Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coles of Alnwick

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MaggieP

MaggieP Report 24 Feb 2010 14:58

My great great grandfather William Edward Cole (b1821) settled in Alnwick in the 1830s having come from Wivenhoe Essex. He married Elspeth Young from Rothbury in about 1841. He was a Tinsmith and lived in Canongate Street and then Clayport Street. Does anyone know anything about his wife - I can't find her details or a marriage, though I do have both of their death certificates. They had 15 children, though many died in childhood. My Great Grandfather Benjamin Cole was born in Alnwick 7/4/1854. He married Elizabeth Trobe Simpson on 14/4/1874 in Newcastle and went on to have nine children. He was a Sawyer later a slater and in his sixties was the caretaker of a mission in Alnwick. He lived in Forbes Yard, then Union Court and at his death in 1904 at14 Hotspur Street. My Grandfather William Edward Lambert Cole was born 16/9/1875 in Alnwick and married Mary Ann Ferguson Weatherston on 26/6/1900 at St Michael's church. He was a stone mason and I have a picture of his premises somewhere in Alnwick. He went briefly to Canada 1911ish but returned before WWI. I do not know where they lived or where his stone nason business was. My father James Weatherston Cole was born 13/9/1903 in Alnwick and apart from visit to Canada as a child, he lived and worked in Alnwick until 1940 when he went to Somerset as part of WWII relocation. He worked as a cycle or motorcycle mechanic in Alnwick-again I do not know where. Unfortuately he died in 1951 when I was just 8, so I know virtually nothing about him. His brother (my Uncle) Gordon Cole was born in Alnwick 6/8/1906. I think he worked with his brother for a while. In the 1940s he and his wife moved to Bamburgh where he was postmaster and ran the post office and gift shop for over 30 years. If anyone can fill in more detail about any of my Alnwick ancestors, I would be very grateful.

mgnv

mgnv Report 24 Feb 2010 19:25

I don't know if you've seen this:

1911 Census of Canada
Home / 1911 / Nova Scotia / Pictou / 49 New Glasgow / page 1 split view
http://data2.collectionscanada.gc.ca/1911/pdf/e001975056.pdf

The nominal date of the census was 1/6/1911

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 24 Feb 2010 20:22

I think this is "Elspeth" in 1841 -it tends to be used for Elizabeth in the Northeast and Scotland and the spelling is midway between the two here

Whittingham Northumberland (Reg Dist Rothbury)
Thomas Young 60 Ag Lab
Elisbeth 50
Cathrin 20
Elisbeth 20
Mary 15
Jane 11 all born N'land