Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

come to a standstill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

veronica

veronica Report 30 Dec 2012 19:17

hi every1 can any one help me with this search as i have hit a brick wall! i am trying to find anything to do with my great grandmother! here is what i have so far, my great grand mother on my mothers side (maiden name Moore, married twice first i think to ........Audley and then to ...........Scott . Scott is the maiden name of my grandmother who's married name was Gifford. therefor my mothers maiden name is Gifford and her married name is Lee,here's where i get confused and hit brick walls. my mother had 3 sisters and 4 brothers, one of her sisters (Christine) married (V......Audley) whose father was the son of my great grandmother!!!!!!!!! so does this mean that my grand mother and his father were half brother and sister???? I don't know the first name of my great grand mother and can't seem to find a birth, or marriage to any of here 2 husbands ( Audley and Scott) all my known relatives were as far as I'm aware born in the Aston Warwickshire area. any help would be much appreciated. where else do i look??? kind regards Ronnie (Veronica) :-S

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Dec 2012 19:22

welcome to the boards - now we have to have some dates here

can we have the full name of your gt grandmother and her dob

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2012 19:23

Sorry, but I find your post rather confusing.
Can you just give us the full name, date of marriage and death (if known) of your grandmother, and places, and husband- just to get us started.

Added:
This one?
Winifred Scott
Spouse Surname: Gifford
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1935
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume Number: 6d
Page Number: 1371
George Gifford Scott Oct-Nov-Dec 1935 Birmingham Warwickshire

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Dec 2012 19:24

it is very confusing indeed

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Dec 2012 19:25

is this a connection?

Christina Audley
England and Wales Census, 1911
birth: London Cb,? London
census: 1911 Birmingham,? Birmingham,? Warwickshire,? England

name: Christina Audley
event: Census
event date: 1911
birthplace: London Cb, London
record type: Household
registration district: Birmingham
sub-district: St George
parish: Birmingham
county: Warwickshire

Beverley

Beverley Report 30 Dec 2012 19:26

Providing that the Audley your g-g-grandmother married firstly is the same Audley who is your uncle-by-marriage's g-grandfather (which you can't prove as yet because you don't know the names), your grandmother and your uncle-by-marriage's father would be half-cousins.

I would start looking at the FreeBMD website to find marriages and dates and names, and the get the certificates to start proving things. Good luck!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 30 Dec 2012 19:27

I've asked poster to return with some more definitive information

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 19:33

IS this your Grandmother's birth please?

Births Dec 1916
Scott Winnie Moore Birmingham 6d 433

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 19:35

???

Marriages Jun 1914 (
Audley Christina Scott W.Bromwich 6b 1841
Scott Patrick Audley W.Bromwich 6b 1841

???

Marriages Dec 1910
Andley George H Birmingham 6d 230
Audley George H Birmingham 6d 230 <<<<<<<<<
Crossley Clement Birmingham 6d 230
Moore Christina Birmingham 6d 230 <<<<<<<<<<<<<

Deaths Dec 1913
Audley George H 23 Birmingham 6d 326

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 19:43

Perhaps not that 1910 marriage as this is the closest I can see at the moment in 1911

Name: Christina Audley
[Christina Allen]
Age in 1911: 20
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1891
Relation to Head: Daughter
Birth Place: London, Birmingham, United Kingdom
Civil parish: Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire
Street Address: 85 Cecil Street
Marital Status: Married
Registration District Number: 384
Sub-registration district: St George
ED, institution, or vessel: 37
Piece: 18097
Household Members: Name Age
Emma Allen 40
William Allen 24
Annie Allen 22
Montague Allen 10
Hubert Allen 7
Christina Audley 20 Married 1 year
Harry Audley 21 (? George Henry?), son-in-law

Emma is widowed but she had entered married 25 years, 10 children 8 living 2 had died. Looking at the ages of the children, I wonder if it is a second marriage for Emma?

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 20:03

???

Name: Christina Moore
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1892
Relation: Inmate
Where born: London, England

Civil parish: Aston Manor
Ecclesiastical parish: Lozells St Silas

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image

Registration district: Aston
Sub-registration district: Aston Manor
ED, institution, or vessel: St Marys Convent and St Josephs Schools and The House of Mercy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 1
Piece: 2882
Folio: 169
Page Number: 5

Also there

Name: Annie Moore
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1890

Name: Nellie Moore
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Where born: Birmingham

Name: Nellie Moore
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1897
Where born: Birmingham

