Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Tracing a family 1910 towards present day

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Victoria

Victoria Report 5 Aug 2010 13:47

Hi
I recently posted about the Spencer family in Hunslet asking about electrol roles. I now know some more information about the family but am feeling very frustrated as I dont know how to progress my search based on the fact it is more recent information I want.

There are 2 brothers that I am trying to track (see previous thread)

James Spencer and Jane (Johnson). I beleive they had a daughter Winifred born 1910 Hunslet but I have no family record of her, and cannot find a death registration, so I asume she died in infancy (although she does appear on the 1911 census).

I have also found a birth regisration for a Maud Spencer born 1914, father Spencer, mother maiden name Johnson, again no-one in the family seems to know of a Maud and again I have had no luck in tracing a death record.

James and Jane also had Walter Henry (1908), William, James and Irene. Walter was brought up by his Uncle, and didnt really know his own family (although he is still with them in 1911, age 3). I am wondering if this Winifred was another child taken in by a relative?

Is there any way I can find records, or anything to look into this. I know the Uncle Walter was taken into was a landlord of the Goodman pub in Hunslet around the 1950s and also a bareknuckle fighter. It is so hard as I have all these tit bits of information but no-one alive to ask, and as they are more recent events, I dont know where I can look to find any further detail out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Vicki

Jonesey

Jonesey Report 5 Aug 2010 13:55

Vicki,

Although I can understand your frustration may I just say that starting a new thread about the same family may result in helpers duplicating what information has already been added to your original one.

Best to simply add what you have written above to your original post and delete this one. Doing that will raise your old thread to the top of the list and I am sure that anyone who can help you with your quest will do so,

Jacky

Jacky Report 5 Aug 2010 14:11

can anyone find the original thread for this one as i maybe able to help victoria as i live in leeds & visit the main libaery to do searches so mite beable to help with eleatrol searches but can,t find original thread

jacky

jax

jax Report 5 Aug 2010 14:15

Think it is this one on Records

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.asp?wci=thread&tk=1223971

Jacky

Jacky Report 5 Aug 2010 14:16

cheers jax
will go have a look at it see i can help

jacky

Victoria

Victoria Report 6 Aug 2010 07:54

Thank you so much both Jonesy aNd Jacky, I will check out the original thread. Sorry I thought as it was adifferent section it would be best to start a new thread. I also apologise for not responding sooner, my little boy took a tumble down the stairs.