Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ALEXANDER WARDROP 1858 Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JAИ *•. from ¸.•*´ JAЯROW

JAИ *•. from ¸.•*´ JAЯROW Report 10 Jul 2010 15:45

I've just a had a message via my Ancestry account, (see below) and to be honest I have no idea where to begin with it.
One assumes that if Alexander was born in Australia c1858 and his father was born in Scotland, then there must be a record of his father's passage (arrival) to (in) Australia.
Since I focus on families in Scotland and have a tendency to abandon them as they cross Scotlands fair boarder (unless it's a direct line) I have never researched in Australia so I don't even know if there would be census records which might help to establish Alexander's fathers name, place and year of birth and wife's given name.
Any suggestions about how I can go about helping Helen please?

Jan :)

Hello, my name is ______ ______ and my great grandfather was Alexander John Wardrop born in Kyneton Victoria Australia. According to his death certificate he was the son of an Alexander Wardrop and his mothers surname was Smith. Makes life difficult' His marriage certificate to Hannah Agnes Josephine Turner has his father as John Wardrop. Confusion. The difficulty I face is that there seems to be no record of his birth. His father could be an Alexander Wardrop born in Linlithgorrshire Scotland who died in 1869 in Wangaratta N.S.W. Australia. My Alexander was born supposedly in 1858 in Kyneton Victoria. I hope this is not too confusing and if you could help me I would be greatful. Thankyou for your time

Alison

Alison Report 12 Jul 2010 05:05

Hi Jan,

Might help to out a post on this...

Records Office: Lookup offer for AustraliaReply to threadReply Bookmark This SearchSearch
Page 1 of 10
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 >> Posted by Last Reply Alert
۞ Cherilyn ۞

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 12 Jul 2010 06:35

Hi Jan

Spotted this one...hope this is some help.

The Argus, Saturday 9 October 1869
WARDROP.-On the 4th inst., at Peechelba, Wangaratta, in his 32nd year, Alexander Wardrop, late of Manchester, second son of the late Alexander Wardrop, of Strathavon, J.P., and deputy lieutenant of the county of Linlithgow, Scotland.

His death record shows his birthplace as "Linl" and parents Alexander & Ellen nee LANG (reg 10559). He was 31. Wangaratta is in Victoria, not NSW. No birth in Victoria for Alexander, or to Alexander (either one).

However, there was a John WARDROP in early Victoria. He arrived in 1846 aged 20 abord 'Maitland'. Still, no son born to him named Alexander.

Interestingly a Neil WARDROP married in Victoria in 1883 and is shown as born in Kyneton but no record of his birth can be found either! He lived in South Geelong and was a blacksmith.

A John WARDROP died in 1880 aged 75, son of John & Agnes nee DUNN (reg 9074).

No Wardrop nee Smith deaths and no births with mother as Smith either. Could be a furphy.

This arrival in Victoria?
Family Name First Name Age Month Year Ship Port Fiche Page
WARDROP ALEXR MR A DEC 1865 SAM CEARNS B 253 008
WARDROP B MISS A DEC 1865 SAM CEARNS B 253 008

Helen may need to order death certificates to work this one out.

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 12 Jul 2010 06:48

This birth? (On the 18th inst., at No. 71 Rowena-parade, Richmond) It is the only one in Vic in right timeframe.

Surname: WARDROP
Given Names: Unnamed Male
Event: B
Father: Archibald Baird
Mother: Mary YOUNG
Birth Place: RICHMOND
Year: 1859
Reg Number: 12117

Have discounted this one - he was Colin Young WARDROP - his marriage shows him as eldest son of Archibald (he & Mary married in 1858).

At least that rules that one out!

Sorry I can't offer more.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 12 Jul 2010 08:28

Probably not a lot of help here!, but saw this...
New South Wales, Australia, Unassisted Immigrant Passenger Lists, 1826-1922
about Mr. Wardrop
Name: Mr. Wardrop
Port of Departure: Glasgow
Port of Arrival: Port Jackson, New South Wales
Voyage Arrival Date: 13 Jun 1841
Vessel Name: Margaret

underneath him on images says agents Gilchrist Alexander I googled and found an article on rootschat forum, seems something to do with bounty hunters, was quite interesting! :-))

Hope something turns up somewhere.

Chris :)

JAИ *•. from ¸.•*´ JAЯROW

JAИ *•. from ¸.•*´ JAЯROW Report 12 Jul 2010 19:04

Thank you both :)
If you don't mind, I'll copy and paste your replies to the lady concerned and, hopefully, she can take it from there
Jan :)