Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

GRANDFATHER

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Samuel

Samuel Report 25 Feb 2011 19:46

i need help i am looking for any info about Sam Rogers born in the 18 sixties in London. he married my gran Minnie on the 30th Dec 1905 in ST Johns church manchester.I then found them on the 1911 census living in Chorlton on Medlock with my dad born 1910. With them were Arthur and Gladys children from her first marriage to Arthur Brindley .I know all about Minnie born Staffordshire but nothing about Sam except on the marriage certificate it read he was born in London City and his father was Isaac ( deceased).he is not on any births or census except 1911 S o i have given up hope but i am hoping to at least find his death certificate minnie died in 1935 in SALFORD

Sam died before in manchester/Lancashire but i can not find when hope some one can help Sam

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Feb 2011 19:50

Did Minnies death cert say whether she was wife or widow of ? it will give a time scale of when he was around still

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Feb 2011 19:55

?????????
Deaths Jun 1931
Rogers Samuel 67 Salford 8d 407

Gwyn

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 25 Feb 2011 19:56

1911, for our reference:

ROGERS, Samuel Head Married M 45 1866 Coachmaker London City
ROGERS, Minnie Wife Married 7 years F 38 1873 Handley
BRIDLEY, Arhur Stepson Single M 14 1897 Schoolboy Handley
BRINDLEY, Glaydas Stepdaughter Single F 11 1900 Schoolgirl Handley
ROGERS, Samuel Son Single M 0 (4 MONTHS) 1911 Manchester
LEE, Rose Lodger Single F 23 1888 Mill Girl Glasgow
MCNULTY, Thomas Lodger Single M 33 1878 Coachman Ireland

Registration District: Chorlton Sub District: Chorlton upon Medlock
Enumeration District: 5 Parish: South Manchester

Address: 11 Higher Temple St C on M M/c
County: Lancashire

Samuel

Samuel Report 25 Feb 2011 20:10

Thanks I HAVE THE 1911 CENSUS and ihave found the 1931 death but i have sent for 2 certificates before both wrong so i was hoping to find definate this time.before sending for it .The trouble is 1931 means born 1864, 1905 marriage makes him born 1863 ,and 1911 census means born1866 so you see the problems i have Minnie died after him.

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 25 Feb 2011 20:18

Do you know if Minnie is buried with him?
Perhaps graveyard / cemetery records will give a death date.

Gwyn

Samuel

Samuel Report 25 Feb 2011 20:41

no i don,t know if Minnie with him all i know is that being 1935 there was a depression and my dad did,nt have the money to bury her so from what i heard she was buried in a paupers grave

jax

jax Report 25 Feb 2011 20:46

A couple of years out was no big deal back then, most did'nt know when they were born and the informant on the death cert may not have known either

jax

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 26 Feb 2011 10:25

Hello Sam - Jax is perfectly correct about discrepancies in ages. Because literacy wasn't as good then as it is now (mostly!) people often couldn't read their documents so relied on memory as to when they were born - not always reliable.

The other thing to bear in mind is that people didn't give the census enumerator their year of birth, they just said how old they were and the enumerator worked out what he believed to be the year of birth from that - again not always reliable.

Regarding my posting the 1911 census - yes, I know you already had it - you said so in your opening post. The reason for posting it is so that the helpers on here can see what you have already seen - it gives us something to work from, and it's our usual practice.

On the 1905 marriage certificate it says Isaac is deceased - does it give a former occupation for him?

Also, does it say on the certificate if Samuel was a bachelor or widower? Given that he would have been in his forties when he wed Minnie he may have been married before. All this sort of info might help us trace him.

Samuel

Samuel Report 26 Feb 2011 15:19

Dear, Marie Celeste, Yes Isaac was a horse dealer Samuel was a widower when he married Minnie at the time of marriage he was 42 he was a general dealer.He also signed his name with an x.

So could,not read or write I was also lead to believe there was Jewish in the family but if Isaac married out Sam would not be Jewish because as far as i know it goes through the mother.

Marie thank you for your time i hope you can find some thing

Best Wishes Sam