Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Birth information

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gloria

Gloria Report 19 Aug 2010 20:10

Looking for birth certificate information for Marion Hamilton.DOB about 1844 I know that her mother was Agnes Halliday and she was born in Scotland. From family records that I have she married Thomas Tait and her death certificate states her father was Alexander Hamilton. I can find no record of marriage of her parents or her birth record The information I have is from a family sampler i have. Can anyone help.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Aug 2010 20:19

So this is her?

1871 Scotland Census
Name: Marion Tait
Estimated birth year: abt 1845
Relationship: Wife
Spouse's name : Thomas
Where born: Cam'nethan, Lanark
Registration Number: 628
Registration district: Cambusnethan
Civil parish: Cambusnethan
County: Lanarkshire
Address: Binnies Rows
ED: 2
Household schedule number: 117
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1871_120
Household Members:
Name Age
Thomas Tait 27 - Rail Engine Driver; born Kirkleston, Edinburgh
Marion Tait 26
Archibald Tait 1

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Aug 2010 20:22

Are you sure her parents were ever married? Agnes is not called Hamilton here.

1851 Scotland Census
Name: Marion Hamilton
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Relationship: Grandaughter
Where born: Cambusnethan, Lanark
Parish Number: 628
Town: Morningside
Address: Croftfoot
ED: 12
Page: 13 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 39
Line: 11
Roll: CSSCT1851_150
Household Members:
Name Age
Marion Halliday 59 - Merchant (grocer); born Crafordjohn, Lanark
Janet Halliday 38 - Sewer; Blantyre, Lanark
Agnes Halliday 35 - Employed At Home; Blantyre, Lanark
John Halliday 19 - Coal Miner; Carluke, Lanark
Violet Halliday 15 - Employed At Home;Carluke, Lanark
Marion Hamilton 7

Have you tried looking for a Marion Halliday birth?

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 19 Aug 2010 20:31

1861 Scotland Census
Name: Marion Hamilton
Estimated birth year: abt 1844
Relationship: Grandaughter
Where born: Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
Registration Number: 628
Registration district: Cambusnethan
Address: Morningside Village
ED: 15
Household schedule number: 36
Line: 16
Roll: CSSCT1861_93
Household Members:
Name Age
Marion Halliday 69 - Grocer; born Crawfordjohn, Lanarkshire
Janet Halliday 48
Marion Hamilton 17
John Flattery 17 - Boarder
Alex Cavins 38 - Boarder

Gloria

Gloria Report 22 Aug 2010 12:23

Thank you for the information given, and apologies for not replying sooner but have not been on line for a few days. I already had most of the information that is given.
I probably did not word my query very well. I know where Marion lived from all census records as well as information I was given in family documents handed down. The mystery is about her birth and if her father is named on birth documents
Marions daughters, my great aunts would never talk of Marions father and I only found his name on Marion's death certificate. I cannot find any record of Agnes Halliday and Alexander Hamilton being married.

Thanks again

Gloria

Flick

Flick Report 22 Aug 2010 12:39

Civil registration in Scotland did not start until 1855

The only record you can hope for is a baptism.....have you checked the IGI?

Potty

Potty Report 22 Aug 2010 12:55

Do you have Marion's marriage cert? If she married in Scotland, this should have details of her parents' marriage.

Potty

Potty Report 22 Aug 2010 13:00

Thomas and Marion's marriage from familysearch - the marriage details should be on scotlandspeople:

THOMAS TAIT Pedigree
Male Family
Event(s):
Birth:
Christening:
Death:
Burial:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages:
Spouse: MARION HAMILTON Family
Marriage: 01 OCT 1869 Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

Gloria

Gloria Report 23 Aug 2010 10:56

I have only records of her marriage from family bible and have looked several times for a birth record but will continue searching.
What is IGI ?
Thanks

Potty

Potty Report 23 Aug 2010 11:50

IGI - International Genealogical Index - can be found on the mormon family search site . It contains parish records. Those stated as being extracted are transcriptions of original parish records. Submitted ones have been added by people researching their families and are not necessarily correct - treat with suspicion.

You will find the site here:

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=igi/search_IGI.asp&clear_form=true

The marriage I posted above is from there but it will also be on scotlandspeople where it should have more info, including both partners' parents.

It is pay to view site, but you can view and download original certs and parish record extracts:

www.Scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Gloria

Gloria Report 24 Aug 2010 13:31

Have looked both IGI for birth and marriage details last year. Birth details not listed . Marriage to Thomas Tait I already had found on Scotlands People last year. Will search further for Marriage cert.

Thanks for help given

Gloria

Jeff

Jeff Report 20 Feb 2017 07:50

Gloria: I’ve been doing some research on Agnes Halliday and her daughter Marion Hamilton, so came across this old post of yours. I don’t know if you ever found a birth record for Marion Hamilton, but – in case you haven’t – just letting you know it is now available on ScotlandsPeople:

Select Church Registers. At the top (Please select church), click on Other Churches, not the default Church of Scotland. Enter birth details: Marion Hamilton / 1844 to 1844 / Female / Lanark (County) / Wishaw Relief (Parish/Congregation). You will be able to access her original birth-and-baptism record: born 29 January 1844; baptised 26 March 1844. Alexander Hamilton and Agnes Halliday listed as parents. Alexander was a farm servant. Residence: Chapel (probably meaning Chapel Farm). The entire Wishaw Relief baptismal register for 1831 to 1864 have been transcribed and can be downloaded as a PDF (just search for ‘wishaw relief church baptismal register’ on Google). It includes Marion’s birth and baptism, of course, and lots of other Halliday-related births.

The problem with marriage records in Cambusnethan Parish (that Chapel and Morningside were part of) is that few Church of Scotland records from the old parish registers appear to be available between 1819 and 1854 (after which statutory registration began). While the Wishaw Relief record gives no hint of ‘illegitimacy’ (the one for Marion has the same format as hundreds of others), the 1851 Census – as you know – lists her as “unmarried” and daughter Marion with her. It appears that Agnes died not long after the 1851 Census (possibly between 1851 and 1854 as no statutory record can be found) and may have contracted either a regular or irregular marriage with Alexander before her death – maybe to ‘legitimize’ Marion’s birth (if irregular, the record of it would have been kept only by the couple). The 1869 marriage record and 1930 death record for Marion Tait (nee Hamilton) both record her parents with the format that indicates they were married: “Alexander Hamilton and Agnes Tait, maiden surname Halliday.” This isn’t proof of marriage, just the way Marion recorded their relationship.

PS: I live in Perth, Western Australia. Isobel or Isabella Halliday, one of the sisters of Agnes Halliday, married a Robb and became part of my core family history (Agnew).

PricklyHolly

PricklyHolly Report 20 Feb 2017 10:10

Hi Jeff

It is highly unlikley that Gloria will return to this thread now.

If you click on her name.......you can send her a personal message.

If Gloria is still a member with the same email address, GR will notify her of your message.

Prickles.;o))

Jeff

Jeff Report 28 Feb 2018 03:59

Thanks, Prickles.

I saw your advice almost exactly a year after you posted it. As a result, I sent a personal message to Gloria recently, she responded, and we are engaged in a very fruitful exchange of family history that is relevant to both of us (records, photos, etc.). It took seven years for Gloria to get some answers to her questions after first posting them in mid-2010! Thanks again for the tip.

Jeff