Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

How do you find the burial ground of a still born

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Mar 2008 09:03

My mother had a still born child that was full term they called her Rose but my mother does not know where the communal grave is they buried her in

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Mar 2008 09:10

My sister was born 30th Aug 1959 then my mother said she was 11 month old when she had the still born child, but my mother said it was born 3rd December so the dates don't match up that would have made my sister 16 month

WayneTracey

WayneTracey Report 1 Mar 2008 09:21

How recently was this Jacqueline? You've not given us any dates!

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o°

°o.OOº°‘¨Claire in Wales¨‘°ºOO.o° Report 1 Mar 2008 09:21

From the GRO

Stillbirths
Obtaining Stillbirth Certificates

Due to the sensitive nature of stillbirth registrations, the procedure for ordering a certificate of the entry differs from other types of certificates. We will only send out the application form after we have been contacted by phone or in writing by the mother or father (if he is named on the certificate). In cases where the parents are deceased, a brother or sister can apply if they can provide their parents’ dates of death.

The cost of the certificate is £7.

Phone +44 (0)845 603 7788
Opening hours: Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm GMT (excluding bank holidays) and Saturday 9am to 4pm GMT.

Or write to us at:
General Register Office
PO Box 2
Southport
Merseyside
PR8 2JD

You would need to get a cert to find out the date before you can take this any further. Your poor Mum was probably so upset no wonder she can't remember the exact dates.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 1 Mar 2008 09:25

Thank you very much xx

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Mar 2008 10:17

Hi Jacqueline

I hope this wont upset you .

Was the baby born in hospital.if so then it was the norm then to bury a stillborn with an unrelated adult who died at the same time.

The child would be placed with the next adult who was being collected from the hospital by a funeral director. You may get the info from the Hospital once you know when the babe was born,otherwise you will have to contact all the funeral homes in the area to see if they have the info. They would know if a child was in with the adult.

Hospitals then ,thought they were saving parents from more grief and the cost of a funeral. Often they told them dont worry we wil take care of things.

This happened to my mums sister who had stillbirth in 1956 and she agreed not knowing at the time what this entailed.

Sorry if this upsets

Shirley

Dragonlance

Dragonlance Report 1 Mar 2008 10:33

i had a stillborn child in 1978 i contacted the hospital who told me the details on how my baby died but couldnt give me any information on if my baby had been buried or cremated how would i be able to find this out jackie

Maureen

Maureen Report 1 Mar 2008 10:41

I found the grave of my brother who was stillborn.He is in an unmarked grave,where the other babies were buried.I was given a map of the Cemetry and they marked the area he is in.We went to the other cemetry where they have the books of everyone buried there,they even told us that my parents didn't attend his funeral,this was in 1956.
I told them I was trying to find out his death date for my family tree,and they were very helpful.Maureen

Dawn

Dawn Report 1 Mar 2008 11:46

I have sent you a pm. Hope you don't mind
Dawn

Sarahh

Sarahh Report 1 Mar 2008 12:23

One of my mums sisters was buried in an unmarked grave with about 5 other babes. That was 1962 I think. My aunt knows where the babes buried but I can never seem to find it when I go looking for it.

What I have seen in the cemetary though is a few grey headstones with a gold outlined teddy with names of so many babes and the dates, so I don't know if this is still being done today but with at least a headstone to find the resting place easier at least.

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 1 Mar 2008 12:30

My SIL lost twins, one year later the hospital wrote to her asking when she intended burying them.She was naturally very upset, all over again .

Vanessa

Vanessa Report 12 Jun 2019 00:56

Hi

I have a similar case. My brother born 6 months after me in 1978 died at a Hospital in surrey. Sadly died still born at one day old. The hospital that I was also born at is now closed down an is a estate of houses where I weirdly now live. I would like to find any information I have his birth certificate and I know my parents did not go to his funeral if there was one probably not back then. I wish I could find him especially to help my mum I only found out recently.

Kind Regards
Vanessa

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 12 Jun 2019 08:57

Vanessa, from your description it sounds as if his was a neonatal death rather than still-birth - you said he died aged one day.

As he had a **Birth certificate rather than a Still Birth certificate &, presumably, a death certificate contact the municipal cemetery closest to the hospital. They would be able to search their records to find a burial for Baby (surname) around that time. Some cemeteries will make a charge.

** Birth certificates will only be issued if the infant took a breath when it was born.