Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ralph Hollands Death Cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 6 Aug 2011 11:28

I am in poession of my 2x Great Grandfathers Death Certificate,

Ralph died the 19 July 1936 at Preston Road Tynemouth. He was 75 years old. His occupation of 28 Esplanade Whitley and Monkseaton UK a Butcher.

Cause of death
a Uaremia
b Enlarged prostate
certified by M L Minichan

Informant
S Mc Kenna
Causing the body to be buired 28 Esplande Whitley Bay

CENSUS

Ralph Holland, Head, Married, Aged 49, Butcher, Residence 45 North Road Wallsend on Tyne. Born Sheffield 1862
Susen McKenna, Servant, Aged 22. Born Sacriston Durham 1889
Walter Harold, Son, Single, Aged 17, Coppersmith Labourer, Born Benwell Northumberland 1894
Jane Anne Holland, Daughter, Aged 14, School, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1897
Jessie Holland, Daughter, Aged, 12, School, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1899
Henriette Holland, Daughter, Aged 8, School, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1903
Gladybs Mable Holland, Daughter, Aged 6, School. Born Wallsend Northumberland 1905
Florence Holland, Daughter, Aged 4, School, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1907
Elizabeth Holland, Duaghter, Aged 3, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1908
Albert Edward Holland, Son, Aged 1, Born Wallsend Northumberland 1910

His son fron his first marriage Ralph was also a butcher.

I have a picture of the butcher shop and we always thought it was the one in Thames Street Wallsend was there another one?

Who is the informant on his DC?

Information that I have:-

For his Son Ralph my Great Grandfather

By 1913 according to street directories the main shop is at Central Buildings on Thames Street where it joins Station Road, and another shop is at 154 High Street West, a short distance from the High Street/Staion Road junction, the centre of the retailig world in Wallsend.

The family is living at North Road wich links Mututal Street and Station Road a major road in the town, running from its norhtern edge to the riverside industrial area.

In the 1925 directory the shop in Central Building Wallsend is still listed, but the home address referers the reader to Whitley Bay. The Whitley Bay streets part of the directory only lists one Holland surname, namely William, a clerk living at 33 Queens Drive.

Thanks
Candis

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 6 Aug 2011 11:32

The informant looks like the servant Susan on the 1911 census. maybe she stayed in service with the famliy

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 6 Aug 2011 11:35

Thaks for that should have spotted that one.

Candis

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 6 Aug 2011 12:29

Perhaps Susan was more than a servant? I don't see a birth for Albert Edward Holland in the correct time scale and area but there is this one.

Births Sep 1909 McKenna Albert Edward Tynemouth 10b 208

A search of FreeBMD for Holland births shows that Gladys Mabel was the last of those children on the 1911 census to be registered under the surname Holland.

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 6 Aug 2011 13:20

Gladys Mabel was adopted by thomas whitfield maybe around 1930, birth name Gladys Mabel Holland.

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 6 Aug 2011 18:23

Walter Ernest Jul 1893 Newcastle 10b 66

Mary Ann 10b 168 Tynemouth

Jane Annie Oct 1896 10b 200 Tynemouth

Jessie Jan 1899 Tynemouth

Henrietta Jan 1903 10b 230

and of course Gladys Mabel Oct 1906 10 229 Tynemouth