Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Holt family prior to c1830

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 13:52

hi there im hoping that someone may be able to help. im trying to track back the Holt side of my family and have hit a brick wall whilst searching for Thomas Holt born circa 1830 who had a son called albert (1865) who married emily knott (1867) and they had a sone called alfred (1889). Can anyone impart any help as to where i should look i have more details on albert and his wife and son but just cant find anything on Thomas. Any info gratefully received

***Michelle***

***Michelle*** Report 17 Apr 2008 13:53

What County and district were they from?

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Apr 2008 13:54

Where did they live and where have you found these details ?

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 14:01

albert and emily and alfred all lived in the exeter, devon area i however have got Thomas' name from the wedding certificate of alfred and emily and i have no idea as to where Thomas originated from

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Apr 2008 14:07

Right lets have a go finding them
Heres one connecting the 2 family names
Alfred is grandson

1901 England Census
about Alfred Holt
Name: Alfred Holt
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890
Relation: Grandson
Mother's Name: Emily
Where born: Exeter, Devon, England

Civil Parish: Exeter
Ecclesiastical parish: St Matthew
County/Island: Devon

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Exeter
Sub registration district: Exeter
ED, institution, or vessel: 3
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 89
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred Holt 11
Emily Holt 34
Eliza Knott 70
Medley Knott 41

View
Original
Record

View original image

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 14:21

just double checked the info i have to hand and on the wedding certificate Thomas was deceased where would be the best place for me to look for research on him now?

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 14:30

the marriage took place in devon in june 1889 from the little information that i have to hand whilst at work

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Apr 2008 14:33

1891 England Census
about Emily Knott
Name: Emily Knott
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: Thomas
Mother's Name: Eliza
Where born: Heavitree, Devon, England

Civil Parish: Holy Trinity
Ecclesiastical parish: Holy Trinity
Town: Exeter
County/Island: Devon

Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Exeter
Sub registration district: Exeter Eastern
ED, institution, or vessel: 17
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
Alfred J V Hott 1
Eliza Knott 60
Emily Knott 25
Eva Knott 27
Thomas Knott 56
Jane Pavey 52

View
Original
Record

View original image

On the 1901 it states Married not widow ???

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 17 Apr 2008 14:44

I found a thomas Holt as crew not on board which could be him but now cant find it 51 or61 I think

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 14:44

i thank both melanie and lindsay for your help the knott side of the family was and has been relatively easy to trace the Holt side is the one that is proving to be the hardest and that was why i got the marriage certificate of albert and eliza and after got the name of alberts father Thomas who has so far proved rather elusive as there was little help except to say he was deceased on the day of the wedding

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 14:50

my god have you found him? how did you work out this one was him?

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 15:10

form what info i have at this computer the witnesses where her parents and by the looks of my notes a friend of the family

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 15:16

ok i hvent seen this one before so will put it in the possible file :)

James

James Report 17 Apr 2008 15:47

yeah i have found this one before and as the child is too young at the census time i discounted do you think i should reconsider?

Gerry Flynn

Gerry Flynn Report 4 Jul 2008 18:32

I am looking /searching for the brothers of JESSE HOLT, my Grandfather. He was born in 1855 in Birmingham, England. His brother WILLIAM THOMAS, was born in in 1852 and brother ALFRED was born in 1857. Their parents were; ELI HOLT and HARRIET WALKER HOLT. Eli was from Stourbridge, Kingswinford, Staffordshire. William, married MARIA REYNOLDS, who was I believe from Bedfordshire.
They had three children, William Thomas, 1874, Harriet 1876, and Sarah, 1882
I know nothing of Alfred. Jesse went into the Glass Cutting trade as his father Eli, and came to America around 1882 to 1888, and Alfred and William Thomas went in to the Walker side of the Gas-Works trade, or Brass Works. As Grandfather William Walker made candle snuffers. William Walker's father, Samuel, was in the brass trade. I have no idea where they went after 1881. I think I found them in that years census but cannot be sure. Jesse is listed living at Cromwell Street. He was married at the time to ELIZA JANE ANSELL. She died and Jesse married my Grandmother CATHERINE CONATY, from Ballyjamesduff, Co. Cavan, in New York City. They had one child MARY HOLT, my mother. She married William J. Flynn in Brooklyn 1916.
I am hoping that some one may have interest of both the Holt and of the Walker families from Birmingham, England
The Holt Family legend is that the men were Baron's and are related to the HOLT'S of ASTON HALL.
Gerry Flynn