Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Evelyn

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 15:51

I am trying to trace my mothers roots.
Her name was Diane Leslie Macleod and said she was born in India in 1906 whilst her father Robert Macleod was serving there with the 1st Seaforth Highlanders, they lived at Fort George in Inverness on returning to U K from there mother was sent to live with an Aunt Kate in Stornoway, sadly I do not know Aunt Kates surname in the same household were cousins Donald and Ishbel, maybe others also.
Mother worked at Springfield mental Hospital in London from 7/6/1927- 19/6/1928.
My mother married my father in Wandsworth in 1929, Dad was Herbert R J Roy on thier marriage cert Dianes father is given as Robert Macleod, Major, 1st Seaforth Highlanders, deceased.
My Mother died in Weymouth Dorset in 1952.
Any help would be much appreciated
Thanking you in anticipation
Evelyn

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Nov 2010 15:57

Not much help but might be Robert:

1891 Scotland Census
about Robert McLeod
Name: Robert McLeod
Estimated birth year: abt 1866
Relationship: Subordinate
Where born: Lochs, Ross
Registration Number: 91
Registration district: Ardersier
Civil Parish: Ardersier
County: Inverness
Address: Parish of Ardersier on the Moray Firth
ED: Fort George Barracks

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 16:05

Thank you for that Jan, how do I go about trying to find out if he is the correct Robert? I am not very computer literate. The only knowledge I have of Robert is that given on my parents marriage cert

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 18 Nov 2010 16:12

You probably need to locate her birth. I am supposed to have full FMP access but can't see overseas births unfortunately - hopefully someone else can do so.
Jan

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 16:12

Mother told me that she went to school in Stornoway, Isle of lewis but I dont know which school

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 16:14

Thank you Jan

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Nov 2010 16:22

You have a 32 page thread for the same request on Trying to Find Board
http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards.page/board/trying_to_find/macleod/thread/1133150

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 16:25

Yes I am aware of that and have been advised to post on here.
Thank you for your interest

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 18 Nov 2010 16:28

But we all the same genes members who look around the boards and help where we can so any info posted already will get duplicated.

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 18 Nov 2010 16:30

Sorry if I have broken any rules

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 21 Nov 2010 00:01

I wish to explain myself.
I understood this clinic was for breaking down brick walls and I consider that I have come up against a brickwall possibly an iron curtain.
I am an OAP and not very computer literate and before I pop my clogs would very much like to find my roots.
I didnt expect to be bitten and I feel upset to know that I have offended someone

Helen

Helen Report 21 Nov 2010 00:08

Hi Evelyn

You have not offended anyone, pleased dont feel that you cant post on here.

Helen

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 21 Nov 2010 00:13

Thank you Helen.
I really would like to find my roots but am beginning to loose hope

Helen

Helen Report 21 Nov 2010 00:21

Dont lose hope, i dont know if this has been said before, but have you put adds in newspapers, there will be someone, somewhere that knows her, dont give up.

Helen

Evelyn

Evelyn Report 21 Nov 2010 00:27

Yes I have had help from The Stornoway Gazzette, they published a letter on my behalf but sadly there were no replies, people have been helpful but somehow no one seems to be able to breech the barrier
I have never known any of my mothers family