Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Trying to find Tait

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Judy

Judy Report 25 Jan 2006 10:39

Trying to find relatives of Robert Tait a surface roadman who died aged 33 in Balmachellan Scotland in 1867. He was married to Mary McDonald in 1856 and they had 6 children. They were: James 1856 Mary 1859 Charles 1860 Agnes 1863 Catherine 1865 Sarah 1867 Mary had another son William (1870) after Roberts death. I would love to hear from anyone who has any information regarding the Taits.

Nan

Nan Report 25 Aug 2007 19:17

Hi Judy Was it possible that Mary had a daughter in 1873 - My Gr/Grandmother was Mary Tait who had a daughter in Stirling in 1873 We don't know where Mary was from all we have is her name on my Grandmother's birth,marriage and death certs. Nan

Judy

Judy Report 31 Aug 2007 12:17

Hi Nan

I'm afraid Mary didn't have anymore children after William, that I know of. She remarried in 1892, to her daughter-in-law's father, William McKeand.

If you would like to view my tree PM me and I will open it for you to look. I do have quite a few Tait relations so you might find something useful.

Judy

Judy

Judy Report 23 Sep 2007 11:05

Nudge

Dianne

Dianne Report 5 Oct 2007 02:35

Hi Judy, My Taits are from Balmaclellan in Kirkcudbrightshire. I dont know directly of the family you mention, and have only just begun working on this line. My g'grandmother was Isabella Tait b1856, daughter of Joseph Tait (bc 1821/22) & Mary Craik. Josephs parents were William Tait & Mary McVitae (McVitie). So far i have come across 2 other children of Wiliam and Mary, Isabella bc 1812, and Janet bc 1816. My g'grandmother Isabella (1856) was one of 12 childen. You can email me directly if you wish. My email addess is: [email protected]
regards
Dianne

Kenneth (Ken)

Kenneth (Ken) Report 19 Mar 2018 13:06

Hi Judy,
These Taits have a tendency to re-cycle names like anything! My Taits seem to originate around the East coast around Inverness area.
Briefly; Daniel Tait (born 16/2/1877) was my grandfather, born in Drumchose parish, Londonderry. His father was Daniel Stewart Tait, (B 1846), of Inverness, shoes father was William Tait (b 1819), again in the Drumchose area, but there I have hit my wall.
William was married to a still to be confirmed Ellen? Craig?
Daniel Stewart Tait was married to Margaret Anne McCurry, of Balchame, Scotland.
I have spent quite a bit of time pursuing the Londonderry/Limivady connection as that is where my closer folk are buried and seem to have grown up (Daniel 1877 had thirteen siblings), but still have to spend time on the Scottish connections, which look very interesting and include Urqharts, Ogilvies, Mortimers, and others, and are concentrated on the area around Cullen/Portsoy/Inverness/Balchame, with presence stops in Glasgow and Edinburgh as well as Belfast and Londonderry.
Many of the siblings left to go on to Canada and there is a healthy population there today (I've met around 100).
I can let you see my tree if you think it would be useful, and I have recently taken DNA tests with Ancestry and FamiyTreeDNA, both of which are registered on GedMatch.
Best wishes,
Ken Tait

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 19 Mar 2018 14:23

Ken

See my advice on the other thread to which you added a post