Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Matthew Wyatt Armstrong,St Georges Hanover Square

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Ivor

Ivor Report 8 Oct 2011 20:24

Hello

I would sincerly appreciate assistance please.

I am looking for;

John Armstrong born 26/04/1790 St Georges Hanover Square
Matthew Wyatt Armstrong born 29/08/1791 Ditto
Matthew Robert Armstrong born 02/08/1798 Ditto

Parents John Armstrong of East Hagbourne and Ann Smith.of Oxford.

They also had 2 daughters Ann and Christian born 1787 and 1789.

I have located the daughters but cannot find any trace of the boys.

Thank you

Ivor

Flick

Flick Report 8 Oct 2011 20:54

One must assume that the first Matthew died young.................and that the second one was named after him

Ivor

Ivor Report 8 Oct 2011 21:20

Flick

Thank you

that is a fair assumption..

John had brothers called Matthew and Robert.

He was also in partnership with Jeffrey Wyatt.

Ivor

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Oct 2011 22:35

spouse: Ann Smith

groom's name: John Armstrong
bride's name: Ann Smith
marriage date: 01 Nov 1785
marriage place: Kidlington,Oxford,England
indexing project (batch) number: M03862-2
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 994085

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 8 Oct 2011 22:49

Husband
John Armstrong Pedigree
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wife
Ann Smith Armstrong Pedigree

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Children

1. Ann Armstrong Pedigree

Birth: About 1775 Of, East Hagbourne, Berkshire, England

2. Christian Armstrong Pedigree

Birth: About 1777 Of, East Hagbourne, Berkshire, England

Ivor

Ivor Report 8 Oct 2011 23:08

Ann of Green Gables

Thank you.

Yes this is the family

John Armstrong [Senior] died 11/02/1803.

His will say's "all my children" under 21 years but does not name them

Ivor

Ivor

Ivor Report 8 Oct 2011 23:13

Ann of Green Gables

The Dates of birth for the daughters of 1775 and 1777 is I believe wrongly recorded.

Marriage was in 1785.

Ivor

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 8 Oct 2011 23:29

Ivor

The way that the births are phrased on that last posting of Ann's indicates that it is guesswork!

Not wrongly recorded, but guessed at!

The names are taken from a Pedigree on familysearch, the Mormon site, and the words About 1777 are a dead giveaway that the person setting up the pedigree has guessed at a birthdate!

sylvia

Ivor

Ivor Report 9 Oct 2011 00:02

SylvialnCanada

Thank you

in 1797 John Armstrong senior was living at Conduit Street ,Bond Street London.

He is listed in the Hagbourne Parish register as being buried on the 24th February 1803,

He took on a partner in his building company in 1799 called Jeffrey Wyatt
who took the name Sir Jeffrey Wyattville after being Knighted by George VI and upon his death was interned in St Georges Chapel at Windsor Castle.

The family buisiness had recieved commisions from King George I,II,III and VI William the Vi and Queen Victoria

The building company was started by Thomas Phillips born 1716 taken on by his son John Phillips who died in 1775 and was passed onto the Armstrong family who were already part of the company.

The executors of his will Was The Reverand Matthew Armstrong his brother and Ann Armstrong his widow.

Ivor

Ivor

Ivor Report 9 Oct 2011 09:51

A little bit more information:

In the father John,s will dated 25th October 1798 it names a Mrs Con-borough,in occupation of St John's messauge in Sloane Street,parish of Chelsea.

Ivor

Sladefinder

Sladefinder Report 21 Jul 2019 14:11

In May this year I attended a history talk at my local church, St. Anne's in Oldland, South Glos. The talk (given by David) was about the history of the church and the churchyard. David mentioned a very prominent grave at the front of the church, in a very sacred part of the churchyard as it is in-line with the alter inside the church. The grave is unusual in that the little girl who is laid to rest there, was not local to the Oldland area. She was from Belgrave Cottage, Pimlico. I have recently found the burial details which state Christian was staying at St. Anne's Parsonage at the time she died.
I found this thread of yours regarding this family and I am hoping you are still active here?

I have tried to find out more about young Christian but have been unsuccessful so far and am hoping you might know more.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2019 15:09

Ancient thread

To try to contact Ivor, click on his name and send a message

Sladefinder

Sladefinder Report 21 Jul 2019 15:20

Thanks, I already have sent him a msg, but it looks like he's no longer active sadly :-(

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 21 Jul 2019 15:25

How long ago did you send the measge?

Don't expect instant reactions.......................not realistic