Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Private John W Monty

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Oct 2009 22:05

Have had excellent help from you all in the past so here goes again, hoping that someone can help me:
trying to find WW1 records for Private John W Monty who was in Yorkshire Regiment, Regiment number 10550. Want to find his home address, next of kin etc to establish if he is my relative. Have tried various sites but can't find his records except for a mention on National Archives site for Campaign medals.
This is not the same John W Monty who was a Gunner in Royal Garrison Artillery (Reg. no 673732)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 14 Oct 2009 22:33

There is a Medal Card on Ancestry

Name: John W Monty
Regiment or Corps: Yorkshire Regiment
Regimental Number: 10550

You do sometimes get an address on card but not on this one

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Oct 2009 22:37

Yes - thanks, I got the medal card but I'm trying to establish that he is actually my relative so want his address etc. and don't know where to look so any suggestions welcome

Lindsey*

Lindsey* Report 14 Oct 2009 22:41

a very long shot

John William Monty 1894
HOUSEHOLD MONTY ELIZABETH F 1902 9 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY EMMA LAYBOURN F 1905 6 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY ETHEL F 1909 2 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY FRANCIS JOHN M 1870 41 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY HARRY M 1907 4 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY JANE ANN F 1899 12 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
INSTITUTION MONTY PHILIP M 1876 35 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY SUSANNAH F 1873 38 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding
HOUSEHOLD MONTY THOMAS M 1910 8 MONTHS Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Oct 2009 22:55

Thanks Lindsey - these are indeed my relatives. The Jane mentioned is my paternal grandmother. The problem I've got is that John W Monty supposedly joined the Army in 1914 but so did a John W Monty from Atterby Terrace in Stockton. I can find records for the latter but not for the John that is my relative. Family folklore says he died in the 1st World War and I have a photo of him (allegedly) in full uniform in 1914 but I just can't find army records to corroborate

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Oct 2009 23:00

Further message to Lindsey having looked at this again - do you know what it means against Philip Monty when it says "institution"? Not come across this before. Can you tell me where you got this from?

Many thanks

Julia

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 14 Oct 2009 23:22

Hi Julia - you would have to look at the transcript or image to see what the institution was. It could be a hospital or a prison or workhouse, for instance. And I think, but I'm not sure, he could have been a resident (patient, "inmate" ...) or a staff member who was on duty there on census night (for instance, a prison guard).

It's from the 1911 census:

http://www.1911census.co.uk/search/tnaform.aspx

It's free to search, but pay to see detailed results.

It gives

MONTY JOHN WILLIAM M 1894 17 Middlesbrough Yorkshire North Riding

and then you can search for any Monty in the same household as John William Monty in Middlesbrough. It's a slightly inexact science, as that might find you Montys living with a John and a William, so you sometimes have to do backwards checks on the results.

Have you looked at the CWGC site? There's only one J Monty in the WWI casualties, and he doesn't seem to match yours.

http://www.cwgc.org/debt_of_honour.asp?menuid=14

TheLadyInRed

TheLadyInRed Report 14 Oct 2009 23:43

Thanks - the institution appears to be a boarding house related to the building of the Transporter Bridge so no further forward in finding Private John W Monty.
Have e-mailed Green Howards Yorkshire Regiment to see if they can help - in meantime it's very frustrating!!!!