. I have a note that he was also adopted - but can't recall my source for that. Maybe I have already been in touch with David sometime in the past?!

I am doing a one-name study of the FARMERY surname anywhere and everywhere - and during lockdown have been tidying up loose ends and rechecking all my various trees.

My last "sighting" of JFS was in 1978 when he proved his mother's will.

Thanks for taking the time and interest in me tracking David down. Maybe one day he'll google John Farmery Serjeant and find these messages, just like I did yesterday!

Best wishes,

Alan

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Jan 2021 23:50

John F gets a mention in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th posts on the linked page below:

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f127/dance-halls-60669-4.html

He is still alive (or at least was in 2020).

However, as already said, without knowing his birth name, it's impossible to trace his birth family.

I wonder if JFS has applied for his adoption record:

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

There are also instrctions there on applying for the original birth record (ie - in birth name) if birth name not known.

ADDED:
PM sent to Alan with possible address for David.