Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

I HAVE A REAL DILEMMA AND NEED HELP

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2009 12:43

I recently, had some searches done on my 6 x Gt. Grandfather, at the Northants Records Office, to see what they had on him, as I cannot find his birth anywhere. I am talking about Eye in Northants, circa 1700 plus.
What they gave me was a copy taken from the Eye Manor Court Rolls, regarding a property. The property was acquired by himself on his marriage to his wife, who had inherited it from her father. This was in 1743/44. His name was Daniel Turner, and his wife was the former Susannah Preston, daughter of John Preston. I have been unable to find any DOB for these three, or a date of marriage. It would appear that the records for Eye, 'did not stand the test of time', according to Northants Records.
However, Daniel had a daughter, Thomazin, who was old enough to be married in 1739, in St Johns Baptist, Peterborough. So, Susannah must have been his second wife, and I know she must have died, as he married yet again in 1750. However, he must have worn himself out by then with all these wives, as he died a year later.
Where can I now look for any DOB's for these people and marriage and death dates for Susannah. It is made all the more difficult, as I do not know if Daniel actually came from Eye, although his descendants stayed in the area until the present day. I would be very pleased to receive any suggestions.
Many,many thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

liquidamber¨°o.O

liquidamber¨°o.O Report 22 Sep 2009 13:25

1. THAMZIN TURNER - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 10 JUL 1719 Chulmleigh, Devon, England

If you go to Familysearch there are many turners there

Amber

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2009 13:30

Many thanks Liquidamber, for that information, though I wonder how they came to be in Northants from Devon. Was just about to have another few hours on the Familysearch site, to see if I can find anything, despite having looked before.
Again, many thanks
Julia in Derbyshire

jolee

jolee Report 22 Sep 2009 13:40

If you google in Northamptonshire researchers click on the surnames home page and follow the links there are a few Turners researching in that area there may be someone there that can help.

Julia

Julia Report 22 Sep 2009 17:52

Many thanks, Joan. I have been 'playing' with this all afternoon, but got nowhere.
Thanks again
Julia in Derbyshire

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 23 Sep 2009 01:09

Hi Julia

I would try looking for a will if there was property involved. Might also be worth following up a will of Susannah's father as well.
I don't know the area that well but it might be worth trying nearby parishes and maybe the Devon connection is worth exploring too.
What evidence do you have that Thomazin is a daughter of Daniel? Just wondering if she was a sibling.

Sorry can't be of any help.

Best wishes

Kaz

Julia

Julia Report 23 Sep 2009 09:58

Good Morning Kaz, thanks for your suggestions. I have the following information:-
1. In the Manor Court Rolls, it states that the property is assigned to Daniel Turner for ever, and his descendants.
2. Daniel made a will in 1751, of which I have a copy. By then he is married to his third ? wife. He had a son with this wife, who is only a year old by this time, so the will gives instructions for her to look after his interest until he is of age, he being a minor.
3. In the will, he made provision for his daughter Tomasin. His having another child was like a bolt out of the blue, as I had not seen mention of her before.
4. Also in the will, he mentions leaving £5 to a son of Tomasin, 'until he is of an age to be apprenticed'. What mystifies me is that Tomasin had two other children, but they were never mentioned.
5. I can discount the Thamzin mentioned above. She died in 1725.
6. I will send for a copy of the will of John Preston, father of Susannah, possible second wife of Daniel Turner.

Tomasin and her family are also a mystery. She married a Walter Rower in 1739 and had three children. Walter died the year after her father, but I have never been able to find anything of the family after this date, no marriages for the children, nothing.
Again, many thanks for your reply
Julia in Derbyshire

Kaz in a Tizz

Kaz in a Tizz Report 23 Sep 2009 12:02

Hi Julia

I wonder what the records office actually mean by 'did not stand the the test of time' - are they destroyed/illegible or just very hard to read. I would want to visit the records office if that is possible. The actual parish registers may be damaged but perhaps the Bishop's transcripts haven't. Have you looked in Peterboro' for Daniel before his marriage to Susannah?

Sorry if I am asking the obvious Julia

Kaz :o))

Julia

Julia Report 23 Sep 2009 12:31

Thanks again Kaz for coming back to me, and no, you are not asking the obvious. I have just found out the letter I had last year from the Northampstonshire Archivist, to have another read. Basically what they said was, that, they .... "hold the first Eye parish register covering the years 1543-1669. The next surviving register dates from 1727, but bishop's transcript offer coverage from 1701. There does then appear to be a loss of register evidence for the last third of the 17th century.
Having looked at the bishops transcript for Eye, I have just discovered another problem. While these do indeed begin in 1701, there are a number of gaps in the early years of the 18th century, including 1713-14,1716 and 1718, during the period of your interest. As the available evidence is so fragmentary on this occasion there is no charge for the search".
So, I do feel up against the odds of finding anything. I recently sent to Peterborough for marriage details of Tomasin to Walter Rower, and Daniel to his 3rd wife/ Mary Pitts, which they sent, but werte unable to find anything on Daniel and Susannah.
I hope this explains a little, now back to the last three pairs of jeans in the ironing pile, but will keep looking in.
Many thanks again
Julia in Derbyshire

Moody Blue

Moody Blue Report 23 Sep 2009 12:57

England & Wales Christening Records, 1530-1906
about Susanna Preston
Name: Susanna Preston
Birth Date: abt 1695
Christening Date: 16 Feb 1695
Christening Place: Cherry Hinton, Cambridgeshire, England
Father's Name: John Preston
Mother's Name: Susanna

Julia

Julia Report 23 Sep 2009 13:03

Moody Blue, I had found that one and wondered about it. I dismissed it because Cherry Hinton seemed abit far from Eye,Northants. Also, although the father was also called John, there were some sons, which would have inherited before Susannah.
Again, many thanks
Julia in Derbyshire