Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Asking for help on the boards

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2012 22:22

Before you hit the submit button please read through the information and make sure it is accurate

Please explain what help you want such as finding a marriage, birth or death or a family missing on a census etc

Depending on what help you want some of the following info would be useful as it saves the helpers keep asking questions:

1. Have you put the correct date and place of birth or year of marriage etc.

2. Do you have a birth or marriage cert – some details would be useful.

3. Have you found the family on any census and if mistranscribed please give the details.

4. If you have only found the family on one census then please post the details as it saves the members searching for it and then having to post it on the thread for other helpers to see.

Not all those bits of information are required so just include what will help with your request.

Please do not say looking for “any information” on Joe Bloggs as you must have arrived at his name some how.

Remember you have information in front of you that the helpers can not see so do not be surprised when information is posted on your thread that you already have. It is posted by one helper to confirm we are on the right track and to help anyone else looking at your request.

Try and stay online for a short time as you can then answers questions.

Helpers on the boards are individuals, not employed by GR, who use their own paid subscriptions to help others so a thank you would always be appreciated.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 4 Jul 2012 22:29

.. and do please check the information you're posting for typos, spelling mistakes, errors on dates, etc.

It's so frustrating searching for non-existent records to then be told "Oh sorry, he was called Ken not Ben"

and don't believe that the info given by elderly relatives is 100% reliable, we deal in facts not hearsay!

(These threads have been done to death over the years but it's good to have a "humph")

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 4 Jul 2012 22:34

Agree all of this has been mentioned so many times before but I felt a reminder was due.

Sometimes you look at a thread and think have they pulled a name out of a hat as they have no information at all.

The helpers do sometimes work miracles with so little information given to them

Gee

Gee Report 4 Jul 2012 22:52

More likely she was called Arthur not Martha ;-)

Good reminder GB

Cherilyn

Cherilyn Report 5 Jul 2012 02:04

Lol MC & Gins! :-D

I need a like button for this one, Glitterbaby!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jul 2012 04:22

good idea GB

Alan

Alan Report 5 Jul 2012 08:52

Everything you say is absolutely correct. Problem is that the majority of people reading this are the more experienced researchers

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 5 Jul 2012 20:02

this should be stickied at the top of the Board

Until then ................. let's keep it at the top :-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 6 Jul 2012 12:05

If only one member reads this and posts a clear request for help it will be worth it.

Might be able to put away my crystal ball ;-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 6 Jul 2012 19:26

Well, I've put this in my "watched threads" and if ever someone needs guidance on how to proceed then I'll give them the link to this thread.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Jul 2012 04:55

:-) :-)

Joy

Joy Report 12 Jul 2012 13:12

"If only one member reads this and posts a clear request for help it will be worth it."

:)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 12 Jul 2012 20:36

:-) :-) :-) :-) :-)

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 15 Jul 2012 11:57

Shame as members are missing out if they do not include the right sort of info in their request or stay online to answer the questions.

:-D

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 22 Jul 2012 16:56

If the helpers ask a question then please answer it as the information could be the one snippet thats help with your request.

Please do not ignore the questions :-|

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Jul 2012 00:41

:-) :-) :-)

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 27 Oct 2012 04:04

it does indeed!

:-) :-)

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 27 Oct 2012 10:34

Could I also ask that posters read through their requests and ask themselves:

'If I was reading this as a stranger, would I know what it was about?'

Ru

Ru Report 27 Oct 2012 12:15

Well done Glitterbaby - this is so good.

May I suggest that all helpers finding a thread without the necessary information could refer the thread holder to the BASICS ABSOLUTE NECESSITY FOR BEGINNERS PLEASE READ before offering information. At least they are then being made responsible for what they request on a thread. That way you can save on research that is unnecessary.

This is great thinking.

Sappho

wisechild

wisechild Report 27 Oct 2012 12:54

Completely agree with every word.
Problem is that it´s so easy for people to assume that you know as much about their ancestors as they do, especially when they first start out.
I´ve been known to do it myself when talking to people about my family & seen the glazed look in their eyes.