Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

australian ancestors

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Beewasp

Beewasp Report 18 Feb 2011 15:31

In 1916 Elizabeth Bartley married Oscar Edgar Congdon in Broken Hill,N.S.W
Australia.They had nine children. I am looking for the details of these children and also a child Elizabeth had born Sept.1st.1914 named Herbert Baldock Bartley
BJW.

Ruth

Ruth Report 18 Feb 2011 19:49

From Barrier Miner (Broken Hill NSW) 14 Jun 1947

The engagement is announced of Elizabeth May, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs J E Rigg, to Herbert Bartley, only son of Mrs O E Congdon, of 93 Hebbard Street.

From Barrier Miner (Broken Hill NSW) 29 Mar 1949

The marriage will take place on Saturday April 2 at the Chapple Street Baptist Church at 4pm of Elizabeth May, youngest daughter of Mr and Mrs J Rigg, and Herbert Bartley, only son of Mrs O Congdon of 93 Hebbard Street ....

Ruth

Ruth Report 18 Feb 2011 19:57

From Barrier Miner (Broken Hill NSW) 29 Sep 1941

The marriage of Gladys, eldest daughter of Mr and Mrs O E Congdon, of 98 Hebbard Street, to Les, third son of Mr and Mrs J Hocking, of 34 Cummina Street, was solemnised in the Thomas Street Methodist Church on Saturday September 20.

There is a full article that you can find on Trove website (free).

You can see from NSW BDM index that Gladys May Congdon married Leslie Henry Hocking at Broken Hill.

Cynthia

Cynthia Report 19 Feb 2011 19:12

Hello. Also try putting the names you are researching into the Search Trees box above to see if anyone on this site has them in their tree. If you find a connection, you can contact the tree owner. Cx

Beewasp

Beewasp Report 21 Feb 2011 10:43

Hi Ruth, Thank you for the info.Very helpful.As I am in England I am unable to access NSW records. I do know that Herbert Bartleys Mother had nine children including Herbert who as indicated was born two years before in 1914.

Ingrid in Oz

Ingrid in Oz Report 21 Feb 2011 10:59

Marriage
6075/1917 CONGDON OSCAR E BARTLEY ELIZABETH G BROKEN HILL

You can access NSW BDM here http://www.bdm.nsw.gov.au/familyHistory/searchHistoricalRecords.htm

Births up to 1910
Deaths up to 1980
Marriages uo to 1960

As the ones you are looking for are after these dates I would try Cynthias suggestion and try Search trees at the top of the page.

Cheers

Julcoe

Julcoe Report 21 Feb 2011 12:01

I have checked the electoral rolls for the Congdon family from 1930 to 1954 (internet access) and the only other person listed at 93 Hebbard St was "Jean" in 1943.

Herbert Baldock Bartley was also at this address in 1936 & 1937, as a Shop Assistant, and in 1943 & 1949 as a Fettler.
In 1954 he was at 29 Silver St., and a Platelayer, with Elizabeth May.

Valerie

Valerie Report 22 Feb 2011 00:44

Hi Brian

Gladys May Congdon b 1918 Broken Hill (parents Elizabeth G & Oscar E)
( no earlier 'Bartley' birth registed by Elizabeth Bartley)

Gladys May Congdon m Leslie Henry Hocking 1941
Gladys Hocking death notice (Ryerson Index) 16/8/2000 'late of Byron Bay' formerly of Blakehurst ...... 'Sydney Morning Herald' 19/8/2000
Ryersons (on-line) will do a 'look-up' of newspaper notice.

2 'Congdon' marriages at Broken Hill (poss daughters?)
1947 Jean Congdon m John Pearce
1957 Lois Clare Congdon m Wm Frederick Dand.

Valerie (WAus)

Beewasp

Beewasp Report 22 Feb 2011 10:12

Hi Valerie,
Many thanks for the info. Gradually piecing the family together.Now have four of the nine children with your names.

Regards, Brian(West Sussex.England)