Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hutton poplars residential school Brentwood

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Wendy

Wendy Report 24 Oct 2012 16:36

can any one help, im trying to find out a bit more about my dads childhood he talked about a childrens home in brentwood with a swimming pool, is there a list of residents? he was born in 1924 so would have been there in the 20s or 30s, he was from a very large family and i think only him and one sister were sent there.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 24 Oct 2012 16:38

Leisure and Culture - Places to Visit - Poplars Hall...
Poplars Hall. Rayleigh Road, Hutton. Poplars Hall is an imposing red brick building, built originally in 1906 as the dining hall for a residential home and school for ...
www.brentwood.gov.uk/index.php?cid=397 - Cached

Hutton Residential School - | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Known as the Hutton Residential School, and used by The London ... Near Brentwood Essex. Location TQ 631/950. For more ... by Peter Higginbotham. workhouses.org.uk/Poplar ...
www.flickr.com/photos/22326055@N06/?4391400661 - Cached
More results from flickr.com »
Poplars Hall Hutton Essex by Mike Shinners
Poplars Hall Hutton Brentwood Essex ... 1906 as the dining hall for Hutton Poplars residential home. Hutton Poplars was built by George Lansbury and was a Training School ...
panorama.org.uk/countries/england/essex/?poplars.html - Cached

The National Archives | Access to Archives
Hutton Poplars Residential School: Related information: For related material please ... and another staff member outside the baths at Hutton Poplars Residential School.
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/a2a/?records.aspx?cat=084-ds... - Cached
More results from nationalarchives.gov.uk »

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Oct 2012 16:39

Plenty on google about the place - including
Whit Monday was traditionally a reunion day when former residents were encouraged to visit for the annual open fete day. A reunion still takes place in the Essex dining hall on Whit Monday every year. Centenary celebrations took place in 2006. Former residents or anyone with connections to Hutton Poplars are most welcome at the annual event.

jax

jax Report 25 Oct 2012 02:05

The main front building was still there when I lived in Hutton about 15 years ago most of the grounds were sold off to build big detached houses, I seem to remember walking my daughter around these houses in her buggy and just wishing we could afford one

caroline

caroline Report 11 Nov 2015 12:35

can anyone help. I lived at this establishment house K10 (diabetics) 1952- 1953

caroline

caroline Report 11 Nov 2015 12:37

the above refers to my wife , I am David Hendon and live there 1952-1953 and came from Birmingham. perhaps some body remembers

Jacques

Jacques Report 13 Sep 2020 11:00

I would be grateful for any information about Hutton residential school as it was known when I was there 1954/1957 I was in neath house I remember that the housekeeper had a dog the only name I can remember for that period was a boy who was believe was called jimmy duggan who came with me on a weekend visit to my mothers home my name at that time was David O’Sullivan prior to being placed in Hutton I spent a short period at Langley house east India dock road east London any information about this period would be welcome

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 13 Sep 2020 11:18

Welcome to the boards, Jacques.

I assume you have Googled the name of the school?
Lots of results come up, including those already posted on this thread.

Is there anything in particular that you're hoping to find out, apart from what's available online?

Perhaps you could try adding a message to the many on the forum at this link below:

https://tinyurl.com/yymupnw3

EDIT:
Oh, I see you have already done that, early this year.