Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Joseph Wells c 1818

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Cow Girl

Cow Girl Report 27 Apr 2009 13:06

I am looking for information regarding Joseph Wells c 1818 married to Anne Eliott c 1816. Joseph was a politician. They had 3 sons, Willam,c1833, Joseph c1839 and Alfred. c1841. It is beieved that 2 of the boys were also politicians.

Cheers June

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 27 Apr 2009 13:21

where did they live?

Cow Girl

Cow Girl Report 13 May 2009 12:44

hi Anne,
I believe that they live in our around London, and are possibly associated with Wilbur Wilberforce in some way, either related by marriage, or assoccaited with the him in politics.

Cheers June

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 13 May 2009 15:10

Is this them in 1841?

Allington - Dorset

Joseph Wells - 25 - labourer
William Wells - 3
John Wells - 2
Joseph Wells - l mon
Ann Wells - 25

All born in Dorset

I don't know anything about this family, but according to other people's family trees this Ann was Ann Elliot. Joseph and his children (including Arthur b.1841) were born in Bridport, Dorset. The family had emigrated to Australia by 1865. Have you already spoken to any of the others on Genes who are tracing this family?

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 13 May 2009 15:18

I can see that William Elliot Wells became an architect in Australia, but can't see anything about the others being politicians. So I've probably got the wrong family here.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 13 May 2009 23:22

Really need more info here. These are just the Alfreds 1841 and 1842. Too many. Please post as much info as possible.

Births Mar 1840 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wells Alfred Bromley 5 51

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Jun 1840 (>99%)

Wells Alfred Rotherhithe 4 371

Births Sep 1840 (>99%)

Wells Alfred Wayland 13 309
Wells Alfred Clerkenwell 3 58

Births Dec 1840 (>99%)

Wells Alfred Bradfield 6 137

Births Mar 1841 (>99%)

Wells Alfred Birmingham 16 300
Wells Alfred Devizes 8 308
Wells Alfred Samford 12 429
Wells Alfred Kettering 15 289

Births Dec 1841 (>99%)

Wells Alfred Stow 12 385
Wells Alfred Boston 14 2[35]6
Wells Alfred John Kingston 4 176

Lewella

Lewella Report 14 May 2009 01:37

??

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915
about William Elliott Wells
Name: William Elliott Wells
Year of Registration: 1838
Quarter of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
District: Bridport (To 1958)
County: Dorset
Volume: 8
Page: 31

Lewella

Lewella Report 14 May 2009 01:39

From google:

Subject: [DOR] WELLS / ELLIOTT
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2006 16:27:39 +1000

Hi Everyone
Hoping someone has some Idea's, on finding
information on Joseph WELLS
I have Joseph WELLS born abt 1816 Dorset. Married Ann ELLIOTT 1837
Bridport Dorset
they had 3 boys, William Elliott WELLS b 1838, John WELLS b 1839, and
Alfred Joseph WELLS b 1841. in the 1841 census they were living at
Allington.
Now for the problem I have lost Joseph WELLS. I couldn't find him in
1851 census
I THINK i may have found him in 1871,
I believe that Henry and Ann may have kept changing the boys names
around so Joseph couldn't
find them.
In 1851 Ann WELLS nee ELLIOTT is living with Henry FAULKNER with 2 children
to Henry FAULKNER plus the three WELLS boys except they are listed as WEBB.
In 1855 Henry FAULKNER, Ann and all the children come to Australia.
The three WELLS boys are listed as FAULKNER, then they revert back to WELLS.
Ann WELLS and Henry FAULKNER didn't marry until they were in Tasmania in
Thank you lorraine Key

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 02:46

That is a little way from London

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 02:49

So were they Australian politicians??????

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 02:52

??????????????
from wilkipedia

William Elliot of Wells (1696 – 1764) was an army officer, courtier, and Member of Parliament during the reign of George II.

The son of William Elliot of Wells (know to posterity as the "Laceman", from the trade in gold-embroidered lace from which he made his fortune), the younger William was christened January 17, 1696 at St Martin-in-the-Fields, Westminster. He entered the army in 1722 as a cornet in the Royal Regiment of Horse Guards, and in the following year joined Charles Churchill's Regiment of Dragoons as a captain. While serving under Col. Churchill, Elliot witnessed the will of Churchill's mistress, the celebrated actress Anne Oldfield, and was one of the pallbearers at her funeral in 1730.

