Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Annie Eva Cooper.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mark

Mark Report 21 Oct 2012 15:20

Hello, I've posted on here recently - and received some positive replies - so I thought I'd push my luck and try another allusive ancestor - Annie Eva Cooper :-)

On my Nan's birth certificate - Doris Eva Cynthia Hatton - it has Annie Eva Cooper entered as her mother - and Henry Hatton entered as her father. This was back in 1918 - so I would imagine having a child born out of marriage in this time was unusual?

Annie was born around 1889 - Henry around 1881. I found out from my Dad that Henry's Father - John Hatton - gave Henry an ultimatum: have nothing to do with Annie - or be disowned from the family business. Henry's Father was a Timber merchant in Wales. Henry decided to go against his Father's wishes and continue his relationship with Annie. Henry ended up becoming a Butcher...

My Nan had the maiden name of Hatton. I cannot find any reference to a marriage between Annie and Henry - but have found an entry in an electoral register saying that Annie Hatton lived in Kenwyn Road, Clapham, in the mid 1950's (this was actually the house I lived in when I was born :-)) So I'm left wondering whether there was a marriage - or whether Annie just took Henry's surname.

I have found two Annie Cooper's born around 1889: one in Hammersmith - the other in Brixton. Since my Nan's first address was in Hammersmith (St. Peters Square) I'm taking a shot that it's the Hammersmith born Annie I should be concentrating on.

So, does anyone else know of a Annie Cooper that, through marriage to Henry, became Annie Hatton?

Any info received will once again be greatly appreciated - thanks :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 15:28

Hi Mark - children born out of wedlock was NOT unusual back then, our ancestors weren't as staid as you'd think ;-) Your nan would have had the name of Hatton as Henry had acknowledged her as his daughter.

Co-habiting was also very likely so it's quite possible that Henry never married Annie.

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 15:37

Do you know when and where Annie and Henry died? Their death records might be useful to work back from.

Where was Henry born? (Will look to see if there were any service records for him, often gives spouse & children).

EDIT: I see from what must be your tree on Ancestry that Henry's middle name was Vernon

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 15:43

Is this the right Henry in 1911? (It's what is also attached to the Ancestry tree)

HATTON, Henry Vernon Head Married M 23 1888 Butcher Trealaw Glamorganshire
HATTON, Catherine Wife Married F 30 1881 Trealaw Glamorganshire

RG number: RG14 Piece: 32422
Reference: RG14PN32422 RG78PN1854 RD590 SD1 ED21 SN136
Registration District: Merthyr Tydfil
Sub District: Gelligaer
Enumeration District: 21
Parish: Gelligaer

Address: 2 Brynavon Terrace Hengoed County: Glamorganshire

If so, what happened to Catherine?
The original image claims they'd been married two years.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2012 15:45

They definitely weren't married at the time of Doris's birth as her birth was registered in her father's name and also her mother's name:-

Name: COOPER, Doris E C
Registration district: Hammersmith
County: London
Year of registration: 1919
Quarter of registration: Jan-Feb-Mar
Mother's maiden name: Cooper
Volume no: 1A
Page no: 257

and:-

Name: HATTON, Doris E C
Registration district: Hammersmith
County: London
Year of registration: 1919
Mother's maiden name: Cooper
Volume no: 1A
Page no: 257

I can't see a marriage for the parents so I would guess that they just lived together as man and wife - which happened a lot in the first half of the last century.

As MarieCeleste has already stated - it certainly wasn't unusual for children to be born out of wedlock in those days - it just wasn't talked about in the way it is today.

Kath. x

Mark

Mark Report 21 Oct 2012 15:50

Oh right - thanks.Good to see things haven't changed then :-)

Annie - and her family - are proving to quite allusive. It makes me wish I took an interest in my Nan's family when she was alive - I'll get there though... :-)

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 15:51

If that 1911 is correct then this may be why he didn't marry Annie Eva:

Surname First name(s) District Vol Page
Marriages Mar 1909
HATTON Henry Vernon Pontypridd 11a 757
JAMES Catherine Pontypridd 11a 757

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 15:57

I think this *might* be the probate for the Catherine Hatton on the 1911:

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1966
Name: Catherine Hatton
Probate Date: 7 Mar 1963
Death Date: 15 Feb 1963
Death Place: Glamorgan, Wales
Registry: Llandaff

Widow, of 100 Patridge Road, Llwynpia. Died the Craig Hospital, Pontypridd. Admin to William John Hatton, bus driver. Effects £625

Relates to this death:

England & Wales, Death Index: 1916-2006
Name: Catherine Hatton
Birth Date: abt 1881
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1963
Age at Death: 82
Registration district: Pontypridd
Inferred County: Glamorganshire
Volume: 8b
Page: 722

Mark

Mark Report 21 Oct 2012 15:58

Yep, the info you've both given is what I have so far - but thanks for posting.

You've both kinda confirmed for me there was no marriage - and that Annie just took Henry's surname.

I'd like to know what happened to Henry's first wife too; perhaps she refused him a divorce - so he couldn't marry Annie..?

Thanks for your time KathleenBell and MarieCeleste :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2012 15:59

Possible death for Catherine:-

Name: HATTON, Catherine
County: Glamorganshire
Year of registration: 1963
Age at death: 82
Volume no: 8B
Page no: 722

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 16:01

There was a William John Hatton born 1911, registered Pontypridd, mother's maiden name James.

If that 1911 census and the 1909 marriage are correct then Henry Hatton was probably never free to marry Annie Eva.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2012 16:01

This looks like the birth of William John Hatton:-

Name: HATTON, William J
County: Glamorganshire
Year of registration: 1911
Quarter of registration: Oct-Nov-Dec
Mother's maiden name: James
Volume no: 11A
Page no: 1436

Kath. x

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2012 16:10

I wonder if your Nan, Doris, ever knew that she had a half brother from her father's marriage to Catherine?

Kath. x

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 21 Oct 2012 16:25

After that 1911 birth there are 8 Hatton/James births in Bridgend up to 1934 - I'm guessing (hoping!) that it's different parents.

Mark

Mark Report 21 Oct 2012 17:03

Blimey, there's some stuff there I wasn't aware of. I took a brief interest in the Hatton family - so I had no idea that my Nan may have had a half Brother....maybe she didn't know..?

Thanks ladies :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 21 Oct 2012 19:39

There is a Hatton/James marriage in Bridgend in 1913 but not Annie and Henry so I would think those other births are to that couple.

Kath. x