Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

CLARKE CLARK HANCOCK Cambridgeshire 1770-1841

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Colin

Colin Report 3 Apr 2012 21:33

Please, just joined, and can't see any relevant previous posts by doing 'search' for surname or vicinity.

Is there anyone researching CLARKE CLARK HANCOCK around Cambridgeshire, especially Fulbourn, Lt and Gt Wilbraham, and vicinity in the 1770-1841 timeframe.

I have history to share, for same.

Thank you. :-)

Ivy

Ivy Report 3 Apr 2012 21:43

There is a tab at the top of this page called "search trees". If you enter: Clarke as the surname;
1750 +/- 50 years for the year of birth; and
Cambridgeshire for the place,
you will get a long list of results.

If you reorder these by placename, you can scan down the list for any in the area you are researching.

Also, on the left hand side of the page is a box showing other spelling variants that you could try.

(Hope that is what you were looking for...)

Derek

Derek Report 3 Apr 2012 21:50

Hello Colin..welcome to GR..........Ok this Board is for helping peeps like yourself to find information.......we are here to help.
The form is this.........you ask us to help,ideally with a specific question..name place and dates....approximate will do..and telling us what you are looking for.......no matter how obscure..someone will know the answer.......BUt you have to give us something to start with.
Clark/Clarke is one of the most common surnames..and "1700's and 1800's " is not much help

Here is a start........JOHN CLARKE Gt Wilbraham 12.08.1735 son of George and Hannah.

A couple of tips..NEVER click on the name of the person who has written to you..click on the purple reply button..write your message then click on the purple submit button.

There is another tip, if you are a long time away from your Thread...click on "MY THREADS"...and any thread you have started , or any thread you have contributed to..will be found.

This particular Board is very fast moving and your Thread will slip of the front page very quickly....

So "My Threads" is the quick way to find it.

All the best.

Derek.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Apr 2012 22:02

A small sample form the 1861 census

chard Clark abt 1802 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Head Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Robert Clark abt 1813 Gravesend, Kent, England Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Mary Clark abt 1823 Chesterford, Cambridgeshire, England Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Alfred Clark abt 1837 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Lodger Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Joseph Clark abt 1839 Hitchin, Hertfordshire, England Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Elizabeth Clark Richard abt 1843 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Daughter Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Harry Clark Richard abt 1853 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Son Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Maria Clarke abt 1836 Cambridge, Cambridgeshire, England Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Emma Clarke
[Emma Clark] abt 1846 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Servant Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Henry Clarke
[Henry Clark] abt 1848 Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire, England Lodger Fulbourn, Cambridgeshire

This should give you some idea of how important it is to be specific when posting requests for help

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Apr 2012 22:03

Also 1861

William Clark Mariah abt 1816 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Head Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Mariah Clark William abt 1817 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Wife Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Stephen Clark William,
Mariah abt 1852 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Son Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Frederick Clark William,
Mariah abt 1853 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Son Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
View Record
Edward Clark William,
Mariah abt 1856 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Son Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire
View Record
John Clark William,
Mariah abt 1859 Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire, England Son Great Wilbraham, Cambridgeshire

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2012 22:08

Am sure we had something similar before, involving the name Hancock too, but can't see the 'Thread', apologies if not, just familiar. think a Richard Clarke 1803 Fulbourn fits somewhere...

Chris :)

http://www.cfhs.org.uk/BaptismIndex/index.html

(above link for Cambridgeshire Baptisms and Burials 1801 - 1837)

A few Fulbourn Marriages and Burials, on Find My Past Parish collection, but not for Great and Little Wilbraham.

Colin

Colin Report 3 Apr 2012 22:49

Wow. Thank you, everyone, for your generous responses. I was trying to discover if there were folks actually researching the family I have an interest in.

@ Chris Ho. Yes, great memory. :-) Several years ago, you did give me a response about Hancock and Clarke but I think it was a different site.

Anyway, here's what I am stuck with.

According to Cambridgeshire Baptism Index 1801-1837 Fulbourn All Saints church records, a William Clark(e) and wife Mary had a daughter, Eliza, baptised in 1810. (There were other siblings before and after).

