Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

could some one do a census check

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

mothermaclean

mothermaclean Report 17 Oct 2008 11:35

could any one do a census check for me address is 67 brook street Colchester, Essex
between the year 1829 and maybe 10 years or so later trying to find out how long my great grandparents may have lived there

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 17 Oct 2008 11:38

The first census was 1841...........the next 1851

What are the names? Where were they born? When were they born?

mothermaclean

mothermaclean Report 17 Oct 2008 11:48

Well the farthers name was Thomas Mclellan and wife was Florence J Mclellan (Read) i know thet had one sone called Dennis L Mclellan and one maybe called Graham and my granddad Donald Edward Mclellan was born at 67 brook street colchester on November 29th 1930 but i mainly trying to find out what other brothers or sisters he might of had if they maybe owned the house too? i just really dont know where to start looking my family is so hard to trace no one else seems to know nothing, cant find out details on here it like and i dont seem to have many details of the mother farther ether frustrating lol

Samspade

Samspade Report 17 Oct 2008 11:50

Census has only been released up to 1901 the 1911 is the next one......

Samspade

Samspade Report 17 Oct 2008 11:55

Dennis L was born 1926

There is also a Dennis S registered jan-mar 1930 same mother's maiden name same district!

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 17 Oct 2008 11:58

You asked for 1829 + 10 years.............

Can we assume you mean 1929?

In which case, you do not mean the census......you mean Electoral Rolls

As only those eligible - and registered - to vote, will appear, the info will probably not be of any use. No-one under voting age will be recorded

The place to try to find the info is the main public library for the area............

mothermaclean

mothermaclean Report 17 Oct 2008 11:58

yep i did mean 1929 sorry

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 17 Oct 2008 12:00

To find siblings..........try searching on freebmd......enter the surnames only.

Wheter or not the parents owned the property will not be recorded on the ER.

Samspade

Samspade Report 17 Oct 2008 12:02

Gordon T registered 1932
Veronica M registered 1934
Barry A registered 1937

mothermaclean

mothermaclean Report 17 Oct 2008 12:03

Cheers every one im just going around and around on the spot not knowing what to do do next i hate keep asking you wonderful people on here messaged every one who's name is mclellan feel like it.
and still no one has any connection lol oh well so i will try the library

Samspade

Samspade Report 17 Oct 2008 12:07

Eric you know free bmd doesn't go up that far!

Ericthered

Ericthered Report 17 Oct 2008 12:38

??????

Deaths Mar 1956
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HARVEY Ada 72 Holderness 2a 105
HARVEY Adeline R 61 Newbury 6a 89

etc..............................

Samspade

Samspade Report 17 Oct 2008 12:58

coverage is VERY sketchy and you know it.