Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

TTF info on Mathew Howard Kavanagh Ireland / USA

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 28 Feb 2011 19:07

Hello All,
Whilst looking for information about my great aunt Sarah Kavanagh (1890) and her brother Nicholas Kavanagh (1888) (my grandad's sister & brother) who imergrated to the USA in 1909 on another site I was told that on their passenger details it stated that they where traveling onto meet up with their uncle Mathew Howard in California USA ??
Having asked around the family and with no joy from other areas I was hoping someone might beable to help shed some light on who Mathew Howard was. He must I guess have married into the Kavanagh clan.
My granfather & Co hail from Buncarrig, Broadway, Co. Wexford Ireland so guess Mathew must as well??
Help pls and thanks in advance
Gerry

Gee

Gee Report 28 Feb 2011 19:35

Boston Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1943
about Nicholas Kavanagh
Name: Nicholas Kavanagh
Arrival Date: 1 Apr 1909
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1889
Ethnic Background: Irish
Port of Departure: Queenstown, Ireland
Ship Name: Ivernia
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Matthew Kavanagh UNCLE
Last Residence: Ireland
Birthplace: Broadway, Ireland

The details for both Nicholas and Sarah have been crossed through so maybe they didnt travel?

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 28 Feb 2011 19:43

Thanks Ginny;
Information I have is from Ellis Island differs from yours, Can I ask where yours come from please as this may help explain why I'm have trouble finding them if their on different ships & uncle Methew is Kavanagh not Howard.
Info I have:
Arrived USA 7th April 1909 on the SS Caronia from Queenstown to New York aged 20 and a laborer. Travelling to San Francisco to join his uncle Methew Howard living on Petaluma Ave California.

Just re-read your post and "The details for both Nicholas and Sarah have been crossed through so maybe they didnt travel" may explain the differance dates but not Uncle Mathew surname?

Kind Regards
Gerry

Gee

Gee Report 28 Feb 2011 20:03

I got my info from Ancestry...the name is Matthew Howard Kavanagh

Heres the Irish 1911....is this your family

Residents of a house 2 in Kilhile (Ballyhack, Wexford)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses Years Married Children Born Children Living
Kavanagh John 70 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farm labourer Read only - Widower - 37 5 3
Kavanagh John 40 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farm labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
Kavanagh Nicholas 26 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farm labourer Read and write - Single - - - -
Power Anne 48 Female Sister in Law

If you could give us all the info you have on this family such as parents and anything else that might help

x

Gee

Gee Report 28 Feb 2011 20:08

1901 census

Residents of a house 1 in St. Awaries (Ladysisland, Wexford)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Kavanagh Edward 48 Male Head of Family Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farmer Cannot read - Widower -
Kavanagh Bessie M 15 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farmers Daughter Read and write - Not Married -
Kavanagh Nicholas 13 Male Son Roman Catholic Co Wexford Farmers Son Read and write - Not Married -
Kavanagh Sarah 10 Female Daughter Roman Catholic Co Wexford Scholar Read and write - Not Married -
Kavanagh Laurence 7 Male Son

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 28 Feb 2011 20:23

Wow Ginny that amazing: So Howard was his middle name not Surname.
I have no information other than that my great grandad's was possible called John Kavanagh which ties in with what you got if we can link these with Maththew Howard Kavanagh then would make him Sarah's & Nicholas's uncle.

Info I do have:
Grandad Lawrence Kavanagh (1894 - 1970) married Bridget Oakes
(1899- 1982)
G Grandad Edward Kavanagh (c1856) married Mary Mahon
GG Grandad Possible John Kavanagh (as above)married ??
All from and around Broadway Co Wexford Eire

Sorry missed your last post 1901 census: That is spot on as I have my Grandad born St Awaries, Broadway Co Wexford Eire

Many Many Thanks
Gerry x

Gee

Gee Report 28 Feb 2011 20:44

Gerry

Have a look through the Irish census...its free

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

x

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 28 Feb 2011 20:45

1910 United States Federal Census about Sarah Karanaugh
Name: Sarah Karanaugh
[Sarah Kavanaugh]
Age in 1910: 19
Estimated Birth Year: 1891
Birthplace: Ireland
Relation to Head of House: Niece
Father's Birth Place: Ireland
Mother's Birth Place: Ireland
Home in 1910: San Rafael, Marin, California
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Year of Immigration: 1909
Household Members:
Name Age
Martine (Matthew) Karanaugh 54 born Ireland retired
Catherine Karanaugh 50 born Ireland
Sarah Karanaugh 19
Source Citation: Year: 1910; Census Place: San Rafael, Marin, California; Roll: T624_88; Page: 3A; Enumeration District: 0047; Image: 221; FHL Number: 1374101.

Maureen

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 28 Feb 2011 20:53

Maureen,
Thank you very much that seem to tie into what I have learnt so far. So I guess we can now differantly say that Matthew Kavanagh was my G Grandad's Edward (Sarah & Nichols's dad) 's brother. YES??

(called for dinner so back tomoz)

Again Thanks
Gerry x

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 1 Mar 2011 14:26

Hi All
Just a quick update;
Information so far:
My Great Grandad:- Edward Kavanagh 1853
My Great Gran:- Mary Kavanagh (nee Mahon) c1866 Born: Knockaneasy, Ireland (father’s name Laurence Mahon)
Edward’s brother: Matthew Howard Kavanagh(c1855) married Catherine no surname (then they went to the USA c1909 and joined later by Sarah & Nicholas)

My Great Great Grandad:- John Kavanagh c1840 no marriage details

Thanks for everyones help and any more information you can find will be most appricated as to take my family even further back.

Regards
Gerry x

MaureeninNY

MaureeninNY Report 1 Mar 2011 14:39

Hi Gerry,
Just to note that Matthew came over to the US quite early on and it looks as though he married here as well.
1900 United States Federal Census about Mathew Kavanagh
Name: Mathew Kavanagh
Home in 1900: San Rafael, Marin, California
[San Rafael, Marin, California]
Birth Date: Mar 1850
Birthplace: Ireland
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1869

Relationship to head-of-house: Head
Father's Birthplace: Ireland
Mother's Birthplace: Ireland
Spouse's Name: Katharine Kavanagh
Marriage Year: 1881
Marital Status: Married
Years Married: 19

Household Members:
Name Age
Mathew Kavanagh 50 Occ:Real Estate
Katharine Kavanagh 40
Agnes B Mcdonald 39 servant
Source Citation: Year: 1900; Census Place: San Rafael, Marin, California; Roll: T623_93; Page: 12B; Enumeration District: 58.

Maureen

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 1 Mar 2011 15:22

Hi Maureen,
Sorry missed your post (phone rang & than got distrated by food). Thanks it looks like Matthew was only 19 when he left like Sarah..did he have anyone waiting for him or is he the first Kavanagh out there?

Regards
Gerry

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 1 Mar 2011 15:30

Wonder if this is Matthew's arrival in USA? Original doesn't tell us anything else.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957
about Matthew Kavanagh Name: Matthew Kavanagh
Arrival Date: 6 Apr 1870
Birth Year: abt 1849
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Irish
Place of Origin: Ireland
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York
Port Arrival State: New York
Port Arrival Country: United States
Ship Name: Calabria

ScobbyDoo

ScobbyDoo Report 1 Mar 2011 15:36

Hi Mad Bull,
Thanks for the passenger info..Looks good to me but a few differences about arrival date & Dob but otherwise it seems to be him.

Cheers
Gerry