Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

john langstaff or longstaff born1848 durham

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janice

Janice Report 2 Dec 2010 20:48

my ancestor calls himself langstaff on marriage to sarah appleton in 1869 in reading then moves to sussex and uses longstaff, first child maria langstaff then other children longstaff. his middle name varies between chalders and charles, i need to find his ancestors
janice

patchem

patchem Report 2 Dec 2010 20:54

What is the name of his Father from the marriage certificate?
Thanks

patchem

patchem Report 2 Dec 2010 20:58

For information:
1871 England Census
John Charles Longstaff
Age: 21 Estimated birth year: abt 1850 Relation: Head Spouse's name: Sarah Jane Longstaff Gender: Male Where born: County, Durham, England Civil Parish: Sulhampstead Banister County/Island: Berkshire Country: England Registration district: Bradfield Sub-registration district: Mortimer ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Household schedule number: 31

John Charles Longstaff 21 engine driver
Sarah Jane Longstaff 21 Sulhamstead, Berkshire
Maria Jane Longstaff 2 Sulhamstead, Berkshire

Source Citation: Class: RG10; Piece: 1276; Folio: 77; Page: 18; GSU roll: 827851.

Ozibird

Ozibird Report 2 Dec 2010 21:12

I'd say there's been some mistranscription. Do you have the actual marriage cert?

Ozi

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 2 Dec 2010 23:04

Janice, on your Ancestry tree you have his father's name as John (no other details or mother's name).

How did you get this name? If you have any more clues that might help then let us know and we'll see what we can dig out.

Mike *

Mike * Report 3 Dec 2010 00:44

Looks like him in 1881 but with different "wife " ... can't see a marriage though

Household:1881

John C. LONGSTAFF Head M Male 31 Durham, England Engine Driver Agriculture
Jane C. LONGSTAFF Wife M Female 31 Reading, Berkshire, England
Maria J. LONGSTAFF Daughter U Female 10 Reading, Berkshire, England Scholar
Alice T. LONGSTAFF Daughter Female 8 New Shoreham, Sussex, England Scholar
Fredk. W. LONGSTAFF Son Male 2 New Shoreham, Sussex, England
Geo. DAWSON Lodger U Male 21 Richmond, York, England Engine Fitter At Works
Walter APPLETON Lodger U Male 21 Reading, Berkshire, England Journeyman Bootmaker

Dwelling 15 Queens Place
Census Place New Shoreham, Sussex, England

patchem

patchem Report 3 Dec 2010 06:55

Could be same wife, as she is Sarah Jane in 1871, and in 1901 Sarah J, so Jane and wrongly written C not S in 1881, (and Jenny in 1891).

Janice, comments please.

Janice

Janice Report 3 Dec 2010 08:46

sarah jane is the same in all census , she alternates between jane,jenny and sarah and i have been able to research her
the marriage certificate is dated 6th june 1869 and he is listed as john chalders langstaff engine driver, his father has the identical name and is also listed as engine driver
john's age is given as 20

Janice

Janice Report 3 Dec 2010 08:50

in shoreham he is definitely john charles longstaff and becomes a steam plough agent and a councillor . i have found him in trade directories and the census, my problem lies prior to his marriage.

Janice

Janice Report 3 Dec 2010 13:54

my main problem is that longstaff and langstaff are so common in the durham area and i have been unable to locate his parents.

patchem

patchem Report 3 Dec 2010 17:09

Have you looked for all the son John/father John combinations in 1861, and then tracked what happens to them in 1871? Son John marries at a relatively young age, so wrong Johns could still be at home in 1871, and so can be eliminated?
(Just a suggestion, as you seem to have all the census access that you need)
(Do you mean his father was also John Chalders Longstaff?
Thanks)

Janice

Janice Report 3 Dec 2010 21:24

yes according to the marriage certificate, i cannot find 2 johns in durham in the previous census of 1861, with the profession of engine driver, perhaps i have overlooked something, any ideas

patchem

patchem Report 3 Dec 2010 22:19

I assume a slight change of profession, so as the son is an agricultural engineer/engine driver, the father can start off as an agricultural labourer(for 1861)?
Have you got any John (father) as an engine driver in 1871? (And was he definitely still alive when the son married?)
Sorry, not much use.

Janice

Janice Report 5 Dec 2010 18:18

thanks, but this is my dead end as i cannot see any likely contenders for his father