Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Collins/Collens

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Eunice

Eunice Report 22 Nov 2008 23:35

Michael Collins (Collens, on Welsh 1851 census) lived at Buckley Rd Buckley, Flintshire. Married to Bridget; possibly came from Cork, had children Thomas, Peter and Martha. Peter eventually married an Anne Griffith. No trace of Michael or Bridget after 1851 - they were aged 47 and 37 respectively then. I suppose they could have gone back to Ireland but just wondered if they appear in anyone else's tree?

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 22 Nov 2008 23:54

Can you clarify, for anyone who might try to help?

He was in the 1851 in Wales, he married Bridget - when?

He eventually married Anne Griffiths -- so presumably Bridget had died? He married Anne when? and where?

Oh, and of course some (approx) dates of birth for everyone, too.

Some of the census tricksters here might be able to find something, if they were in England Wales, with a little more detail, so do give what you may have!

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 22 Nov 2008 23:58

Well, some of that was easily answered with a quick search.

Name: Michael Collens
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1804
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Bridget
Where born: Ireland
Civil Parish or Township: Argoed
County/Island: Flintshire
Registration district: Holywell

Michael Collens 47
Bridget Collens 37
Thomas Collens 10
Peter Collens 8
Martha Collens 1 - Mold, Flintshire, Wales, all others Ireland
Mary Felprin 18 - sister (?)

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 23 Nov 2008 00:03

This looks a lot like children Peter and Martha in 1861:

Name: Martha Collins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1849
Relation: Daughter
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Marg
Where born: Buckley, Flintshire, Wales

Name: Peter Collins
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1844
Relation: Son
Father's Name: John
Mother's Name: Marg
Where born: Ireland

John Foulke 42 - born Bryn-Y-Bal Mold, Flintshire, Wales
Marg Foulke 45 - born Ireland
Peter Collins 17
Martha Collins 12
Jane Collins 9

Hoping you don't already have these things ...

Eunice

Eunice Report 23 Nov 2008 13:11

Thanks Evie some bits I do have but not the others. Foulke is not a name I know at all. I am presuming Michael either died or went back to Eire. They moved around quite a bit I gather! I will follow up what you have suggested anyway.
Thanks again

Eunice

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 23 Nov 2008 17:03

You're welcome, Eunice.

I checked the 1861 image, and the name is actually Foulkes. (You should enter some name corrections at Ancestry so that anyone else looking for your people can find you -- Collens to Collins, Foulke to Foulkes ... but I can't make out sister Mary's name in 1851. I would say Felperin, but that only appears in the censuses as a Russian name.)

There are four John Foulkes + Marg* marriages in Flintshire to 1861 (at FreeBMD). Margaret Foulkes was born in Ireland, so I thought she might be a Collins, but there is no Foulkes-Collins marriage.

Margret shows as born in Wales in 1851:

Name: Margret Foulkes
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1821
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: John
Where born: Flint, Flintshire, Wales
Civil Parish or Township: Flint

In 1841 there is an unmarried John Foulkes in Flint who is likely him, I would guess. The one possible Foulkes-Marg* marriage in Holywell district was:

Marriages Dec 1846
Evans John Holywell 27 381
? Foulkes John Holywell 27 381
Jones Anne Holywell 27 381
? Jones Margaret Holywell 27 381
Loving Ann Holywell 27 381
Salisbury William Holywell 27 381

There you go. A Jones, lol.

It looks like the Foulkes-s didn't have kids, so not much help there! But you know now there was Jane Collins, the other daughter, so there's one new tidbit.

Eunice

Eunice Report 23 Nov 2008 21:51

Evie, you are a star, thank you!
My apols for late in replying but we have head a house full of guests this weekend and I have only been to sneak away a few minutes at a time!
Thanks again

E.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 23 Nov 2008 22:40

Late? Lol. There are threads here that are months, nay, years old, that the posters have _never_ replied to.

You're welcome, and thank you!