Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1900 USA Census Search Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colette

Colette Report 10 Mar 2008 09:26

Hi i have a man going over to New York 1906 to visit a friend named S. M Levey address Broadway.

Would someone mind checking census to see if they can find this man..

The man going over was a Merchant.. thats all i know named John Bennett b c1870 England.. fishing for clues to this man

Thanks Colette

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Mar 2008 09:29

Hi Colette, are you trying to find John or S.M. Levey?

Immigration records show John Bennett was 36, travelling with his wife, Mrs. Bennett, age 33, and Miss Maidie Bennett, age 6. Last residence, Southport, England.

Joan

Joan Report 10 Mar 2008 09:39

Colette,

This is the only think I can find that is even close to your description.

1920 United States Federal Census
about John Bennett
Name: John Bennett
Home in 1920: Oneida Ward 5, Madison, New York
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1871
Birthplace: England
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's Name: Ellen
Father's Birth Place: England
Mother's Birth Place: England
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Sex: Male
Year of Immigration: 1908
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Image: 402
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Bennett 49 , laborer Silverware Shop
Ellen Bennett 47
Doris Bennett 19

Colette

Colette Report 10 Mar 2008 09:57

Hi thanks guys.. its this S. M LEVEY i was trying to find...

John Bennet never married Elizabeth.. its really complicated..

Maidie was born Maide Bargery on her marriage her dad is down as Edward Bargery Gen Practitioner..deceased..

Elizabeth we do not know her surname or were shes from only England..

Comes back for USA and has a son named Harry Vaughan Ascroft in Conway Wales 1907.. father on his marriage cert Thomas Henry Ascroft Master Builder.
She did not marry him either....

The person i am helping has gone about it the wrong way so is now getting the birth cert for Harry.. so shed some light on this Elizabeth...

One minute shes with a John Bennett then she having a baby to an Ascroft, she ends up living in Holywell Flintshire..daughter Maidie married a Will Pat Kelly Birkenhead wwent to mum to have 1st baby in Holywell...both Maidie and Harry lived on the Wirral when they married.

We cannot find a birth reg for Maidie Bargery nor anything on Edward who was a Doctor.. so i think some porkies have been told..
Cant find a John Bennett Merchant in Southport looked in a 1905 directory for the area.. as i live in Southport no John Bennett..

Plus they sailed from Glasgow why not Liverpool... as i say its all a bit crazy.. hopfuly this birth cert for Harry will give us something to go on..

Thank you for all your time Colette

Joan

Joan Report 10 Mar 2008 09:59

Colette, need more information

Joan

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Mar 2008 10:06

No Levey living in New York City in 1900 (checked 1900 census, that is). Will check Levy spelling.

Lisa J in California

Lisa J in California Report 10 Mar 2008 10:10

1900 census: Levey - numerous Levey's living in New York State: Brooklyn, Manhattan, etc. Wondering if we should be looking for Levey on Broadway in Manhattan?

Don't see any S. Levey's in Manhattan on 1910 census.

Colette

Colette Report 10 Mar 2008 10:55

Thanks again all roads lead knowhere haaaaaaaaaa.

Regards Colette

Henry

Henry Report 4 Dec 2017 22:12

Hi, Thomas Henry Ascroft ("harry")was my mother's maternal uncle. I know quite a bit about him. His father Peter was Mayor of Bootle in 1900-1, the owner of 700 houses there, for which Harry collected the rent. He didn't get on well with his father and left home aged 21, and went to live with his sister, though continuing to work for his father. In 1900 he hurt his knee and stayed in bed where the maid, Nellie Foley, brought him his meals. In September that year he got her pregnant. He didn't dare tell his father, especially as Peter Ascroft had just become Mayor, so he persuaded her to marry him under an assumed name. His daughter, Constance, was born in June 1901, and he paid the mother maintenance. But after a while she decided she wanted more. In 1904 she snitched to his father. Harry denied everything so his father got a solicitor to sue Nellie for "jactitation". Nellie counter sued for marital rights. She won.

But by this time Harry was having an affair with Annie Grasby whom he told the court he married "in Scotland". This seems to have been a lie.

The court case was sensational and expensive, his creditors were after him, his dad was furious. He transferred his assets (10 houses worth £2000) to his mother, who gave him £500 in cash. With this he took Annie Grasby to New York, travelling under the assumed name of Mr and Mrs John Bennett.

They returned in September, by which time Annie was pregnant. They tried to settle in Colwyn Bay but the creditors, including his real wife Nellie, were closing in. Harry was arrested, his property seized to pay the creditors.

In 1909 Nellie divorced him. She travelled to Canada with her daughter Constance and married an Albert Prime. Constance died in 1936 but her mother lived right up to 1969 and died in Victoria, BC.

I don't know what happened to Harry between 1909 and 1914 but in 1915 he married a Phylliss Goulding. In 1918 he tried to dodge call-up but was arrested and drummed into the army, completing training conveniently in time for the end of the war. He died in 1936.

I only learned of all this a couple of years ago. I'm very sad because his children Constance and Henry Vaughan were my mother's first cousins. If they have descendants I would love to be in touch. My email is [email protected]

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Dec 2017 17:13

Welcome to the boards, Henry.

First, for your own sake, please remove your email address from your post. This is not a secure site, and you lay yourself open to all sorts of unwanted mail by leaving your email address on here.
Anyone wanting to contact you can do so through the GR site, by clicking on your name at the top of your post, and sending you a private message.

Secondly, if you want to contact Colette, follow the same method, to send her a private message.
It's almost 10 years since she started this thread, and she won't be looking for replies here now.