Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Francis O'Hanlon and Mary Colmey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Angela

Angela Report 20 Jun 2009 10:54

I would be grateful if you can find any information on the birth, marriage or death of Francis O'Hanlon and Mary Colmey. I have tried to search for them but with no luck.

Francis was married to Mary Colmey but I dont know her full details of birth or death etc. I am aware that Francis was born in March 1908, possibly in Dublin, Ireland.

Any information is very welcome.

Thank you.

Angela

Kay

Kay Report 20 Jun 2009 13:29

Angela

Marriage of Francis Patrick O'Hanlon and Mary Josephine Colmey

Yr.1927 Quarter 2 Volume 2 Page 292 Dublin North

http://pilot.familyresearch.org/recordsearch/#0

Kay

Kay Report 20 Jun 2009 13:41

Possible birth of Francis O'Hanlon
Year 1908 Quarter 2 Volume 2 Page 535 Dublin North

Possible birth of Mary Josephine Comey (no l)
Year 1910 Quarter 2 Volume 2 Page 349
Area: Bailieborough, Co Cavan

Kay

Kay Report 20 Jun 2009 15:44

Family can be seen on 1911 Census
www.census.nationalarchives.ie
Address: 5.5 Blackhall Street, Arran Quay, Dublin
Dad - Francis
Mum - Mary
Sons - James 20, Bernard 14, Francis Jnr 3, Joseph 1
Daughters - Anne 8 and Mary 5

Angela

Angela Report 20 Jun 2009 22:50

Thanks so much for searching the information for me. I am curious about the website for familysearch as I couldnt find any search for the marriage of Francis and Mary as you said. Is the website correct?

Brilliant that you have found the birth records for Francis and Mary. Will order that.

Interesting about the census... I can see that the Colmey is a rare surname and so it may be difficult to track her down in the census..

I wonder if you know the death records for them?

Thanks once again.

Angela

Kay

Kay Report 21 Jun 2009 00:12

Apologies, the following is now correct:
http://pilot.familyresearch.org/recordsearch/#=0
Hope you will now be able to access same.
Can see the following O'Hanlon births, with mother's maiden name Colmey:
1928 "Female"
1929 Gertrude
1930 Frances M
1932 James F
1935 Francis J
1936 John J
1937 Francis D

Irish online information goes only up to 1958. Chances are your Francis and Mary lived longer that. Do you have any reasonable idea about how old they were?

Regarding the 1911 Census, Cavan is not yet online, promised for mid-July, hopefully then will see the Colmey family.

Angela

Angela Report 21 Jun 2009 03:09

Thanks so much for that. I have got the pilot familysearch website and so I can see that. I will find out about their death and how old they died etc... Will get back to you this evening.

Thanks again for your time in searching for this couple.

Angela

Angela

Angela Report 23 Jun 2009 12:04

Thanks so much... I would like to know where I can order the irish certificates from? Would they be posted from Ireland or England?

We believe that Mary's death would be around 1939 when Francis was about three years old... They didnt grow old together unfortunately.

Francis was remarried to Rose Gorman.

Any information is welcome.

Thank you..

Angela

Kay

Kay Report 23 Jun 2009 14:23

Firstly, I don't know how to order certs on line. Maybe some other kind member would answer you on that.

Death of Mary O'Hanlon
Yr.1939 Qtr.1 Vol.2 Page 245 Dublin Nth. (Age 28yrs)

Marriage of Francis O'Hanlon and Rosannah Gorman
Yr.1945 Qtr.1 Vol.2 Page 381 Dublin Nth

Both of these are on the pilot webset.

Kay

Kay Report 23 Jun 2009 15:00

Mary O'Hanlon is buried in Glasnevin Cemetery, Dublin 11:
Record No.414018
Grave No. DJ 237
Section: St Patrick's
Date of Death given as 23rd January 1939
Address 20 Prebend Street, Dublin

Her daughter, Rose O'Hanlon, age 15 yrs, is also buried in the same grave. Address also 20 Prebend Street
Date of Death: 28th December 1946
Record No.435917

No one else is buried in this grave.

Kay

Kay Report 23 Jun 2009 15:53

1939 Electoral List is the only one currently online for Dublin.

www.dublinheritage.ie

Checked 20 Prebend Street, and find the names eligible for voting:
Bernard & Catherine O'Hanlon
Plus Francis & Mary

This info would have been collected during 1938, hence Mary's name still shown.

Angela

Angela Report 24 Jun 2009 10:57

Wow. so much information to do some research. Thanks so much for searching them for me... There are some things I need to find out...
Interesting about Mary died at the age of 28 - so young eh! I wondered who Bernard's wife Catherine's surname was eh? How can I find out her maiden name was?

Thanks once again.

Angela

Kay

Kay Report 24 Jun 2009 16:30

Marriage of Bernard O'Hanlon and Catherine O'Reilly
1926 Qtr.3 Vol.2 Page 279 Dublin North

Angela

Angela Report 24 Jun 2009 23:29

Hi Kay thanks for searching for Bernard's marriage and his wife's maiden name. How do you do that? Which website did you look at?

Thanks Angela

Kay

Kay Report 25 Jun 2009 10:41

Hi Angela - glad to be of help.

Bernard's marriage. On the pilot site, I looked for a marriage from the year he was 20 until the year 1939 when I saw him on the electoral list. Lucky enough there was only one marriage that could be him. You know you can only be 100% sure if you get the actual certificate.

Then I looked at O'Hanlon births in Dublin for the next ten years, and just blindly took a pencil note of the first ten maiden names shown. Didn't know if this would work, but thought it worthwhile trying.

Now we knew from the electoral list that her name was Catherine. So one by one I looked for a 1926 marriage of each of those maiden names. It worked, the marriage of Catherine O'Reilly matched with Bernard.

Good luck with your family search.

Angela

Angela Report 2 Jul 2009 08:09

Thanks so much Kay. Wow that is amazing. Thanks.. We will look further into their families...

Thanks for your great help once again.

Angela