Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Issac and Albert Spencer, Hunslet

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 16 Jul 2009 22:26

Hi
I am tryihg to find more information out about 2 brothers Issac and Albert Spencer.

Albert Spencer was born in 1881 in Leeds and married Mary Agnes Holmes, they had 7 children. Albert ran a pub the Royal Oak on Kirkgate or down by the market, I am trying to find anything else out about him really.

issac was born in 1883 in Methley, Leeds. I know he ran The Goodman, on Goodman St in Hunslet around the 1950's. I am trying to find anything out about Issac (known as Ike), he apparenlty bought my grandfather up, but we dont know if he married, had his own children etc,

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Vicki

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2009 08:50

i have to admit Paula i haven't. I have been on the 1911 census website and have put in relatives details and nothing ever comes up, it always says no records found so i'm a bit disillusioned with the whole thing! I may try again, maybe i'm not doing something right? My plan has always been to search for ancestor and if possible match comes up then pay the credit to view, do i maybe need to have credit before it will even show me results? Vicki

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 08:53

Could be Isaac on the 1911;

HOUSEHOLD SPENCER ISAAC M 1884 27 Hunslet Yorkshire West Riding

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 08:58

1901 England Census
about Isaac Spencer
Name: Isaac Spencer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Eliza
Where born: New Wortley, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Hunslet
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Hunslet
Sub-registration district: Hunslet
ED, institution, or vessel: 33
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 13
Household Members: Name Age
William Spencer 47 >>>>>>>> born Methley
Eliza Spencer 46
Walter Spencer 23
Isaac Spencer 18
James Spencer 13
Cecilia Spencer 9
Lucy Spencer 6

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 09:00

1891 England Census
about Isaac Spencer
Name: Isaac Spencer
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1883
Relation: Son
Father's Name: William
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Where born: Leeds, Yorkshire, England

Civil parish: Hunslet
Ecclesiastical parish: St Mary
County/Island: Yorkshire

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Hunslet
Sub-registration district: Hunslet
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
William Spencer 38
Elizabeth Spencer 36
Walter Spencer 13
William Spencer 13
Arthur Spencer 10 > born 1881 in Leeds
Isaac Spencer 8
James Spencer 3

No Albert with them??

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 09:06

Did mary Agnes just go by the name of Agnes??? (1911)

HOUSEHOLD SPENCER AGNES F 1884 27 Hunslet Yorkshire West Riding
HOUSEHOLD SPENCER ALBERT M 1883 28 Hunslet Yorkshire West Riding

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 17 Jul 2009 09:24

You don't have to have credits to do a search on the 1911.

HOUSEHOLD SPENCER ALBERT M 1883 28 Hunslet Yorkshire West Riding

You have probably been spelling Isaac wrong to not get a result.

How do you know they were brothers as I don't see an Isaac and Albert with the same parents in 1891/1901

Christine

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2009 13:33

Hi Christine, thanks for those, I agree Albert does not appear on the census' but i was contacted via hotmatches by someone asnd they have the mariage certificate of Albert and Isaac's grandparents and know that Albert's parents were Wliiam and Elizabeth, all their family information ties in directly with mine so there is no doubt Albert and Isaac were siblings.

I will try and 1911 census again as it seems some of yuo have had some success in at least getting a search result, if it says no results again I will probably feel like throwing the computer out of the window especially knowing you have managed it but in reality will probably be back on ehre asking for a lesson in how to use it! Thinking about it, if this Isaac did bring my grandfather up, then he would of been 3 in 1911 so that might help narrow my search down for Isaac.

I will let you know how I get on, thanks to every body for their help

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2009 13:57

Yeahhh we have success.

I know why I wasnt getting search results now. I was putting the location in as Hunslet which it didnt recognise, as soon as I put in Yorkshire alone, I found Isaac and the one Dennise and Carolyn found on the 1911 census is my one as it lists the address and my dad had told me he thought they had lived at Lake Terrace which they do, I believe another family member lived next door or on the same street but want to check this with my Dad who very inconviniently is away on the Norfolk Boards at the moment! before I use my 30 credits to view the original. Even more interesting my grandfather has cone up as living with his actual parents at the age of 3, and there is a sister who is only 1, which we never knew about so I am guessing that she maybe died in infancy? Will have to search the death records now.

Really appreciate all the help, it set me off on a path I had previously given up on so been a great help.

PaulaW

PaulaW Report 17 Jul 2009 16:17

I THINK but check before the transcription is only 10 credits on the 1911 it may be more if you view the actual image?

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2009 19:13

Paula you are right it is only 10 credits to view your search result. On the search result it tells you about the person you have searched, name, age, profession and place of birth, for 10 credits you can view the record which tells you the other members in the house so I now know that Isaac was married and how long he had been married, and where his wife was born. It also gives you their address for these 10 credits. For a further 30 credits I can view the original which I assume will be like the other census records and will tell me others on the same street/page.

cant wait for the kids to be in bed now so I can explore this family further!

BatMansDaughter

BatMansDaughter Report 17 Jul 2009 19:35

Hi Vicki,

The 30 credits will only show who's in that particular household. Once you have the street address pop it into the search box with your other ancestors name and hopefully the household should come up.

Dee xx

Victoria

Victoria Report 17 Jul 2009 20:49

Thanks for that tip Dennise, will give it a go