Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Military Records Help Please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

TOR

TOR Report 12 Sep 2010 13:38

I need some assistance in finding military records for some of my great uncles.

Louis Macdonald born Aug 1908, Exeter think he served in a somerset regiment of army. Rumour has it that he got a dishonourable discharge following an incident in China mid World Wars. (died 1999)

Frederick (Rick) Macdonald born 1910 Exeter. Been told he served in the Guards - Tank Regiment. (died 1985)

Reginald Macdonald born Yeovil, Somerset 1916. In Army. Died 1944 in Ilford Essex following a collison between a car and the motorcycle he was riding which may have happened up to a year previously. Don't know if he was 'on' service at time of collision.

Any help much appreciated.

TOR x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 12 Sep 2010 14:14

Second World War records are not online yet - they are still with the MOD.

Check here for details:-

http://www.veterans-uk.info/service_records/army.html

Kath. x

TOR

TOR Report 12 Sep 2010 14:30

Thanks Kathleen.

I was hoping that wasn't the answer, but it's appreciated all the same.

TOR x

Flick

Flick Report 12 Sep 2010 14:42

Only the next of kin can apply for the records, and proof of relationship is required, along with the death cert of the serviceman concerned.

Cost is aprox £30.00, and wiating time several months