Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william dodge/jones

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Dec 2012 14:38

can anyone help me plz
looking for a william dodge /jones born about 1900 ireland joined the navy not sure when father william dodge was a missionary in grimbsy mother died when he was 3 mothers maiden name jones

patchem

patchem Report 31 Dec 2012 15:28

Have you found him on the 1901 and 1911 censuses?
Do you know when William Dodge, senior, was a missionary in Grimsby (I am assuming you mean Grimsby, Humberside - do you mean somewhere else?)?
How did you get back to him?
Sorry about the extra questions

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Dec 2012 15:53

Not seeing a William Dodge born c1900 in Ireland ....... (or anywhere)

Astra

Astra Report 31 Dec 2012 16:01

There is a Dodge family in Grimsby in 1911 but not a William. Father Edwin is a naval pensioner and son is George Edwin born 1905. Mother is still alive.

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Dec 2012 16:07

grimbsy humberside yes i got the info from an aunt i can find him anywhere on any census not sure when he came to uk he married a annie breward in 1924 leicester she was from cosby born 1905 william dodge change his name to jones when i dont know

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 16:40

There's this Edwin, on the Ireland census:

Residents of a house 15 in Emlagh West (Dingle, Kerry)
Show all informationSurname Forename Age Sex Relation to head Religion Birthplace Occupation Literacy Irish Language Marital Status Specified Illnesses
Dodge Edwin 34 Male Head of Family Salvation Armey East Coker, Somerset Coast Guard Read and write English Widower -

Wonder, as his religion is Salvation Army, and occ Coast Guard whether this is the Edwin Astra found in 1911?? Could have re-married.

But this doesn't tie in with Sarah's info - maybe you need to go back and talk to the aunt again.

Actually, thinking more about it you may have got the father's name wrong and as William's mother died when he was so young he may have been farmed out with other family members - I'll take another look at the Ireland census.

No, not finding anything - tried looking under Jones as well just in case that was his mother's maiden name & he was with grandparents.

Astra

Astra Report 31 Dec 2012 16:50

I think the marriage certificate is needed as it will give you his correct age and his father's name and occupation (that all depends of course on whether he knew his father).
It is the only way forward.

You can order it online through the GRO for £9.25

Marriages Jun 1924 (>99%)
Jones William A Breward Leicester 7a 620

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 17:03

Hi Astra,

Can you post up the census you've found please I don't seen to be able to find it. I've got Edwin in a seaman's hostel, on the image it says married 10 years, 6 children - 2 of which have died - but no family with him. He's the caretaker and naval pensioner. It also states born East Collie, Somerset which is too much different from the East Coker on the Irish census.

Cheers

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 17:21

Forget that last request, I've got it now. She also states married 10 years (in brackets this marriage) but just 2 children (both alive), but husband was not present on night of census. Also, her first child Lilian Clara Louise (8) was born Co Kerry, Ireland.

Wonder if he referred to his total children, ie 6 in total which may include 4 from the previous marriage and 2 of them have died?

I agree with Astra, the marriage certificate is a must, but it does start to point to this being connected with the info the aunt provided - even if the father's name was wrong.

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 17:38

Just checked RootsIreland.ie - the Co Kerry records are not on-line. So we wouldn't find a birth for William or any other records for them over in Ireland.

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 17:55

George Edwin A Dodge
Age in 1911: 6
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1905
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Bradford, Yorkshire, England
Civil parish: Cleethorpes
County/Island: Lincolnshire
Street Address: 15 Daubney St New Clleethorpes Grimsby
Registration district: Grimsby
Registration District Number: 422
Sub-registration district: Great Grimsby
ED, institution, or vessel: 34
Piece: 19984
Household Members: Name Age
Annie Lauisa Dodge 42
Lilian Clara Louisa Dodge 8
George Edwin A Dodge 6

