Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Stephen R & Elizabeth A Jewell

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mandy

Mandy Report 17 Jun 2012 19:21

Hello, I am trying to fill in a gap in the life of my relative Stephen Richard Jewell born 1871 in Stoke Damerel (now Devonport) Devon, and his sister Elizabeth A Jewell, born 1867. Their parents Thomas Paul and Elizabeth Jewell both died in 1880, aged 45 and 40 respectively, in Stoke Damerel, and Stephen and Elizabeth ended up in Stoke Damerel Workhouse, where they appear on the 1881 Census. Stephen married Bessie Jane Dymond in 1893 in Stoke Damerel, they appear on the 1901 Census, and I have all later details, but I don't know what happened to Stephen between leaving the workhouse and getting married, and I can't find any further information at all on Elizabeth. Any ideas or further information gratefully received. Thank you for your time.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Jun 2012 19:27

Hello Mandy, do you have an address for Stephen from the marriage certificate? And what was his occupation?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Jun 2012 19:30

???

England & Wales, FreeBMD Marriage Index: 1837-1915
Name: Elizabeth Jewell
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1887
Registration district: Stoke Damerel
Inferred County: Devonshire
Volume Number: 5b
Page Number: 663

Some of the grooms names are missing ...

There's a James Burns and a William Clarke but another still to find

Mandy

Mandy Report 17 Jun 2012 20:04

I don't have the marriage certificate, but his address from the 1901 Census is 4 York Street Devonport, and his occupation is Mason's Labourer. Would the marriage cert shed any light on where he was before he got married?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 17 Jun 2012 20:11

I couldn't say for definite if it would say where he'd been. We could hope for clues from the names of the witnesses and the address he was living at the time (providing it gave a full address).