Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sir george Garnett of idle bradford

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Oct 2009 08:45

I am trying to find the family of George Garnett 1870c who was the son of a mill owner in idle Bradford, and became a Sir, i would also like to find out why

Eddieisagrandad

Eddieisagrandad Report 9 Oct 2009 09:06

There are a number of george garnetts in yorkshire at that time, another family members name would be helpful to find him on the census's.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Oct 2009 09:19

i am finding the same problem, they were all born in idle i think, father was greenwood garnett, possible, sarah john, william edward, james as siblings. i have searched all in idle but come out with loads who i suspect are all connected but as yet cant find out how. thanks for your help

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 11:34

Joshua Francis garnett 1838-1913 Woolen manufacturer married martha Ramsden.1847-1936
He was the son of Greenwood Garnnett 1813-1890 he married Hannah who died 1856.

Children Benjamin stillborn.

Ezra James 1849-1885.
henry greenwood 1840-1890.
All buried Idle Upper Chapel.
Josua francis Garnnett and Martha also had Hannah 1874 Art Student in 1891
Laura 1877
Arnold ramsden 1881
Joseph henry 1883.
George 1872 was a woollen manufacturer in 1901 with wife Edith.
Marriage North Brierley 1900 Edith Maria feather or Edith Woodhead.!
Do you think this is the same family Sandra.

Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 11:48

He married Edith Woodhead at Idle Upper Chapel 12/6/1900.
Children Francis 1901-1974 married Kathleen Hainsworth 1906-2004

Geoffrey Whitley 1904 1939 WW11.They also had a daughter.
This George born 2/11/1871 died 20/1/1955 Woollen manufaturer born in Idle.

Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 14:26

Maybe this is relevant,21/4/1928 a visit to G.Garnetts and sons of Apperley bridge Eccleshill by the then Duke and Duchess of york Elizabeth Bowes Lyon and Prince Albert .A picture is on www.scienceandsociety.co.uk.

I googled G.Garnett and sons woollen manufacturers.

Maryb

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 15:04

A book called The Garnett story 1831-1962 The History of a Yorkshire Worsted and Woollen Busines Through Four Generations by Mr Dodson available in paper back on Amazon according to google.

Maryb

was plain ann now annielaurie

was plain ann now annielaurie Report 9 Oct 2009 15:46

There's an obit fo Sir George Garnett in the Times. Born Apperley Bridge Bradford in 1872. Entered the family business of G Garnett and Sons, woollen and worsted manufacturers in Valley Mills. Knighted in the New Years Honours list of 1954. Died Jan 1955. Some family members are listed as attending his funeral - J H Garnett is listed as brother. His son was Francis Garnett and daughter was Mrs J G Bond.

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 15:48

That confirms the findings then,they are the same family.

Nice one Annie.

Maryb

P.S I have access to a tree that goes back to Samuel Garnett 1690 in Idle.

Sandra

Sandra Report 9 Oct 2009 20:03

Thanks for all that, especially ann and mary, This is part of our family history. Relatives told tale of Sir George coming in Limo to visit family members, but i couldnt find out he was related.
All i knew is that Sarah Garnett married Benjamin lee and that was my husbands ggg grandfather. Iwill now search the science and society link also get hold of book re amazon hopefully.
I would also be interested to see your tree to see were the family link is.
once again thank you so much, i have australian visitors coming in 10days time who are not computer literate and will love this info
Sandra

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 20:45

Hi Sandra,if you put George Garnett 1871 in search there is a tree by david rawnsley which i have available to me and one by Clive.I think it is Clives tree that goes back to samuel 1690.

There is also a tree on Ancestry owner name of clough i think who has Greenwood going back to Francis garnett 1682 of Hawksworth.

I'am not personnally related,i just like a challenge.

Maryb.

David says Arnold Ramsden Garnett the brother of George married a actress Stella Parnell in 1907.I checked and a Arnold Ramsden garnett married 1907 to Mildred Knibbs so maybe Stella was her stage name.

Mary

Mary Report 9 Oct 2009 21:23

So it is Sarah Garnett born @ 1841 in Idle who married your Benjamin lee in 1868.Sarah died in Workhouse in 1915 is that correct?

Who were her parents Sandra.
Found them,John 1814 and elizabeth Child,she died 1857 and he married Mary Pickles in 1860.
He seems to have had a very big family!

Maryb

Sandra

Sandra Report 14 Oct 2009 08:30

Thanks again Mary B, i ve been away from office so didnt pick you reply until today, i will research what you have given me. Ive ordered book and looked at science and society link
Im just going to look and contact David and clive. Thanks again
be blessed sandra

Sandra

Sandra Report 19 Oct 2009 14:11

i m here again, with the garnett/lee line.
I have the purchaesed the book and in it is a fantastic family tree, but alas it doesnt show me how Sarah Garnett who married Benjamin lee our line, is connected to the garnett line, there as to be some connection can anybody help.
sandra