Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Query on maybe adoption or passed over to family

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

aimfire

aimfire Report 27 Jan 2012 12:17

I have a John Desmond Strickland in my Family Tree Born 1930 Ambleside Died Preston 2005. He married Irene Davidson.
Think he was born to Mary Jane Strickland 1904 and John Gregg 1910 But Mary Died in 1930 same year as John Desmond being born. Brother of Mary Jane Edward and Wife Mary I think took on the child and brought it up as a Strickland. Can someone help

Vera

Vera Report 27 Jan 2012 12:27

Births Mar 1930 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gregg John D ..........Strickland Kendal 10b 1043

Regards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 27 Jan 2012 12:28

Deaths Mar 1930 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gregg Mary J 25 Kendal 10b 903

Reards Vera

Vera

Vera Report 27 Jan 2012 12:33

This site could help...

http://www.ukbirth-adoptionregister.com/resources.php

Regards Vera

aimfire

aimfire Report 27 Jan 2012 12:35

THANKS VERA I HAVE THAT INFO WAS JUST HOPING FOR ANYTHING ON THE ADOPTION OR LIVING WITH UNCLE

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2012 12:49

Legal adoption came in force in 1926 but only the adoptee can access their file. As John has since died then I,m afraid his file is closed .

Maybe another family member has some info on him ie it was a family arrangement and he was or wasn't legally adopted

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2012 12:52

Who did he name as his father on his marriage cert. Would guess his adopted father ! Most probably he was taken over at birth so may not have known his birth family

aimfire

aimfire Report 27 Jan 2012 12:54

tHANKYOU SHIRLEY

JOHN'S DAUGHTER SAID HE WAS NEVER A STRICKLAND, ONLY A GREGG, BUT HER MAIDEN NAME IS STRICKLAND. AND AS SHE WAS BORN 1957 IT MAKES HER HIS DAUGHTER

aimfire

aimfire Report 27 Jan 2012 12:59

WILL LOOK INTO IT SHIRLEY, MAYBE HIS DAUGHTER WONT HELP ME BUT I WOULD LOVE TO PROVE A BLOOD LINE WITH HER AS HER MOTHER WAS MY GOD MOTHER, AND WE LOOK SO ALIKE

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 27 Jan 2012 13:16

Well if he was known as Strickland then that would be the name he went by for all records Ie marriage etc so his daughter would be registered as Strickland .

His name may or may not have been legally changed, You can call yourself any name as long as its not to defraud.

Follow your own line to see if theirs any connection ,would seem her mum being your god mother must have been close to the family

Mary

Mary Report 27 Jan 2012 14:15

It seems to be the same man as there weren't another one by the name of Strickland being born at the same time.

So his mum most likely died in childbirth and John Desmond was brought up by Edward Marshall Strickland and Mary Jane nee Dawson.
It looks as though they didn't have children of their own.

Is this John Greggs second marriage.

John Gregg born 1899 married Dec 1932 to mary ann messenger.
I think they had two daughter's.

Maryb.