Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Maureen Settle

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 5 Apr 2009 23:29

I am trying to track down any information about my mother-in-law & her family. My husband has very sketchy information about her DOB etc. What we know is she was born in England in approx 1939, her mother & Father were Winifred & Ronald Settle. She married an Italian man and had numerous children, they migrated from Italy to Australia in 1974. She passed away from cancer in Australia approx 1981, leaving behind Ronald, Stephen, Eugene and Aurora. If anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated as we would love to find her English roots. Thank you

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 5 Apr 2009 23:41

Here's her birth:

Name: Maureen Settle
Mother's Maiden Surname: Tucker
Date of Registration: Jan Feb Mar 1938
Registration district: Huddersfield
Registration county: Yorkshire
Volume Number: 9a
Page Number: 433

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 5 Apr 2009 23:43

I've found a sibling for her (same parents' surnames, by searching the births index at Ancestry) and will send the info to you privately since he could still be living.

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 5 Apr 2009 23:45

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Jun 1933 (92%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ainley Doris Brooke Huddersfield 9a 837
Brooke Charles E Ainley Huddersfield 9a 837
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Settle Ronald Tucker Huddersfield 9a 837

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 5 Apr 2009 23:49

I said in my PM I'd do a quick electoral roll check, and I don't see anyone to match the brother. There also isn't a death for that name 1984-2005 in the index at Ancestry.

If you search at BT on line

http://www.thephonebook.bt.com/publisha.content/en/search/residential/search.publisha

for Settle in Huddersfield, there are only 7 listings in the broad area.

It might be worth writing to those people, some of whom are likely related in some way.

EvieBeavie

EvieBeavie Report 5 Apr 2009 23:51

The sibling's birth is the info I did not post here, because the person in question could be a living person who would not know that his personal info was being distributed on the internet without his knowledge or consent.

I sent it to Kathryn via private message.

Kathryn, if you would post in this thread that you have seen replies, and not reply by private message except if the info is personal -- click on the purple Reply button up top, and a box will open for composing a reply.

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 5 Apr 2009 23:55

Births Sep 1912 (>99%)

Tucker Winifred Lavin Salford 8d 227
Tucker Winifred I Etherington Guildford 2a 153
Tucker Winifred J Lugsdin Edmonton 3a 1187
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tucker Winifred M Booth Huddersfield 9a 432
Tucker Winifred M Madge Totnes 5b 243

EVEIE

EVEIE Report 5 Apr 2009 23:57

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page

Births Sep 1909 (>99%)

Settle Ronald Huddersfield 9a 240

Lewella

Lewella Report 6 Apr 2009 02:16

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Maureen Settle
Name: Maureen Settle
Birth Date: abt 1938
Port of Departure: London, England
Arrival Date: 27 May 1953
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: London, Cape Town, East London, Durban, Lourenco Marques, Beira, Dar-Es-Salaam, Zanzibar, Tanga, Mombasa, Aden, Port Sudan, Port Said, Genoa, Marseilles and Gibraltar
Ship Name: Warwick Castle
Search Ship Database: View the 'Warwick Castle' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Union-Castle Mail Steamship Company Ltd
Official Number: 167220
Travelling with:
Ronald (43) - Civil Servant
Winifred (40)
Bruce (18)
Bronwynn (3)
Address to be: 206 Moor Bottom Road, Thornton Lodge, Huddersfield.
Previous country of residence - Kenya

Lewella

Lewella Report 6 Apr 2009 02:20

Possible??

England & Wales, Death Index: 1984-2005
about Ronald Coulter Settle
Name: Ronald Coulter Settle
Birth Date: 21 Jun 1909
Death Registration Month/Year: Jul 1998
Age at death (estimated): 89
Registration district: Birkenhead
Inferred County: Cheshire
Register number: B1C
District and Subdistrict: 0371B
Entry Number: 270

Lewella

Lewella Report 6 Apr 2009 02:23

UK Incoming Passenger Lists, 1878-1960
about Bruce Settle
Name: Bruce Settle
Birth Date: 19 Sep 1934
Port of Departure: Beira, Mozambique
Arrival Date: 22 Aug 1959
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Beira, Dar-Es-Salaam, Tanga, Zanzibar, Mombasa, Barcelona and Gibraltar
Ship Name: Kenya
Search Ship Database: View the 'Kenya' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: British India Steam Navigation Company Ltd
Official Number: 4944/01
Travelling with Sheila E Settle (10.02.35)
Timothy J (24.02.58)

Kathryn

Kathryn Report 6 Apr 2009 05:48

Thanks for all your help everyone. It is so appreciated! It gives us alot to check out! Thank you so much

Cheers
Kathryn & Ron

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 7 Apr 2009 09:32

FYI from http://www.naa.gov.au/collection/recordsearch/index.aspx

MARTINI Silvio born 15 December 1933; Maureen (nee Settle) born 11 February 1938. Children Ronald Joseph; Stefano; Eugenio; Aurora Maria - Italian

Dates look like they arrived c1971.

On this site also two POW files for a Silvio Martini b. 1918 Verona, Italy (WWII).

Good luck