Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Storey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Natasha

Natasha Report 27 Feb 2006 13:35

Hi there I'm trying to find out more about my great-grandmother's family. She was called Ellen Storey and was born 19th June 1862 in Bishopwearmouth. (Her full name was Eleanor) She had a sister Catherine and brother Joseph, and a half-sister Margaret Gowens. Her parents were Sarah and Henry Storey. Her father died c.1864 and was born in Sedgehill, Northumberland. Her mother remarried Robert Gowens, c.1867, who had a son from a previous marriage. The family lived in Amble, Northumberland. Ellen married Thomas Fairbairn, a blacksmith, and in 1901 census they were living at Tyne Dock. Shortly after that they moved to Easington where Thomas worked at the colliery. They had children Tom (who went blind through measles as a young child), Catherine (aka Kitty), Henry, Ralph, George, and Alec. Henry and Ralph were killed in World War I. In 1914 they were living at 15 Tower Street, Easington, Co. Durham. When her husband died c.1933 she had to move out of the colliery house and moved to Sunderland, where she died in 1939. Before her marriage she was a head cook in a big house. Her sister Catherine Storey married Ralph Wilson and lived in South Shields (she had died by 1915). They had children Margaret (aka Peggy), Nellie, Nancy, George and Joseph Henry (the latter killed in 1915 in First World War). If any of these details ring any bells please get in touch. Her direct family were all in the North East, although her surviving children all moved South over the years. Natasha Fairbairn