Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Deas, Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jul 2010 09:44

I am trying to find my Great Grandfather, but beginning to think I never will. My Grandfather, James Alexander Deas, was born 4th Dec 1908 in Edinburgh. On his birth certificate his mother's name is Catherine Deas, although she was mostly known as Kate or Katie. She was born in 1888. There is nothing on it about his father. On his Marriage certificate his father has been put down as James Alexander Deas (deceased) occupation tailor.
I have been on Scotland people and can't make anything make sense with the dates. The only matches it comes up with are 2 who appear to have died as babies in 1889. Before going on and buying credits I had a good fiddle with dates to make sure I was close but absolutely zilch. If anyone has any advice, tips or ideas I would really appreciate it. I don't like being defeated but it could be I will never find out. Thank you

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Jul 2010 09:51

Firstly, suggest you put "Scotland" in your heading.
I don't know anything about Scottish records but it seems odd to have no father on birth record and then on marriage cert. Was his mother's maiden name Deas? Possibly made up the father?
I think Scots 1911 might be out next year, this would be ideal to look for him.
Jan

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jul 2010 10:08

Thanks Jan,. Have changed that. Just thought of something. I had been working on that he had died 1908, but it is on the marriage certificate not the birth certificate, so he died before they got married in 1935. Now wondering if he was killed in the first world war.
It is on my Grandfather's birth certificate as Catherine Deas. Wondering if he was a cousin.

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Jul 2010 10:10

There is a James Alexander Deas born in Glencourse/Midlothian in 1908

and I have found a James Alexander Deas death in 1971 with a dob of 1906..... just going to find out where without using any credits....right it's Eastwood/Renfrew

Edit: sorry i just realised you were looking for G grandfather's death!

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Jul 2010 10:54

1901 Census
Name: Catherine Deas
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Relationship: Pupil
Where born: Edinburgh, Midlothian
Registration Number: 685/2
Registration district: St Andrew
Civil parish: Edinburgh South Leith
County: Midlothian
Address: 6&7 Brunswick Road
ED: 21
Household schedule number: 40
Line: 3

This is the only Catherine Deas I can find if that was her maiden name?

Cathy

Cathy Report 1 Jul 2010 11:21

These are the only James Alexander Deas deaths on scotlandspeople.

No Year Surname / Maiden Name Forename Mother's Surname Other Surnames Sex Age District City/County/MR GROS Data Image Extract
1 1916 DEAS JAMES ALEXANDER M 19 BUCKHAVEN /FIFE 459/02 0049 VIEW (5 CREDITS)
2 1952 DEAS JAMES ALEXANDER M 68 DUNDEE WEST DUNDEE CITY/ANGUS 282/02 0535 VIEW (5 CREDITS)
3 1956 DEAS JAMES ALEXANDER M 80 BUSBY /RENFREW 571/01 0016 VIEW (5 CREDITS)
4 1971 DEAS JAMES ALEXANDER Not Permissible M 65 EASTWOOD AND MEARNS /RENFREW 562/00 0446 No Image

Yvonne

Yvonne Report 1 Jul 2010 11:30

That's ok Cathy. That's the only Catherine I could find and I think that is her.

I have tried back on Scottish people and put in a later date for his death. Got 2, one for 1917 and 1 for 1920. First one would be right for 1st world war. Is it possible to find out when and where he was and would the death be registered in his home town even if he was killed abroad