Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

great grandfather john

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2010 12:13

i am trying to find marriage of john cawley born1854 watford and maria ? born1853 ,children ellen elizabeth, jane edward,caroline,and louisa maybe more, they lived in lambeth cannot find, PLEASE HELP Linda.r.J

Vera

Vera Report 17 Oct 2010 12:18

???????
Marriages Mar 1877 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CAWLEY John Lambeth 1d 491
ESCOTT George Charles Lambeth 1d 491
ESSENHIGH Katherine Lambeth 1d 491
HARMAN Fanny Eliza St George South'k 1d 491
Mann Maria Lambeth 1d 491

REgards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 17 Oct 2010 12:20

Ref

John Cawley
Estimated birth year: abt 1854
Relation: Head
Spouse's name: Maria Cawley
Where born: Watford, Hertfordshire, England

Civil parish: Lambeth
County/Island: London

Street Address: 122 Regent Street
Condition as to marriage: Married
Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Lambeth
Sub-registration district: Lambeth Church Second
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members: Name Age
John Cawley 27
Maria Cawley 26
Ellen Elizth. Cawley 3
Jane Edward Cawley 2
Caroline Cawley 1

Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 17 Oct 2010 13:12

Still looking for them in 1891

Regards Vera

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 17 Oct 2010 14:38

In 1901 Louisa Cawley (b 1886 Dec Q Lambeth ) is 13 and living with her married sister Caroline Bettell and brother in law Albert Bettell in Lambeth
Caroline Bettell died 1934 Surrey Mid E and Louisa married her brother in law Albert C E Bettell in 1947 Surrey Mid E

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 17 Oct 2010 14:39

The ref to a daughter called Jane Edward Cawley is I think a wrong transcription in 1881 -there is no such birth listed , but there is a James Edward Cawley b 1879 Mar Q Lambeth

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 17 Oct 2010 15:19

James Cawley Married Sarah Emma Harrison 1900 Dec Q Lambeth and in 1901 they are both living in Miniver St St George the martyr Southwark -James is a Horsekeeper for LCC

Maria Mann was actually born in Littlehampton according to the 1861 census (her fathers name and occupation match the marriage register entry and by 1861 her family is living at 22 Tower St Southwark)

James Mann 30 Wood Sawyer b Kirdford sussex
Jane 32 wife b Southwick
Elizabeth Oakshall 69 aunt Laundress b Southwick
MARIA 6 b Littlehampton
Fanny 4 b Watford Herts
Ellen 1 mth b Bermondsey Surrey

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2010 16:07

wow that was quick, thanks a million for your help i have been trying for mths and getting nowhere. kindest regards linda

Vera

Vera Report 17 Oct 2010 16:12

????

Deaths Jun 1886 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cawley Maria 35 Lambeth 1d 265

Regards Vera

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2010 18:55

THANK YOU VERA CAROL AND GILLIAN YOU HAVE BEEN TERRIFIC IF YOU GET ANYMORE INFO PLEASE ADD REGARDS LINDA

Linda

Linda Report 17 Oct 2010 19:20

VERA THAT MEANS MY GRANDMOTHER WAS ONLY 2YRS WHEN HER MOTHER DIED ,THATS WHY I COULDNT TRACE, THEM I FOUND A JOHN CAWLEY ON THE 1891 RECORDS AGE 38 LODGING AT JOHN SMITHS IN HARROW ROAD PADDINGTON BUT WAS NOT SURE IF IT WAS HIM , ANY THOUGHTS ? REGARDS LINDA

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 17 Oct 2010 19:41

I think there is another error in 1881 wth the birthplace of John Cawley. this seems to be him in 1861 and 1871

1861 2 cottage Road Lambeth
Edward Cawley 44 Paper hanger b Lambeth
Elizabeth 45 wife b Deptford
Louisa 14
Sarah 11
Wiliam 9
JOHN 7 all born Lambeth

1871 8 Doughty St Lambeth
Edward Cawley 55 Paper hanger b lambeth
Elizabeth 57 wife b Deptford
JOHN 17 Painter b Lambeth

In 1891 there is a John Cawley aged 38 living as a lodger in Paddington tho his marital status, occupation and place of birth are not given

There is a death in 1892 Dec Q Chelsea of a John Cawley aged 40 which could be him -might have died in a hospital away from home

Linda

Linda Report 18 Oct 2010 12:26

hi gillian, i see what you mean but on the1881 census it states herts watford,and the rest of the family lambeth how could they make a mistake its so different,as you are probably aware i'm new at this and realy appreciate your help,also if maria died age 35 the children ages12,11,10,3 and john at 40 chi 16,15,14,7 would they have been sent away ? i tried to find a newspaper lambeth 1890 do you think this might help? this is a real puzzle.but it looks like you are right ,not sure on death in chelsea age would be wrong by 2yrs .regards linda

Vera

Vera Report 18 Oct 2010 13:16

Births Jun 1854 (99%)

CAWLEY John Robert Lambeth 1d 294

Regards Vera

Linda

Linda Report 18 Oct 2010 20:53

thanks vera, i will try to see if it matches parents,oooo i think i better have a cup of tea first, been on here ages regards linda

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 18 Oct 2010 21:05

Linda -how could they make a mistake like that ? Easy if a transcriber is not paying attention or interrupted and resumes on the wrong line -human error is met all the time in this game and we have seen more than usual here already!
As for the death -the info given is only as reliable as the person notifying the death -if in hospital his actual age may not have been known

Linda

Linda Report 19 Oct 2010 09:35

thank you gillian,iwas trying to find johns dad edward's birth/marriage to link them, ifound edward cawley-elizabeth newson 25/05/1835 st luke chelsea,in your appinion do you think this is right,with all the wrong lines i can go down i've lost my confidence a bit,iappreciate all the time and help you are giving me. kindest regards linda

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 19 Oct 2010 10:44

It is possible -but if so Elizabeth would be with Edward in 1841 but no
Edward 26 is living in Lambeth with just son Edward 5 and I think he was possibly a widower then and married Elizabeth some time between 1841 and 1847 when Louisa was born
But she is a problem -where is she in 1851?
2 Cottage place Lambeth
Edward Cawley 34 Paper hanger b Newington
Elizabeth 34 wife b Deptford
Edward 15 b lambeth
Sarah 1 b Lambeth

(Edward Cawley bap 12/4/1819 St Mary Newington son of Edward and Mary)

There is a baptism for a Louisa Cawley 12/2/1848 Southwark but she is the daughter of John and Elizabeth Cawley
I just wonder if Elizabeth was sister in law to Edward and her husband John died and she came to live with Edward (Back then it was not lawful to marry your brothers widow)

I wil have another look later when time permits

GillianMac

GillianMac Report 19 Oct 2010 10:59

On reflection I think you could be right with that marriage!
The baptism I found for Louisa is wrong -the correct one is
Louisa sarah Cawley bap 27/6/1847 Lambeth daughter of Edward and Elizabeth
And in 1841 there is Living in Deptford (birthplace of your Elizabeth)
Church St
Elizabeth Cawley 27
Eliza 5
Sarah 2 all born kent
Next door is John Newson 57 who is probably her father so it looks as if for some reason husband and wife are apart at that time , Elizabeth with the 2 girls next to ther father and Edward and his son working in Lambeth?

Linda

Linda Report 19 Oct 2010 12:02

thank you gillian,it's likke being a detective, and very time consuming,i'm going to walk dog and get some air been at this 4hrs steady and will resume aternoon appreciate your help kindest regards linda