In 1737, Elliot was commissioned as major of the 2nd Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards, of which he was made lieutenant-colonel in 1741. He fought at both Dettingen and Fontenoy, but resigned his commission in 1746. His sister's son, George Augustus Eliott (later Lord Heathfield, defender of Gibraltar), was one of his subordinate officers in the 2nd Troop of Horse Grenadier Guards.

In 1741, Elliot was elected as a Whig Member of Parliament (MP) for Calne, Wiltshire (which seat he held until 1754). Subseqeuntly, in 1743, he was made one of the equerries to George II, and served until the king’s death in 1760.

Elliot inherited his father's estate of Wells, in Roxburghshire, in 1728.

While still a captain in Churchill's dragoons, Elliot married--against her father's wishes--Lady Frances de Nassau d’Auverquerque, elder daughter of the Earl of Grantham, at St Benet Paul's Wharf, London, on 4 June 1737. They had one child Henry [1], who died young.

Elliot died in 1764 and was buried in St James's Church, Piccadilly, Westminster. Lady Frances Elliot died in 1772, and was buried with him.

This is William Elliot of Wells so discount him at the moment.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 02:55

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENANZ/2004-03/1080792079

Hi Everyone
Is there anyone Researching this family
William Elliott WELLS b 1838 Dorset M Jane Wright FRY 1865 Vic,
Children
Eliza Alice B 1866 M William Silas PEARSE 1897 Eagle Hawke Vic
Ernest Alfred B 1868 M Ethel THORNTON 1898 Eagle Hawk Vic
Edith Clare B 1870 D 1956 Albert Park. Vic
Annie Eva B 1873 D 1956 Albert Park Vic
Francis Stanley B 1875 M Ada Elizabeth WHITE 1897 South Melbourne Vic
William Thomas B1877 M Mary Jane Elizabeth GARNER 1933 Vic
George Elliott B 1879 M Myra Glady's ?
Gertrude Everlyn Mary B 1888 M George PUMPHREY.
Love to hear from anyone with information
Thanking you Lorraine Key Snowy Mountains nSW.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 03:10

BRIDPORT. William Elliot Wells 1837-1930 who married Jane Wright Fry 1845-1923. William is probably the William Elliot Wells whose birth was registered in the first quarter of 1838 in Bridport

http://www.wells-genealogy.org.uk/wells1.htm

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 03:18

googled again

Message for Lorraine key

Hello, Re: a message i found posted by Lorraine Key in 2004 requesting information about the Killey family in western Australia!

My name is Jennifer Holman and my mother and I are currently researching our family history and mum is putting it all in a book for our family. My grandmother was Lillian Clare Alice Killey who I believe was adopted as the seventh child of Philip Thomas Killey and Annie Rose Wells. I will attach a piece that mum has written which says more.Mum and dad are currectly travelling on their yacht around the top end of Australia but she sent me this letter back in june. I will paste it here in its intirety for you to read.... Look forward to hearing from you soon! Regards, Jenny

Dear Jenny, Once upon a time there once was a girl called Lady Ann Clare who lived in Dorset. She fell in love the family coachman, a man by the name of Elliott. They ran away to marry and Lady Ann's family disowned her. There was only one child from this marriage, a daughter Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Elliott married a clerk by the name of William Wells.

When William Wells died (in England), Elizabeth was left with three young sons. She decided to imigrate, with her three sons, William, George and Alfred Joseph, to Australia and marry a Mr. Faulkner who was a close friend of her late husband. The first attempt met with a disaster, they were wrecked on the coast of Ireland!

Victorian rest 1878
Hi Pat, There is the following Digger - Pioneer Index. Victoria 1836-1888 Query ----- Surname : Burman (79 matches) Total matching records: 79 -------------------- Surname: BURMAN Given...
They did eventually reach Melbourne in 1847, the boys ages by then were, William 13 years, George 9 years and Alfred Joseph, 6 years old.

