Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

william gill

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

David Ian

David Ian Report 25 Jan 2013 10:24

hi i am having greay difficulty tracing a william gill according to the only census i can find him on he was born scotland about 1841 and was living in witton park durham in 1881 census i have his wedding cert and he married elizabeth coles november 1868 she though appears on a 1870 census still as elizabeth coles with a maria gill who is one year old if any one could help me find william on 1871 census or help me find out were he was born i would be most grateful many thanks david hullah

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 11:02

If you purchase the marriage certificate ref 10a 269 Q4 1868 Auckland it will show William's father and his occupation and will be a starting point for search on 1851 & 1861 censuses
The 1881 census has William aged 36 which makes him born in 1845
Free BMDs
death ? William Gill Q1 1913 Stockton ref 10a 89 aged 68
(Stockton is where his last child was born in 1880 -according to an Ancestry tree)

edit - sorry, I see you already have his marriage certificate

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jan 2013 11:16

What are the details on the marriage certificate? Does it give parents names and wit;

David Ian

David Ian Report 25 Jan 2013 11:43

hi reply to both yes have his wed cert his father was robert gill williams ocupation was iron worker robert coulter and mary ann coles were witnesses even with all that info still can not find him on any other census or any of the family cant seem to understand why if he married elizabeth in1868 why she had gone back to elizabeth coles on the 1871 census any one got a clue many thanks david

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 25 Jan 2013 11:48

It may have been a mistake by the enumerator. her father may have just said her name and she is my daughter so she was put down as Coles. her status is ticked under unmarried. May have just been general confusion on how the questions were asked .

Rather odd tho that maria is described as daughter in law rather than grandaughter

Gee

Gee Report 25 Jan 2013 11:52

For ref

1881 England Census
Name: William Gill
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1845
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Elizabeth Gill
Where born: Scotland

Civil parish: Witton le Wear
County/Island: Durham

Street Address: John St
Condition as to marriage: Married

Registration district: Auckland
Sub-registration district: Hamsterley
ED, institution, or vessel: 23
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 4930
Folio: 119
Page Number: 40
Household Members: Name Age
William Gill 36
Elizabeth Gill 34
Maria Gill 11
Mary A. Gill 9
William H. Gill 4
Robert Gill 1
Robert Coulter 45

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 12:05

Death for Elizabeth ??

Elizabeth Gill Q4 1885 Stockton ref 10a 21 aged 38

The only child I can find after 1881census is Mary Ann who in 1891 is in Stockton Union Workhouse aged 19

David Ian

David Ian Report 25 Jan 2013 13:39

yes i new about mary ann because she maried my gggrandad will check up bout elizabeth gill death many thanks ps does any one no how to find out were william gill wasborn in scotland

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 13:54

On scotlands people there is only 1 William Gill birth with a father Robert between 1843 and 1848
Narrowed it down to August 1844
There's no guarantee that it is your William but if you wish to view it you will need to buy credits after registering on the site
Trying to do a search on familysearch.org but the site is unable at the moment to display results

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 14:40

there's this one I found now that familysearch is up and running again

William Paterson Gill - son of Robert Gill and Helen Paterson born August 26 1844
Melrose Roxburgh Scotland - batch no C0009-1

It looks as though it is the same record as featured on Scotlandspeople

Does the middles name Paterson feature on his marrriage certificate ?

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 14:47

Marriage from family search

Robert Gill to Helen Paterson Dec 22 1828 Melrose Roxburgh
batch no M11799-7

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 15:15

If this is your Robert you can find this on familysearch .org

Birth Robert Gill son of Robert Gill and Betty Grieve b Jan14 1807 Galahiels
batch no C11775-2

He can easliy be found on several Scotland censuses as well as appearing in a tree on Ancestry which has Gills going back to a Thomas Gill b abt 1670 Galashiels

If you wish to view this tree you can on this free link

https://www.mundia.com/gb

Good hunting !

Mary

Mary Report 25 Jan 2013 15:28

Witness to their marriage was Robert Coulter in 1868,he was also was with them in 1881.
Can anyone see him in 1871.
He was born @ 1836 in Ireland according to 1881 census.
He must have been a good friend or rellie maybe!

Maryb.

Barry

Barry Report 25 Jan 2013 15:35

Just had another look again at the censuses for Robert and see now that he was a wool manufacturer, so it looks like I've been researching the wrong Robert Gill Thought I'd cracked it - Don't know where to go from here

David Ian

David Ian Report 25 Jan 2013 16:05

hi any thanks to you all for your help will try find robert coulter and in answer to did william have middle name dont think so was not on wed cert anyway but will use all the info and maybe go forward some more many thanks david