Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Looking for Emily or May Williams

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 13 Mar 2011 20:40

I am trying to locate relatives or descendants of my aunt Emily or aunt May, both of whom lived in Sussex probably in Haywards Heath . Emily probably married a man named John Botting. One or other of them had a daughter and the other had a son, of course there may have been other children as well. I think there was also a brother named Herbert but I'm not sure. My name is Ken, but as a child I was known as Micky and had a sister named Babs

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Mar 2011 20:43

At least one date is going to be needed here ...

edit

The thing is, no one who actually knows these people will ever see your message (consider the odds ...).

But there are lots of other members here who can help find info for you.

Try this:

Click on Help Clinic in the upper left, and browse the instructions.

Click on Trying to Find. You'll see your post on the big complete TTF board, not the tiny Botting "surname board". Or you won't, because so many other threads will have been started by the time you look back here. ;)

Then click on "My thread participation" on the left to find this thread any time, and use the Add Reply box at the bottom to add the info that strangers need to help find more.

Andrew

Andrew Report 13 Mar 2011 20:45

For time/place

Surname First name(s) Spouse District Vol Page

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marriages Dec 1929 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Botting John C T Williams Lewes 2b 452
Williams Emily Botting Lewes 2b 452

Andy

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Mar 2011 20:49

There are two Botting-Williams births in Lewes, after that marriage, and then more in Brighton, Cuckfield and Worthing up to 1938 -- too recent to post here -- 7 in total.

They can all be found by searching for

births
surname Botting
mother's surname Williams

at

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

Ah, but there was a male Botting - female Williams marriage in Brighton in 1937, so probably only the Lewes births apply.

Kenneth

Kenneth Report 13 Mar 2011 20:59

Hi Janey I'm a bit puzzled as to what to do but thank you for your help, I will try that link you suggested thanks again.....Ken

JaneyCanuck

JaneyCanuck Report 13 Mar 2011 21:20

Once you go to the link you'll see, it's very easy.

All you need to do is put in what I suggested -- select "births" and put the father's and mother's surname.

Then it's the first two on the list.

That gives you the names of the two children of the Botting-Williams marriage (assuming this was your Williams and those are children of her marriage).

Unfortunately, they may not have survived to today, and in fact ...

Name: Hedley John Botting
Birth Date: 7 Jul 1930
Death Registration Month/Year: Oct 1998
Age at death (estimated): 68
Registration district: Lewes
Inferred County: Sussex
Register number: 66D
District and Subdistrict: 4591
Entry Number: 207

Name: Joseph Edgar Botting
Birth Date: 20 Apr 1932
Death Registration Month/Year: Jun 1992
Age at death (estimated): 60
Registration district: Newport
Inferred County: Glamorgan, Monmouthshire, Shropshire, Staffordshire
Volume: 28
Page: 771

Hedley Botting had the bad judgment to marry a Smith. ;) There are several possible children ... I'l send them to you privately.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 2 Mar 2013 23:12

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/living_relatives/thread/1320622

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1320610

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1320623