It is with this Alfred Joseph Wells, born in Hannington, England on 22.5.1841 who married Mahala Walden on the 24.5.1864. Note: some confusion on this marriage date.

(Mahala was born on 6. 8.1847) This couple were to become Nana's grandparents.

Walter Countryman
My great grandfather was Walter Scott Countryman. He died in Yeppoon Queensland Australia May 1956. His entry in the...
On the back of an old photograph taken on their 53rd wedding anniversary, Mahala has written their wedding date as being 24.5.1864, two days after Alfred Joseph's 23rd birthday.

At the time of the birth of their first child Alfred Joseph Wells is recognised as a sawyer. They had 12 children, of whom three died. They had a shop in Castlemaine, Victoria and resided in premises over the top of the shop. It is presumed this involved the manufacture of umbrellas as this was the type of shop he was later to open in Hay street in Perth when they came to Western Australia to live.

Mahala came over to W.A. on her own with six of the children, Albertina (Cis), Ann, Alfreda, Beatrice, Launcelot (Lance), and Clare, leaving Melbourne for Fremantle on the Waroonga on February 1st 1896. Alfred and Mahala were to live in Monger Street Leederville.

The eldest son, Alfred Henry Wells and his wife Elizabeth Jane lived in Forrest Street Boulder at the same time as his sister Ann and her husband Phillip Killey lived in the same street around 1901. (Jenny, does this give you goose bumps?)

Alfred Henry, Ann's brother was at this time is listed as an umbrella maker like his father. Later he was to turn miner. (Jenny, both he and his wife are listed in the Ivanhoe electorate at Boorara where ever that is?)

Lance Wells, another brother, took up a property in the Wikepin district, 7 miles from the town. On the other side of the road was Ann and Phillip Killey's property. The Wells property was called Eden Hope. Mahala was 60 years old, in 1907 when she and Alfred Joseph left their home in Leederville to live on the farm with Lance. Later they came back to live in Bayswater. Alfred Joseph died at the age of 93. At this time he was living with daughter Ann at Elizabeth Street in South Perth.

Ann Rose Wells, born 31.12.1879, married Philip Thomas Killey who was born 3.2.1868. (He died 17.7.1930.... She died 25.9.1959)

They had 8 children of which Nana was the second youngest. Lillian Clare Alice, (Clare) born 31.7.1916. Clare began school in the Inkipinki district of Wickepin. The same school as Albert Facey, author of A Fortunate Life. (Incidently, we have been trying to get a copy of this book at every second hand bookshop we see along the way.)

Clare married William Thomas Holman on... etc, etc, etc! Now, does that satisfy you, I have made a start! Love Mum.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 15:22

I have found these different extracts from google but I cannot see how they make sense. They are talking about the same family of 3 boys but parents do not match. I will need to look at this in more detail.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 15:25

Cow Girl

Could we step back a little to a family member you are absolutely certain of names dates places etc and work back from there.

LadyKira

LadyKira Report 14 May 2009 22:42

"I am looking for information regarding Joseph Wells c 1818 married to Anne Eliott c 1816. Joseph was a politician. They had 3 sons, Willam,c1833, Joseph c1839 and Alfred. c1841. It is beieved that 2 of the boys were also politicians. "

"I have Joseph WELLS born abt 1816 Dorset. Married Ann ELLIOTT 1837
Bridport Dorset
they had 3 boys, William Elliott WELLS b 1838, John WELLS b 1839, and
Alfred Joseph WELLS b 1841. in the 1841 census they were living at
Allington."

"Once upon a time there once was a girl called Lady Ann Clare who lived in Dorset. She fell in love the family coachman, a man by the name of Elliott. They ran away to marry and Lady Ann's family disowned her. There was only one child from this marriage, a daughter Elizabeth.

Elizabeth Elliott married a clerk by the name of William Wells.

When William Wells died (in England), Elizabeth was left with three young sons. She decided to imigrate, with her three sons, William, George and Alfred Joseph, to Australia and marry a Mr. Faulkner who was a close friend of her late husband. The first attempt met with a disaster, they were wrecked on the coast of Ireland!"

These are talking about the parents of the same three children but
They do not fit together.