Name: Jessie Moore
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1894

veronica

veronica Report 30 Dec 2012 20:19

hi yes i know it is most confusing lets start with me
(veronica lee born 1957)
my mother
(veronica Pamela born 1940) maiden name Gifford
.my grand mother
(winnie (winifred)Scott born 1916) married name gifford.
my great grand mother
i only new as granny scott her maiden name was moore.i think her birth would be around 1880-85 because as i said i know she married twice to audley first i think then scott, i say this because her son by audley (patrick b) was born in 1913, 2 years before his half sister (my grandmother Winnie scott (gifford.)
patrick b is the father of victor audley who was married to my mother sister christine audley (gifford) born in1944. i know that names were abbreviated in those times as i found my grand mothers death records and marriage records but these gave her name as winifred!! marriage to George Gifford 1935( 6D 1371..) winnie died in 1975 ( 32 0760 ) i just cant seem to find anything on my great grandmother. what ever try to match her up with anybody the dates don't seem to add up. whether that is to do with names been abbreviated or dates not being registered correctly i don't know?? p s hope some of this helps, because i'm just as confused. many thanks

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 20:27

Name: Christina Ann Maud Moore
Record Type: Baptism
Baptism Date: 5 Jul 1891
Father's Name: Benjamin James Moore
Mother's Name: Mary Ann Moore
Parish or Poor Law Union: Camberwell St George
Borough: Southwark
Register Type: Parish Registers

Also baptised same day Rose Emma Moore - same parents

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 20:34

Veronica, I have posted the two marriages above.

Christina Moore married George H Audley in 1910. His death was registered in December quarter 1913. She married Patrick Scott in 1914.

Her son from her first marriage?

Births Dec 1913
Audley Patrick B Moore Birmingham 6d 478

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 20:59

Name: Patrick Bernard Audley
Birth Date: 23 Sep 1913
Date of Registration: Jul-Aug-Sep 1976
Age at Death: 63
Inferred County: West Midlands
Volume: 32
Page: 0254

His son is the Grandson of Christina Moore/ Audley/ Scott.

Your Aunt is the Granddaughter of Christina Moore/ Audley/ Scott

The common ancestor of the Gifford / Audley marriage is a grandmother i.e. Christina. They are therefore first cousins as her mother was Christina's daughter and his father was Christina's son although they had different fathers. Your grandmother and Patrick were half brother and sister - same mother, different fathers.

patchem

patchem Report 30 Dec 2012 21:00

I have copied over:

'my great grand mother
i only new as granny scott her maiden name was moore.i think her birth would be around 1880-85 because as i said i know she married twice to audley first i think then scott,'

Have you got either of her marriage certificates as these may give her age at marriage, and her Father's name, and addresses, and occupations?

If you have not got these, you should apply for them, to help you to confirm (hopefully) what rootgatherer has found.

Added:
Is this her death?
Christina Scott
Birth Date: 16 Jul 1891
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1973
Age at Death: 81
Inferred County: Warwickshire
Volume: 9c
Page: 797

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 30 Dec 2012 21:11

I agree Patchem. Certificates are the way to go. That way a lot of confusion can be avoided!

To go further back with CHristina and find her parents at least one of her marriage certificates is needed to find a name for her father at least.

veronica

veronica Report 30 Dec 2012 21:54

thanks guys i will look into some of these as they seem to fit, i had looked into some of the names you have put but because i didn't know anything other than what i told you of my great grandmother i abandoned them because none of the dates seemed to fit. i know this is going to sound a bit dumb but i'm not very up on how you get some of these things, how do i get certificates and how do i know they are the right one's? can you look at these? thanks to you all for taking the time to help. best regards ronnie :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 31 Dec 2012 04:05

Normally, I would say order BMD.certs thru the GRO:
http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/
You can order them online with a credit card - the cost is 9.25 GBP (post incl).
You will be mailed a paper copy.

One can also order BMD.certs thru the local office where they occurred (or whoever has those regos now allowing for redistricting):
http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html

Birmingham is the one local office I would prefer over the GRO. Their website:
http://www.birmingham.gov.uk/cs/Satellite/certificate?packedargs=website=4&rendermode=live
says "Where ever possible for family tree research, we will provide a digital scan of the original register entry. This means that you get an exact copy of the original registration and your ancestors signature or mark."

A birth/death cert is signed by the informant. A marr cert is signed by the couple, and usually 2 witnesses.
However, their signatures will only be on rego office marrs, or non-conformist marrs where there was no approved keeper of official rego's in the church so the registrar would have to attend and they would sign his official marr rego.
(There were no approved non-conformist keepers of official rego's pre-1898 except jews and quakers.)
The original signatures on C of E marrs will be in the church rego's that are usually lodged in some local archive, like the county records office.
Some of these have been transcribed and/or scanned, so (maybe partial) transcriptions/images may be found online.

I think Birmingham transcriptions would only be via:
https://familysearch.org/search/collection/list#page=1®ion=UNITED_KINGDOM_IRELAND

For completeness, note one can also buy an m.cert from the church where it occurred, but only if it's recent enough to be in their current rego, as the older, full ones are deposited in some archive.

NB Scotlandspeople routinely scan the local rego.
On a personal note, my ggg grandad was born in Aberdeenshire in the 18th cent, so I'm quite chuffed to have his signature imaged from when he rego'ed his grandaur's 1862 birth.