Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Travel Documents 1912 onwards. General question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

evangeline

evangeline Report 2 Aug 2010 14:51

Eliza Marie Bibb (nee Beeby) born in Madras India 20/07/1865 to British parents. Eliza married my grandfather ( William Enis Lawrence ) on 24/04/1912 at St Thomas' Mount Jubbulpore. India. My grandfather was discharged from the Army on 4th July 1916 @ Leamington Spa. Warwickshire. If his wife came to England with him, what travel documents would she have needed, where would she have got them from and how were family members sent back to England. Did they travel back with their husbands in the army or separately. If separately, where would i find the appropriate info. any help will be really appreciated.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Aug 2010 16:18

There's not enough information on the following record to be able to decide if it's your lady.

Name: Eliza Mary Lawrence
Port of Departure: Calcutta, India
Arrival Date: 11 Apr 1914
Port of Arrival: London, England
Ports of Voyage: Colombo
[Port Said]
Ship Name: Syria
Search Ship Database: View the 'Syria' in the 'Passenger Ships and Images' database
Shipping Line: Peninsula and Orient Steam Navigation Company Ltd
Official Number: 113959

Gwyn

evangeline

evangeline Report 2 Aug 2010 16:21

Gywn, thank you so much for your reply, does it say if she was travelling alone.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Aug 2010 17:23

She was the only LAWRENCE onboard.

She travelled 1st class, as did several other ladies ( without husbands present) who also boarded at Calcutta.

Gwyn

evangeline

evangeline Report 2 Aug 2010 19:04

hi Gwyn
can you please let me know which web site you found the info on. thank you

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 2 Aug 2010 19:19

I have a sub. to Ancestry.

They are on there.

They may also be on the Findmypast site.....but I don't have a subscription to that site.
I guess the information might be the same though, as one is able to view the images of the actual ship's log.

I've previously found many passengers with much more detailed information, but unfortunately this page is very limited in content.

Gwyn

evangeline

evangeline Report 2 Aug 2010 19:56

Thank you.