Similarly, I found the marriage of William and Mary (Hancock) for Sep 15, 1800 at the same church. And I see William's burial JUn 23 1834 (aged 57).

But I have never been able to find William's baptism and his parents. I did find one William for about the right time 1777 +/-, but the child was buried in the next year.

Such a long winded way of getting to this:

Where was William Clark(e) born? And his parents?

I've been at this Clarke brick wall since 1979. In recent times, I have found a lot, and last year, I did all the possible DNA tests hoping that would help - so far, not enough data is in from families connected to the area, although I do have some strong hints for a later NPE.

Anyway, right now, what about this William Clark(e) fellow !

Thanks again, everyone. If my Platinum membership cost gets me a leg-up on the Clarke family, I will have spent my money wisely (and such a lot of money !) :-D

Thank you !

Chris Ho :) Report 3 Apr 2012 22:58

Aah, Colin, thought it was familiar, must have been on GR here, I don't go anywhere else, lol. What happened to your 'Thread', can see your long plight by 'googling', remember you saying it had been a lot of years.

edits (you might be able to see the Parish Records on GR)

Colin

Colin Report 3 Apr 2012 23:39

Thanks, Chris. Yes, I think you even told me at the time that you had just arrived back from Cambridge !!

I do have the Parish Records on CD from the CFHS. Perhaps there is more info here - the CD is sparse ...

Colin

PS Must have been GR then ... that era was in the Dark Ages of the (a) volunteer custodian of the Forums who made it pure hell for all newbies. I'm assured this is the Renaissance, and the Golden Age. <3

Derek

Derek Report 4 Apr 2012 13:37

Colin.....possible....WILLIAM CLARK(E) 07.05.1778 Little Wlbraham..son of Wlliam and Mary..?

Derek.

safc

safc Report 4 Apr 2012 13:59

County Cambridgeshire
Place Cheveley
Church St Mary and the Holy Host of Heaven
RegisterNumber
DateOfBirth
BaptismDate 20 Jul 1777
Forename William
Sex M
FatherForename John
MotherForename Ann
FatherSurname CLARKE
MotherSurname
Abode
FatherOccupation
Notes
FileNumber 25320

Colin

Colin Report 4 Apr 2012 14:28

Thanks, Derek.

I think this one :

name: William Clark
baptism/christening date: 09 May 1778
baptism/christening place: LITTLE WILBRAHAM,CAMBRIDGE,ENGLAND
father's name: William Clark
mother's name: Mary
indexing project (batch) number: J13841-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 990398

is the child that died the same year. I can't find the reference for the burial just now - some kind soul PM'd a parish transcript and of course my filing system (?) has let me down. But I still think that Lt or Gt Wilbraham is a very likely location ...

Colin

Colin Report 4 Apr 2012 14:58

Many thanks, SAFC.

I had this one also:

name: William Clarke
baptism/christening date: 20 Jul 1777
baptism/christening place: CHEVELEY,CAMBRIDGE,ENGLAND
father's name: John Clarke
mother's name: Ann
indexing project (batch) number: J13805-1
system origin: England-ODM
source film number: 1040453

I have no other info on that family. It does strike me as a bit further afield (for the 1770s) than Fulbourn (where William and wife Mary married and raised the family).

However, one of the facts that has helped me over time is that I have found the Clarke family to follow the naming conventions quite strictly (then), and it may be relevant that William and Mary named their children in order:
John 1801-1801
Richard 1803 (after wife's father??)
John 1805
Mary 1807
Eliza 1810
William 1812
Hannah 1817
George 1821

My GGGM Eliza (above) named her two NPE boys Richard (my GGF) and Alfred.

My GGF Richard named his children in order:

Alfred (his brother, in lieu of a father's name I guess)
Mary
Eliza
Andrew (after wife's father)
Catherine (after wife's mother)
John
Richard (my GF)

and my GF Richard also got in the mood with a Percy Richard, Andrew, George, William, Mavis and Nellie. I can find all these more recent names a generation back somewhere in the tree.

The upshot of all this, maybe ..., is that William or John are 'front runners' in the name for William Clark's b c1777 father, and Mary is a good fit for the mother.

But ... which ones !!

