Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Frederick Leonard Knight and Harry Knight - Kent

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

SundanceSyd

SundanceSyd Report 16 Mar 2008 02:17

I am trying to find the ancestors of my grandfather, Frederick Leonard Knight, c1895 - 1936. I believe he was born in Kent, although London is a possibility, too. He was an RAF Flight Sergeant and was stationed in Egypt, Palestine, and Malta. He drowned in Malta in 1936 and his family moved to Chichester, Sussex.

His father's name was Harry (Harold?) Knight c1868, and he was a publican (Licenced Victualles), possibly in Tunbridge Wells. Frederick had at least three brothers, Stanley, Ernest, and Leonard, and at least one sister, Gladys.

He married Mabel Violet Page c1896, in Chatham, Kent on 01/03/16. I believe Mabel was born in Chatham. He and Mabel had 4 daughters, Joyce Vera, Betty Hazel, Gladys Joan, and Patricia.

My mother remembers her father saying his family was originally from London, but she recalls visiting a pub in Tunbridge Wells during WW II that was run by one of her father's brothers. He also said his family was related to Dame Gladys Cooper, the actress, but I haven't yet found a link. Thanks in advance for any help.

Lewella

Lewella Report 16 Mar 2008 02:31

This is the closest I could see

1901 England Census
about Fredrich Knight
Name: Fredrich Knight
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1895
Relation: Son
Father's Name: Harry
Mother's Name: Ellen
Where born: Wadhurst, Sussex, England

Civil Parish: Rotherfield
Ecclesiastical parish: Crowborough All Saints
Town: Crowborough
County/Island: Sussex

Street address: Rose & Crown Inn

Registration district: Uckfield
Sub-registration district: Rotherfield
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 57
Household Members:
Name Age
Arthur T Knight 7
Ellen Knight 27
Fredrich Knight 6
Gladys Knight 2
Harold Knight 9
Harry Knight 32 (Publican)
Leslie Knight 4

SundanceSyd

SundanceSyd Report 16 Mar 2008 04:23

Hi Lewella,

I never expected such a quick response! Thank you so much.

I did come across this same record (after months of searching), but when I read it to my mother, she said she had never heard of either Arthur or Leslie, and she thought her dad, Frederick, was the youngest child. Still, she never met her grandfather or grandmother, and she may not remember all the children after all these years. I sent her a photo of the Rose & Crown, but it didn't look familiar. She remembered a lot of steps leading into it when she visited during WW II.

I also came across a Harry Knight, b1869, living in The Fountain Inn, Cowden, Kent, in 1891 with his parents, Harry & Maria. A photo of The Fountain Inn shows a lot of steps leading into it, but that photo didn't look familiar to my mother, either.

I did obtain a copy of the marriage certificate for Frederick and Mabel, and it indicates his father was Harry Knight, deceased, so he would have passed away by 1916.

I think one of these two census records is probably the right family, maybe even both. Thanks again for taking a look for me. In a way, I'm glad you came up with the same record I did and that nothing else was close...if that makes sense.