Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

William Massey - Australia

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 23 Nov 2010 22:09

Hello All
I am trying to find any information on William Massey. William married a Mabel Marchant in 1853 in Petersham, Australia. (I have the marriage transcription but only states the date of marriage, who and where no other info)
I had thought that I was on the right track once I received the death transcription but found that it was the wrong William Massey as this one was born in 1834 and his wifes name was Isabella Strachan and they were married the same year 1853 so this can not be the right one. I think my William was born around 1830.
Any help really appreciated.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2010 22:11

Mabel MERCHANT (AFN: WZB6-WF) Pedigree
Sex: F Family

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Event(s)
Birth: Abt 1838
Cooks River, St.george, Nsw, Australia

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Parents
Father: James MERCHANT (AFN: WZB6-SW) Family
Mother: Ann (PITHERS) (AFN: WZB6-T3)

Marriage(s)
Spouse: William MASSEY (AFN: WZ9X-83) Family
Marriage: 14 Feb 1853
St.peter's, St.george, Nsw

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2010 22:12

Husband's Name
William MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-83) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1830 Place: Parramatta, , Nsw, Australia
Married: 14 Feb 1853 Place: St.peter's, St.george, Nsw

Father:
Mother:

Wife's Name
Mabel MERCHANT (AFN:WZB6-WF) Pedigree

Born: Abt 1838 Place: Cooks River, St.george, Nsw, Australia
Married: 14 Feb 1853 Place: St.peter's, St.george, Nsw

Father: James MERCHANT (AFN:WZB6-SW) Family
Mother: Ann (PITHERS) (AFN:WZB6-T3)

Children

1. Sex Name
F Susan A MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-BF) Pedigree

Born: 1853 Place: , , Nsw, Australia

2. Sex Name
M William H MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-CL) Pedigree

Born: 1856 Place: , , Nsw, Australia
Died: 1858 Place: , , Nsw, Australia

3. Sex Name
F Hannah MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-FX) Pedigree

Born: 1860 Place: , , Nsw, Australia

4. Sex Name
M William MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-G4) Pedigree

Born: 1862 Place: , , Nsw, Australia

5. Sex Name
M Solomon MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-H9) Pedigree

Born: 1864 Place: , , Nsw, Australia
Died: 1864 Place: , , Nsw, Australia

6. Sex Name
F Emma Louise MASSEY (AFN:WZB6-DT) Pedigree

Born: 1865 Place: , , Nsw
Died: 2 May 1926 Place:

7. Sex Name
M Richard James MASSEY (AFN:WZ9X-DR) Pedigree

Born: 13 Mar 1858 Place: Connolly's Bush, St.george, Nsw, Australia
Died: 17 Mar 1933 Place: Canterbury, , Nsw, Australia
Buried: 19 Mar 1933 Place: Woronora, Sutherland, Nsw, Australia

Christine

Christine Report 23 Nov 2010 22:19

Ann of Green Gables

Thank you for the above info.
Even though it gives me the childrens names and his wifes name and family it still does not tell me any info on William.
Do you have any ideas as to what I should do now.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2010 22:37

that's all I can see on William - so far!!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2010 22:42

found this

William Massey Pedigree
Male

Event(s):
Birth: About 1831 Of, , New South Wales, Australia

Christine

Christine Report 23 Nov 2010 23:03

Ann of Green Gables

Thank you any info much appreciated.
Do you have any suggestions on how I would go about finding any more info. eg would I have to go to the actual church?

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 23 Nov 2010 23:14

you may well find more in a Mormon Church - they have extensive records and the information I have psted is from their site

Valerie

Valerie Report 24 Nov 2010 01:54

....was the death cert. you had transcribed reg.no. 2714//1907 - parents John & Rebecca?

The 'NSW State Library' (on-line) has an 'Ask a Librarian' service .... they MAY find your William (& the other one!) on their records .... (think there's an early census pre 1900 ... hopefully they will find him.
Valerie (WAus)

Christine

Christine Report 24 Nov 2010 02:32

Ann of Green Gables

Thank you I will try the Mormon Church

Christine

Christine Report 24 Nov 2010 02:35

Valerie
Thank you
Yes that is the one I have.
I will also try the NSW State Library.

Christine

Christine Report 24 Nov 2010 02:37

Lynette

Thank you.
I will obtain this death cert and find out if it is correct.

Valerie

Valerie Report 24 Nov 2010 03:41

Christine ....there's 'Joy Murrin's Transcription Services' (on-line) she will 'search' NSW/BDM certs for abt $19 .... (cheaper than buying) .

Valerie (WAus)

MEgirl

MEgirl Report 26 Nov 2010 07:17

Christine, I have checked a few public trees on Ancestry. It appears that Mabel married Reuben Thomas Hollis at Dapto NSW c1868 (no records found) and had the following children:

Sarah A Hollis 1869 Cooma d. 1875 Bega
Reuben Thomas Hollis 1871 Bombala
William Hollis 1873, Bega
Sarah A Hollis b. 1876 Bega
Francis Hollis b. 1881 Bega

Mabel (Marchant) Hollis d. 17/5/1912 at Bega 4887/1912 parents James and Ann and was buried 18/5/1912 at Bega.

I have checked Queensland and Victorian BDM for a death for William Massey, but can't find one that matches, although I did find a son William Henry Massey in Qld. 1927/C2791

I found three Funeral Notices for Reuben Hollis 7582/1915. This one stood out:

Sydney Morning Herald 3/4/1915 - Hollis - The friends of Mr. and Mrs. Richard Massey and family are kindly invited to attend the funeral of their late, dearly loved father and grandfather Reuben Thomas Hollis, to leave Mayville, Lilydale Road, Marrickville, this afternoon at 1.30 o'clock for Church of England Cemetery, Woronora.

Richard Massey is also buried at Woronora, but no William. It is possible that Mabel's death certificate might provide information on her first husband.

Best Wishes.

Christine

Christine Report 26 Nov 2010 10:16

MEgirl
Thank you for the above information. I never new that Mabel may have married again it gives me something else to look for.