Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Frances Dibnah Spencer's Birth

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:17

Hi All, Hope someone could help.
I ordered my g.grandmas birth certificate (Edith Amy Rhodes born sub district Nether Hallam, Reg Dist Ecclesall Bierlow in Sheffield. Her mother name on the certificate is Frances Dibnah Rhodes formley Spencer. I've tried freeBMD but can not find an entry i thought with a name like Dibnah it would be easy to find!
Any information much appreciated! Thanks

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:20

Of course they would!! Brain fart!!

Right - Frances Dibnah Spencers daughter was born 26th Jan 1896

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:22

I have ordered Frances marriage certificate today what i found on freeBMD
and the wedding is;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1895 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rhodes John Ecclesall B. 9c 490

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:26

Thats the Edith Amy Rhodes Certificate i ordered.
How come i search freeBMD i do not get the Frances Dibnah Spencer? I have just searched that year and still nothing!

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:27

On my g.grandmas bith certificate her name is definately written Frances first then Dibnah! Ummm

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:33

The census page could be her, would not know unitl i get the marriage certificate through. Her age matches for the birth entry you found me. Her middle name is Delenat instead?
I'm sorry iam lost on what you mean about Dibnah!! Is Dibnah a name or does it mean something?

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 10:41

Rightttttttt!! I see!!
Your very good at this! I am very grateful for you help and answering my newby questions!
Still when i search freeBMD for Dibnah Frances Spencer i can not find an entry?!!

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 5 Jun 2009 10:41

SomersetGirl....................you chickened out

The date of the marriage is the same period Frances was born

You will have to buy the marriage & Frances's birth certificate

As said it was quite common

""Is Dibnah a name or does it mean something?""

What about the famous FRED ........
sadly missed

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 11:33

Did i say something daft? ;-) lol

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 5 Jun 2009 13:49

Oh! That's kind of confusing:
FreeBMD
Births Mar 1876
SPENCER Frances Spencer Sheffield 9c 560
Births Mar 1876
DIBNAH Frances Spencer Sheffield 9c 560

Maureen

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 5 Jun 2009 17:53

I would guess that Frances was not actually registered twice as both entries have the same entry no. (97) - register no. 87

Perhaps the registrar was confused and when he completed the name in the main indexes copy for the General Register Office he put in in twice by mistake or the one of the original entries should have been crossed through. It is not possible to look at the index pages from freebmd from which their entries were transcribed which suggests that they were old copies. Neither entry has been verified which may eventually be done from a rescanned copy.

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 5 Jun 2009 18:31

Thanks everyone for you input into this! Really appreciated indeed!
So thats why i can not see a scan like you can for other enteries then.
Then do you think i should order with the information provided on freeBMD? I must admit the transcribed stuff has always been good so far from what i have seen.

FAIRTHORN

FAIRTHORN Report 6 Jun 2009 02:50

When you register a child, you could if that quarter of the year ( BEFORE computers )
& before the copy indexes were passed to Somerset House, alter the data given.

Odds are she was registered twice, because her parents married AFTER her birth.

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 6 Jun 2009 09:31

Thanks for that FAIRTHORN, so will there be anything on the birth certificate to show this? I'm thinking cloumn 10 'Name entered after registration' may show the change? Any ideas?
I have ordered the birth cirtificate so that should be here end of next week sometime.

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 6 Jun 2009 16:07

I may be wrong as there may be other uses but I think column 10 was used where the child had originaly been registered with a blank forename (on indices as 'MALE' or 'FEMALE') and their actual forename was added later.

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 6 Jun 2009 16:29

Thanks for the reply, there is a lot of clever people on GR!

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 7 Jun 2009 02:48

OK-Glad to hear that the cert is on its way!
I agree with lancashireann that it's a matter of the name being reported twice to the GRO. It's still the same birth cert,though.
I'm able (Ancestry) to see both typewritten refs. (i.e .DIBNAH and SPENCER)

Maureen

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 10 Jun 2009 20:33

Well the wedding certifcate arrived for my Frances Dibanh Spencer to John Rhodes. It was on Oct 20th 1895.
Her name is written as above, so wonder what it will be on the birth certificate then.
The Father is Francis John Spencer whos occupation is down as silversmith so that matches the 1881 census! Thanks for that info.
The address for my Frances Dibanh Spencer is ''back of 33 Carson Road'' conjurs up a not so wonderful life!

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Jun 2009 05:54

If the parents weren't married, the child's birth would be rego'ed in the mum's name. If, at that time, or later, the father acknowledged the child as his, his name would be added to the b.cert. The child was free to use either name.

Re column 10 - in the early days, some people thought it didn't really matter what you told the registrar about the kid's name, what really mattered was what name he was baptized under, so column 10 was put there so that people could present a baptismal certificate, and have that name recorded if it was different. They had 1 year to do this, and there was no extra charge.

1Luke84

1Luke84 Report 11 Jun 2009 09:26

Thanks for the mgnv, more information to store in the grey matter. Thanks for the help. Luke