Marriages Jun 1901 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Atkinson Walter Bradford 9b 23
CLOUGH Annie Louisa Bradford,Y. 9b 23 <<<
DODGE Edwin Augustus Bradford, Y 9b 23 <<<
FRANKISH Esther Ann Bradford,Y. 9b 23

Edwin Augustus Dodge << coastguard, widower of Dingle Co Kerry
Birth Year: abt 1864
Marriage or Bann Date: 4 Apr 1901
Parish: Bowling, St Stephen
Father's Name: Alfred Dodge <<carpenter
Spouse's Name: Annie Louisa Clough << 32, spinster of 32 Ackworth st??
Spouse's Father's Name: John Clough <<book binder, dec.

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Dec 2012 18:52

thanks guys and gals il have to ask mother in law and aunt to get marriage cert xxxx happy new year all xxxx

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Dec 2012 18:53

Just a thought - could William have been illegitimate? Yes, I know his dad may have been a missionary or lay minister but .........

That could explain why he was Jones later on. Although the Kerry records aren't on-line surely his birth should be listed in the Irish civil registrations 1864-1958

An odd thing is that on the original image of the 1901 Irish census that Edwin says widower but also "not married" ??

The original image of the English 1911 gives his birthplace as East Coker.

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Dec 2012 20:10

the george edwin a dodge is brother/half brother to my william iv just spoke to mother in law marieceleste william could be illeggitmate iv no clues to williams mother only that her maiden name was jones and for some reason william change his name from dodge to jones the story goes he also joined then navy and was a boxer and won medals

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 20:30

Sorry MC, but if George Edwn A dodge is a brother/half brother for Wiliiam Dodge that would consideably point to the fact that the Edwin is both their fathers - William and surviving sibling from first marriage and Edwin from the second marriage?

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 31 Dec 2012 20:33

You're right Flip, I'd confused Edwin A Dodge with George Edwin A Dodge!

EDIT: Have deleted erroneous information.

Sarah

Sarah Report 31 Dec 2012 21:05

i know willaim dodge/jones left home at the age of 14 and joined the navy at some point but i dont dont what year or what year he came to leicester

Flip

Flip Report 31 Dec 2012 21:33

Im off to a family party in a minute but will take anothet look next year!!

I can't proove it at the moment but I think Edwin had 4 children (2 died) fron his previous marriage, then at least 2 in his second marriage.- which I've already posted.

Think he may have left his 2 earlier children in Ireland, very young,, maybe with grandparents or aunts - who knows as I can't fnd them at the moment. Maybe when William finally came over to England he was not happy with his father/new family and reverted to his grandfather's (or uncles's) name?

Not easy to trace when Co Kerry's records are not on line. Sarah go talk to your aunt again, see if there is anything more she can remember!

Happy New Year! <3

Flip

Flip Report 1 Jan 2013 06:22

Lilian Clara Louisa Dodge
Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1903
Registration district: Cahirsiveen
Birth Country: Ireland
Volume: 5
Page: 31
FHL Film Number: 101069

Lilian Clara L Dodge
Birth Date: 30 Nov 1902
Date of Registration: Feb 1997
Age at Death: 94
Registration district: North East Lincolnshire
Inferred County: Lincolnshire
Register Number: C45C
District and Subdistrict: 5481C
Entry number: 9

Flip

Flip Report 1 Jan 2013 06:31

Got them!!

Edwin A Dodge
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1866
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Mary A Dodge
Where born: Yeovil, Somerset, England

Civil parish: Stoke Damerel
Ecclesiastical parish: St James
County/Island: Devon

Street Address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status: View image <<Seaman R.N.

Registration district: Stoke Damerel
Sub-registration district: Tamar
ED, institution, or vessel: 4
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 1746
Folio: 105
Page Number: 9
Household Members: Name Age
Edwin A Dodge 25
Mary A Dodge 19 <<Born Plympton, Devon
Alfred T Dodge 1 <<Plympton

Alfred T Doidge