The 'red herring' is that after having all my DNA tests, the strongest match (but not conclusive) is for surname BARTON which 'may' point to my NPE resolution for the father of G GF Richard Clarke b1831. There are some Bartons around the area - even a village I see. However, that has nothing to do with William Clarke and where he was born or his parents.

I'm trying to jump over, walk around, dig under, or demolish the now 33 year long brick wall.

:-)

edits: grammar

Colin

Colin Report 4 Apr 2012 16:16

" ....no matter how obscure..someone will know the answer.... "

This is why I joined GR. :-D

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2012 16:28

If you are looking for connections on here, use the search trees function

Colin

Colin Report 4 Apr 2012 21:34

@Reggie.

Wilco.

Colin

Colin Report 6 Apr 2012 16:05

Question:

If the 'rules' say I can't post another thread about the same person, (I understand the reasoning why I shouldn't) and this present thread is considered too 'wide' or all encompassing, how do I narrow down the topic without offending the powers that be? Can I change the Thread title, for one thing?

Another example; if I want to be specific about Richard CLARKE, and then I want to know about Richard Clarke's grandmother, Mary HANCOCK, and Richard's brother's wife, Ellen MORLEY, and the BARTON family, and FULBOURN village and BARTON village, etc, do they all have to be in this thread because they are about the SAME research? If so, won't these various winding roads lead to 'off topic' comments, that is, off the original topic but relevant still.

Just wondering.

I haven't posted any new threads yet, but the warnings at "Please Read..." and "Beginners ..." are somewhat dire.

Cheers

(Maybe asking this question here is off topic?. I'm feeling that I paid my Platinum fee plus, and now I'm leery about posting any genuine inquiries for fear of being 'flamed'.)

... holds breath and submits ....

Colin

Colin Report 6 Apr 2012 22:39

Looking for a little help please.

Cambridgeshire/Fulbourn.

From Parish Records, and the 1841 and 1851 census, I find a Richard Clark of Fulbourn who is married to Frances ? and they have 5 children - George, Elizabeth, Lawrence and Rebecca and Emma (1841).

Richard Clark b c1803, and Frances ? b c 1812.

I can't see the wife, Frances, at the 1861 census.

Richard is shown as a widower, with dau Elizabeth still at home, and son Larry/Harry ? aged 8, but I can't find her in the deaths/burials pre 1861. If the Larry/Harry was born c1853, I presume Frances died as a result of, or after that event.

Can any kind person see the burial/death for Frances Clark, nee Unk.

Chris Ho :) Report 7 Apr 2012 07:50

Deaths Mar 1857 (>99%)
-----------------------------------------------------
Clarke Frances Chesterton 3b 298

(could be the above, The Parish Records collection aren't complete of all Parishes, so might be why you can't see a Burial?, the below is on there though, might be more info. on your Fulbourn cd)

Year:1832
Supplied Surname:WEBB
Surname:WEBB
Full First name:Fran
Supplied First Name:Fran
Spouse Surname:CLARK
Spouse Full First name:Richard
Spouse First Name:Ric
Place:FULBOURN ALL SAINTS
County:Cambridgeshire
Record source:Boyd's Marriage Index 1538-1840

CLARK, Richard Head Widower M 59 1802 Agricultural Labourer
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
CLARK, Elizabeth Daughter Unmarried F 18 1843 Servant
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
CLARK, Harry Son M 8 1853 Scholar
Fulbourn
Cambridgeshire
Piece:
1020 Folio:
23 Page:
6 Registration District:
Chesterton
Civil Parish:
Fulbourn Municipal Borough:
Address:
25, Hay Street, Fulbourn County:
Cambridgeshire

Colin

Colin Report 7 Apr 2012 11:11

Thanks, Chris. :-)

I looked through the All Saints Fulbourn CD again, this time at Banns, and yes, I found Richard CLARK and Frances WEBB for Mar 11, 1833. Don't know why I missed it before ... so I'm thinking this is the family. Both single, of this parish.

Still in the dark about William CLARK b. c 1777, the father of Eliza. I've sent contact emails to some, from GR Trees, but mostly no replies yet. Here's hoping ...

Cheers.

Colin