Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Thomas Bassett b.1845 Marylebone

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 7 Sep 2011 20:57

Hi Everyone

I am looking for information on my gt grandfather Thomas Bassett. He was born 2nd June 1845 in Marylebone, the son of Thomas Bassett (c1821) and Elizabeth Susanna Bassett, formerly Hayward.

Thomas Bassett (1845) married Emma Elsley on 2 March 1868 at St. John Notting Hill. Witnesses James George Elsley and Emily Bassett.

They had one daughter, Ada Jane Basset born April 1868 and baptised 9 July 1876 in St. Marylebone Parish. (LMA Record). (My grandmother)

The latest record I have for both Thomas and Emma Bassett is the 1881 Census which has them living on Spring Street, Marylebone with their daughter Ada age 12. (There is a bit of a problem here as they have Ada's mother's name as Ada, not Emma, but I assume this is an error as all other information fits.)

Ada Jane Bassett (1868) married my grandfather Edward Ash in 1889. (There is another Ada Jane Bassett b.1864 who is the sister of Thomas).

I've found one 1891 Census which I think could be Thomas. He is listed as a Lodger, living in Marylebone, occupation Carpenter, which is correct, married, but I cannot find Emma anywhere.

I thought maybe Emma had died so a couple of years ago I sent off for a death certificate for an Emma Bassett who had died in 1885 aged 35 but it turned out to be a different person. (The cert I had in error for Emma Bassett was for Sept 1885/Chelsea - 1A 252).

What I am hoping to find is any Census or death record for Thomas Bassett (b.1845) later than the 1891 Census and for Emma any Census or death record after 1881.

Now to complicate things a bit the birth certificate for Ada Jane Basset has her birth date as 18th April 1868 and her parents as Thomas Basset, Carpenter, and Ellen Basset formely Ensley. I've searched the records over the last few years looking for a marriage of a Thomas Bassett to an Ellen Ensley but have found nothing. Recently when looking at the LMA baptism record again I noticed that they had a different birth date to what is on the cert, 9th April compared to 18th April on the cert. So I decided to order the cert again from the GRO giving the birth date from the LMA record and the name of the parents as Thomas and Emma (no GRO Index this time) to see what they would do. They couldn't find any other so sent the one I had already with parents Thomas Basset and Ellen Ensley which I promptly returned and got a refund.

I'm hoping someone will be able to find what happened to this couple. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Marie.

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Sep 2011 21:14

The 1881 census you mentioned shows Ada not Emma as wife

Household: 1881

Thomas BASSETT Head M Male 35 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Carpenter
Ada BASSETT Wife M Female 30 Chelsea, Middlesex, England Carpenters Wife
Ada BASSETT Daur Female 12 Marylebone, Middlesex, England Scholar
James LAYTON Boarder Male 10 m Marylebone, Middlesex, England
:
Dwelling 17 Spring Street
Census Place London, Middlesex, England

patchem

patchem Report 7 Sep 2011 21:18

Mike,
I think moonbeam was assuming that that was an enumerator error, and they had written Ada twice, once for Mother and once for daughter, instead of Emma and then Ada.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 7 Sep 2011 21:54

Mike
I was aware that they had Ada as wife on the 1881 Census but assumed as patchem states that it was an error . I did mention this in my original post.

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 7 Sep 2011 22:07

Surely Ensley on the birth cert is just a misrendition of Elsley?

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 7 Sep 2011 22:21

Kucinta
This is very likely but the forename is also different - Ellen instead of Emma but I do accept that this is the correct birth record. My main concern is finding out what happened to Thomas and Emma after 1881/1891.

patchem

patchem Report 7 Sep 2011 22:24

Not seen anything for censuses or deaths.
Sorry.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 7 Sep 2011 22:36

Thanks for looking Patchem.

Mike *

Mike * Report 7 Sep 2011 23:24

Sorry Moonbeam, that bit about Ada slipped my notice.

Should've gone to Specsavers.

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 7 Sep 2011 23:42

Had a good look ,but can`t find them..

What did Ada put on her marriage cert, under father and occupation??

Nicky

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 7 Sep 2011 23:48

is this death reg. Thomas father also named Thomas? if do would it be worth getting the cert. to see who the informant was, if his son Thomas was still alive it may have been him??

Deaths Jun 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Bassett Thomas 81 Marylebone 1a 365

Nicky

Nickydownsouth

Nickydownsouth Report 7 Sep 2011 23:51

This seems to be the only Thomas Bassett death whose age matches up with an 1845 birth...Is there an yway he could have been in Stroud?, family connection etc...

Deaths Sep 1909 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BASSETT Thomas 64 Stroud 6a 187

Nicky

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 8 Sep 2011 00:15

Hi Nicky
The marriage cert for Ada says Thomas Bassett - Carpenter - for father.

That is the death record for Thomas's father. I have the death cert and no family as informant. This is what it says in Informant Column: Certificate received from George Danford Thomas Coroner for London Inquest held. He'd died from heart Failure and Disease of Heart and Valves.

I don't know of any family having been in Stroud. His father and grandfather came from Atherstone in Warwickshire.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 8 Sep 2011 04:24

Nicky
You got me thinking 'outside the box' as they say so I checked the 1911 Census on FMP and saw an Emma Bassett in Stroud age 60 b about 1851. This would be the right age. I thought I was on to something. I've just checked on Ancestry and have found the census image - disappointment this person was born in Horsley, Glos. and my Emma was born in Chelsea. So will have to keep looking.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 8 Sep 2011 05:22

In case anyone replies in the morning and wonder why I am not responding I'm hitting the sack now as it's past midnight here. Probably be about 11 am UK time before I get back on unless I can't sleep and do some night prowling. :-( :-( :-(

Ivy

Ivy Report 8 Sep 2011 06:26

Hi just wondered whether you have considered looking for Barrett as a misspelling/mistranscription for Bassett? No time to look today myself, sorry.

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Sep 2011 09:38

Name: Thomas Bassett
Record Type: Death
Estimated Death Date: 30 Apr 1891
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Parish or Poor Law Union: St Marylebone
Borough: Westminster
County: London

(from London Deaths and Burials Collection 1813 - 1980 Anc****Y)

Chris :)

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 8 Sep 2011 12:54

Many thanks to everyone who have replied.

Ivy - I have looked for Barrett also have done various wildcard searches but have had no luck with any of them.

Chris - I've had a look at that death. Not sure though as it appears to be a workhouse where he died and I have who I think is my Thomas living in a house as a lodger on the 1891 census which would have been taken just a few weeks before this death. But will keep it in mind.

Again many thanks.

PriscillaEmilywasMoonbeam Report 29 Apr 2013 21:18

I've been re-looking at the marriage record for Thomas Bassett and Emma Elsley and the birth certificate for Ada Jane Bassett (my grandmother) which gives her mother's name as Ellen Ensley. I've been accepting that this is a misprint/error in the mother's name but it seems strange that Emma Elsley has signed her name on the marriage cert, but the birth cert has “X – mark of” for mother's name.

I was wondering if anyone has come across this before. It does make me wonder if it is the same person.

Any ideas anyone?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 29 Apr 2013 22:45

Hi Moonbeam, I've just had a look at Thomas and Emma's marriage record and, to me, it looks suspiciously like their signatures are in the same hand - perhaps she didn't really sign the register herself?