Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Vienna Spencer

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Vienna Esther

Vienna Esther Report 3 May 2007 09:41

Seek BRITISH SPENCER Cousins--- Are there any folk out there that descend from 'Henry of Badby' (ie- Henry Spencer of Badby,Northants.)--b.c.1385/d.c.1476-- who m. Isabel LINCOLN --and from whom 4 inter-related Spencer branches descend?(ie-'Spencers of Bedfordshire'; 'Nicholas of Cople' (branch 'off' the Bedfordshire line---Nick,Jr.became Gov.of Virginia-in early 1600s); 'Spencers of Althorp' (Princess Diana's line);and 'Marlborough Spencers' (a branch 'off' the 'Althorp' line)-Winston Churchill's line (ie-as his real full name was Winston SPENCER-Churchill). Anyway, I seek anyone who still TODAY possess the Spencer surname (or was their maiden name) who is in Britain that knows they descend from any of the above lines. Also if they haven't gotten that far back, but know that they descend from any of the following---- Daniel Spencer lived c.1600-1660 was successful London grocer---who died owning many properties, including the 'Red Lion Inn' in Hitchin' (hertfordshire). Or if you descend from his uncle, Richard Spencer c.1575-1630-ish, who was a haberdasher w/ his own shop along London Bridge, in London. If you descend from any of the above and possess Spencer surname still today(or was maiden name) PLEASE contact me,as i have much Spencer info (of these families) to share----lineage charts/Old Spencer photos/ bible page info/ family history,etc.,etc. Desperately seeking my British (blood) SPENCER cousins!!!

June

June Report 25 Aug 2007 22:52

Hello Vienna,
I have noticed you before, but my spencers (as far as I know) oringated from
whittlebury northamptonshire,.
I did buy a parchment of heraldry when in london a few years ago, and it said we are a branch of althrope! The spencers.,! when my brothers died I gave this to my nephew who lives in finland. and I have never been able to replace it! so I have asked him several times if he would take a copy and send me" I guess I shall have to go and fetch it!!! still waiting!
I did visit althorpe last summer and charles spencer was there signing the book he had written on the family! so I asked him (as I was doing family history" might prove yet to be one of the black sheep) to sign it ' to June (nee spencer) wich he did, regards charles. and we had a laugh!!!!

so you never know!!!
Two of my grandson's have spencer as there second name!!

regards, June Spencer Wright.

Stephen

Stephen Report 23 Sep 2007 07:43

Hi Vienna,

I have only got back to the 1830's but I have a Mary Ann Spencer (b about 1835 at Little Rissington. d 29/12/1902 in Australia) and married to Joseph Akers (1831 - 1889)

The Notes I have state as follows:

After the death of Joseph, Mary Ann married again, becoming Mrs M. A. Millar and there is no known issue from this marriage (Ref. Death Cert. 14917 : Mary Ann Millar).

Legend has it that Mary Ann may be connected to Lady Dianna Spencer (Princess of Wales). Facts that may point to this are 1 - Mary Ann was born and married in Gloucestershire (Home County of the Spencer/Churchill family 2 - Joseph and Mary Ann are proved to be well educated and well to do in that they paid their own fares to Australia and purchased property at Coonewarre (not many people in the 1850’s could afford this. 3 - Was Mary Ann disinherited for marrying Beneath her station ? 4 - A coat of arms shield of Akers name shows the heraldic mark of bastardry.

Was Joseph thrown out of England (a Remittance Man) ? It is believed that Mary Ann’s mother was a Lady in Waiting to Queen Victoria (Mary Ann’s Death Cert. states that her mothers maiden name was Eliza Tombs...

Eliza Tombs was married to John Spencer (1811 - 1858) and she had 10 children..

Not sure if all this is relevant to "your Spencer s"
but I would really like to know..

Please contact me on [email protected] if this is of interest..

regards

Steve Akers..