Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

R.A.F. 1943 / 46

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Janet

Janet Report 31 Jan 2011 22:41

Trying to find Joan Pennington born 13/2/1925, Madras, India. She trained in the R.A.F. during the war as a motor mechanic but I'm not sure where in England. Hoping to find out whether she married or not and to whom. I know all her birth details and family but am trying to move on from 1940's. She may have been based in Staffordshire. I found a Joan Wilson ( maiden name Pennington ) born on that date and marrying in Lancashire in 1973. Thanks for reading this. Janet

Janet

Janet Report 1 Feb 2011 22:09

Thanks Flick.

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 1 Feb 2011 22:26

if you know her exact date of birth you can try searching deaths at Ancestry for Joan born on that exact date, since deaths after 1969 show the date of birth in the index

................. then you would have to see whether there was a marriage for a Joan Pennington to any of the surnames in the results ............

chrissie x

Janet

Janet Report 7 Feb 2011 19:10

Many thanks for that Chrissie. Will do tomorrow. Janet

Janet

Janet Report 8 Feb 2011 22:38

Have found a Joan Wilson died 2003 with correct date of birth on Ancestry. There is a Joan Pennington/ Wilson marriage in 1973 in Ince registration district of Lancashire but the ref nos. are not the same. However, I think one of them has been incorrectly transcribed. It seems a bit late for her to marry. Janet

chrissiex

chrissiex Report 8 Feb 2011 22:46

late marriages sometimes occur when one of the parties was not free to marry before, but the partnership is a longstanding one

if the ref numbers are similar then mistranscription is the likely reason

viewing the images could solve the problem, or there may be an error in the index

there are 10 births in Ince in the 1950s and 1960s with the surnames in question

oh, but there is a marriage 1953 in Ince with those male and female surnames.

Janet

Janet Report 10 Feb 2011 19:31

I have looked closely at the details and they do match. ( 10C 1188 ) Thanks very much. Janet

Janet

Janet Report 2 Apr 2011 19:56

I found the death of Joan's father William Henry Pennington in a hospital in the Preston area. Thanks to all those who tried to help. Janet

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Oct 2012 13:16

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1313109

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 26 Oct 2012 16:56

Buy the Wilson death cert...............it will tell you her maiden name and birthplace

No point in asking yet again...........and causing irritation with duplicate requests

Janet

Janet Report 17 May 2015 22:15

Thankyou very much for all your help. Janet